First deadbeat renter

You'll be lucky if they are evicted before that baby's first birthday.
Nah...this is Virginia, which is pro-landlord, or at least as pro-landlord as you can get. Proceedings in Md would be much more painful.
That karma thing though is nothing to be sneezed at. Although all the signs portend more trouble down the line.

Get the ball rolling. Tell her why you are doing it...hint:to cover you butt! She's into you for a month already....

Serve/send the papers as needed, and an additional note stating that if she pays xxx by Feb 5th (NO CHECKS!) you will stop eviction proceedings.

it's business. I was on here asking the same thing a few months ago. The kind-hearted responses like "oh, give her a chance...at least she didnt _______" helped me justify the extra time. She paid it,and was a midnight 'skip' the next month...I wish I would've kicked her out the first time!!

Your gut is the one thing you can rely on. If your gut says to let her slide and you get burned...your gut will be better trained for next time!

Since tenant never showed up at court he automatically lost the case and all back rent, damages,my legal fees, clean up fees,etc. all went on his credit. Ive never seen a dime and im Sure he could care less about the knock on his credit.

I guess if people today are willing to walk away from a house/mortgage they're upside down in, they'd sure be capable of walking away from back rent, fees, etc.

Serve/send the papers as needed, and an additional note stating that if she pays xxx by Feb 5th (NO CHECKS!) you will stop eviction proceedings.

Is there any reason for the (NO CHECKS!) other than concern that the check will bounce?

Is there any reason for the (NO CHECKS!) other than concern that the check will bounce?
... it also prolongs the process (i.e. delays everything), in that you THINK you have a paid up rent for the month. By the time you figure it out, you're another 3 weeks out. I had one tenet that gave me an out of state check. It took weeks to clear. Do you think the bank gave me 3 more weeks on the mortgage payment? I told her no more out of state checks. A few months later she tried the same trick ... I refused the check and gave her a late notice. 3 months later I had her evicted. I did get all my back rents (3 court sessions). It cost me time, a lawyer, court filing fees, ...etc. Being nice does not pay the mortgage.

That karma thing though is nothing to be sneezed at.

totally agree with the Real estate God. She's been good to me but I make my offerings.

Buku. You need the follow up lease talk with your tenant. First you got strung for 15 days then 30 now we're talking 2/5/2008. 5 days past your security deposit!! OK she said 15th and maybe brother screwed her but she said she would be caught up the 1st. So why now the 5th?

Did you ask her why she needed all those beds and baths when she rented? I believe that's legal. Do you have a list of backup tenants that you turned down because you wanted to rent to her because she was a single? If so then I'd get rid of her and all the people in her group that you would not have rented to in the first place if she had not deceived you. If she's the best of the crop even with her entourage then you should get them all on the lease remind them of the rules, perhaps collect more rent for the added bodies. If your talk reveals that she wants to be the only tenant as per the agreement then let her know that she needs to live up to her agreement because you are prepared to enforce it. Talk to her before the first.

We aren't seasoned landlords (use a property management company and so far, knock on wood, no problem tenants), but I recommend you check out the forums at Welcome to MR LANDLORD for free rental forms, management software, real estate books and landlord advice to better manage and lease rental property. Plenty of seasoned landlords over there who deal with these kinds of issues all the time. Be prepared, however, for some to be a little harsh with their advice...gotta have some thick skin there!

How long did you sign the rental management contract, and is the fee 5% of rent?

Have you used any of the forms or books from Mr. Landlord?

1 is in Front Royal VA. Brand New 3/2.5 with a finished basement and a 1 car garage. 1500sq/ft.
Request recommendations from more seasoned owners.
Is the property within an hour's commute of a military base?

If so then find their housing assistance office or website and try to rent to military tenants. They get paid twice a month whether they're healthy, ill, pregnant, or smoking...

How long did you sign the rental management contract, and is the fee 5% of rent?

Have you used any of the forms or books from Mr. Landlord?

We did not use any forms or books from Mr. Landlord b/c we decided to go with the management company, and they have all their own forms, etc. We decided to go with the management company because we are two hours away and would have difficulty showing the property.

We had a lawyer look over the rental management contracts for 2 or 3 mngmt companies we were looking at. She advised us against 2 of them due to the contracts being too favorable towards the mngmt company (sorry, can't remember now what the issues were, it was 2 years ago). We signed the contract to be effective for around 3 or 4 months time (while they marketed the property and looked for a renter). We figured if they hadn't placed anyone by then we'd consider another mngmt company (if we had to...mind you, the choices for mngmt companies were slim).

Once a renter signs the agreement is extended for 12 months from the date the renter signs the lease. The agreement automatically renews for 12 months if the renter renews, unless we notify them 30 days prior to the lease expiration that we want to end the agreement.

We pay the mngmt company first month's rent for lease-up and then 10% thereafter for ongoing management. Fairly standard for our area; I hear it varies slightly from region to region.

There are certainly some things we don't like about our mngmt company (like when there is an accounting error it takes forever for someone to correct it), and they took way too long to find out last tenant. However, it's the best option for us in our situation.

We pay the mngmt company first month's rent for lease-up and then 10% thereafter for ongoing management. Fairly standard for our area; I hear it varies slightly from region to region.

Yeah the manager I used got 1 month's fee and 10% ... then 12% then 15%. Then I cut them off. Impossible to make $$ when plumbers are sent for toilet clogs and relighting a pilot. They would have sent an electrician to change a light bulb ... way too much CYA.

Yeah the manager I used got 1 month's fee and 10% ... then 12% then 15%. Then I cut them off. Impossible to make $$ when plumbers are sent for toilet clogs and relighting a pilot. They would have sent an electrician to change a light bulb ... way too much CYA.

Thankfully, no raises in % yet. And, also, no repairs needed yet (knock on wood...property is only 3 years old).

This is only temporary, while we are traveling on assignment. Not sure if we will eventually move back in, sell, or what. Will cross that bridge when we get to it...

Back
Top Bottom