First experience with HRB tax SW

MichaelB

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
DD's taxes were just filed using H&R Block tax SW. There have been quite a few questions about how HRB compares with TT, so I thought I'd share a few observations and my general impression.

The bottom line is this was simpler than last year's effort using TT (for DD). Fewer clicks, and the questions were easy to answer. My recollection of TT is many clicks, and even with simple returns some questions are more complex than necessary. For the most part, a breeze to complete.

Three irritations. First, to create a PDF copy of the filed return I had to install a 3rd party program (pdf995) supplied by HRB. I'll remove it when all the returns have been filed, but I prefer to keep this type of SW off my machine.

Second bug - after completing the return, during the review stage, it reports a "needs verification" item (Roth 401(k) contribution), in this case, incorrectly. (I'm attaching a screenshot).

Finally, when setting up the refund, it offers an option for gift cards with an additional 10%, in lieu of cash. To reject this option and have the cash refunded one must click on a line that reads "Choose this option if you're not getting a refund". That was a real disappointment. (also attaching screenshot)

DD's return is easy, we'll see how it goes with others that have lots more input. Anyone else switch from TT to HRB this year?

Attachments

• HR Block.jpg
    HR Block.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 31
  • HR Block warning.jpg
    HR Block warning.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 26
You don't need pdf995 if you have other PDF printing software on your machine. I use CutePDF. The data verification warning is just something for you to double check. It said right there the flagged item may or may not be a problem. The "Choose this option if you're not getting a refund" perhaps should read "Also choose this option if you're not getting a refund." That's how I read it.

I've used the PDF995 software as my PDF creator ever since I installed it 4 or 5 years ago when I started using H&B Block tax software. Nothing to fear.

You don't need pdf995 if you have other PDF printing software on your machine. I use CutePDF.

How do you get around pdf995 then? I just opened up HRB Tax software and tried to save to PDF a return I'm working on. It said I needed pdf995. However, I have the full Adobe Acrobat software on my computer so I shouldn't need pdf995 or CutePDF or anything else. But, I didn't see any option to bypass using pdf995>

I've used the HRB software for a few years - switched from Turbo Tax years back because of some privacy issues at the time with Turbo Tax. I've never seen the 'refund bonus' thing before, and it's pretty annoying. I'm not sure it will help, but I'll be sure to send them an opinion about it.

I've used the HRB software for a few years - switched from Turbo Tax years back because of some privacy issues at the time with Turbo Tax. I've never seen the 'refund bonus' thing before, and it's pretty annoying. I'm not sure it will help, but I'll be sure to send them an opinion about it.

+1 !

How do you get around pdf995 then? I just opened up HRB Tax software and tried to save to PDF a return I'm working on. It said I needed pdf995. However, I have the full Adobe Acrobat software on my computer so I shouldn't need pdf995 or CutePDF or anything else. But, I didn't see any option to bypass using pdf995>
Just print and select the printer created by your full Adobe Acrobat software instead of a hardware printer.

I don't see what is annoying about it. It seems like it is an option which you are free to accept or not. I use Turbo Tax last year and got a small refund. There was an option to get an Amazon gift card and get an extra 10%. We spend a lot of money at Amazon so I was happy to get the extra 10%. (There was a cap on how much of a refund bonus you could get, don't recall what it was).

I haven't finished my HR Block tax return yet, but I am also getting a refund this year and I will likely be happy to get a refund bonus for a store that I regularly patronize.

It's more the wording and navigation of the screen, rather than the offer itself (see the screen shot). Looks like the option to skip it is in tiny and poorly worded print at the bottom, seemingly forcing you into the choice of taking the offer. I really dislike that type of user interface dialog, purposefully misleading. I also dislike being advertised to in a product that I've purchased.

Back
Top Bottom