Flat Tire Today

I have to say i'm a bit surprised by all the not-so-young, finacially well off people who are willing to get on their hands and knees to change a tire. As far as i'm concerned the only tool you need is a cell phone with AAA's number in it.

The reason is simple: we like to re-tire.

I dunno, for emergency car tire removal, getting a rechargeable impact wrench seems to be a hassle. You have to remember to keep it charged up and eventually you'll need to replace the pricey batteries. A 2 foot breaker bar is about $20 on amazon and should last a lifetime. If you can't get the lug juts off with one of those, then you're either using it wrong or your mechanics are complete morons, and you probably have warped rotors and /or broken studs.

I'll conceed large trucks and RVs can be more challenging.

Last edited:
I have to say i'm a bit surprised by all the not-so-young, finacially well off people who are willing to get on their hands and knees to change a tire. As far as i'm concerned the only tool you need is a cell phone with AAA's number in it.

Some of us like being able to do things on our own without being at the mercy of someone else. I think it's foolish for anyone who owns a car to be unwilling to learn how to change a flat...if they're physically capable, of course.

I've swapped between 3 and 6 sets of winter/summer tires twice a year for the last 3 decades...call it well over 200 tire swaps. That's literally several thousand saved over the years for myself, friends, and family.

Yes, the one that Braumeister posted looks like a car one. Didn't notice earlier. Now I need to try youtube for a video of that in action :).

Here's one similar to the one Braumeister talked about, which was made by Garett Wade. These types come with smaller sockets for car wheels. They are made with a lower gear ratio of 1:18, compared to 1:58 and higher for truck wheels.

For cars, just this 4-way 20" lug wrench is usually enough. Costs $11 at Harborfreight.
image_14831.jpg

Last edited:
+1
Have low profile, run flat, high performance tires with no spares in the car.
The run flat concept has not been tested yet in 6 years.:blush:

I used to have Z-rated tires on my Dodge Stealth, and they weren't run-flats, but one day I decided to check the pressure, and the gauge did not register! They still looked fine, but I'm sure my mileage and tire wear suffered! Glad they have TPS in the cars now! Mine goes off about every 4 to 6 months, and I use my scuba tank to refill!

Here's one similar to the one Braumeister talked about, which was made by Garett Wade. These types come with smaller sockets for car wheels. They are made with a lower gear ratio of 1:18, compared to 1:58 and higher for truck wheels.

For cars, just this 4-way 20" lug wrench is usually enough. Costs $11 at Harborfreight.
image_14831.jpg

Thanks. Good to see various options available.

image_14831.jpg

I would be careful on buying a cheap one... I bought one at Auto Zone and when I had to remove a lug nut that would not budge I stood on the handle.... the head of the 4X split!!! It was a cheap model and when I went back to exchange the ones they had felt much heavier and were much sturdier...

I do not own anything with tires, whenever that happens to me now, I just hop out of the taxi and get into another one.

Back
Top Bottom