Folding Bikes

harllee

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
DH and I each have folding bikes (Dahon). We originally bought them about 15 years ago to carry under our motorhome and then we carried them on our boat. We no longer have the motorhome or boat but we still have the folding bikes and we have been riding more than usual and really enjoying them. We just fold them up and stick them in the trunk of our car and take them anywhere we want to ride. Because the wheels are smaller than a regular bike you cannot go as fast or as far but they are fine for shorter rides and great for exercise.

I recently looked at some folding bikes like ours on eBay (same age and model) and they are selling for more than we paid for them!

Anyone else have folding bikes?

I have a Montague folding bike that is pretty close to full size but folds very nicely and easily fits in any car trunk. It's probably 20 years old and doesn't get used much any more, but I used to take it on camping trips and really enjoyed having it.

For some reason I appreciate things that fold into compact forms. I have a 25 year old folding kayak I still use as well.

I also have a Dahon which I got about 15 years ago. Model name Piccolo D3.

16 inch diameter wheels. Makes a great roundabout, scooting around town for short errands.

Back when I bought it, the purchase was a blow that dough splurge. But now I consider that one of the best purchases I've made and would never go to a full size non-fold again (unless I was going long distances, but that's not my riding habit).

Last edited:
While on a bike tour of the Baja from LA to Cabo, we (DW) rode with a guy from Belgium in his 20s for 200+ miles. This strong, young man with a loaded Dahon , had no problem keeping the pace. We were surprised how strong he was. Although, we have not been known to set speed records.

I have tried Moultons and Bike Fridays and liked them. People ride them all sorts of distances. Bike Friday even sells ebike versions of its folders now. David Byrne (Talking Heads) wrote Bicycle Diaries about his rides while touring. He took a Montague with him wherever he went.

Last edited:
I bought DW a classic Brompton once. She used it a little until her condition worsened to the point she can't bicycle anymore.

I've seen some folding mountain bikes and tourers online lately. The mountain bikes in particular were quite drool worthy.

My crazy friend also had a custom folder made with a titanium frame by a local frame maker. It allowed him to fly with it and get all the specifics he wanted (26" tires, internal hub gear, belt drive, etc..).

He ended up riding it from the Yukon back home to Ontario 5 years ago (+/- 3500 miles) No problems that I recall.

Wife and I both have Brompton M6L bikes. I have 3 other bikes.

Brompton's are the smallest fold and are amazing engineering marvels. Every piece is well thought out. I can do my own maintenance quite easily. Parts are available online.

Supply is short right now. Prices are high. 2017 and up saw some very nice changes. So I think of pre-2016 and 2017 and later.

Three bars Flat bar (S), Medium high bars (M) and Taller bars (H). 1,2,3 or 6 gears. Many configurable options.

If you want top notch, research Brompton.

<snip>Because the wheels are smaller than a regular bike you cannot go as fast or as far but they are fine for shorter rides and great for exercise.
<snip>
The wheel size makes little difference. I have had a Bike Friday for many years. My model ("New World Tourist") was designed for serious touring. I can certainly go as far, and I arguably can go as fast, as on a "regular" touring bike. Actually, to be perfectly honest, I did a little bit of unscientific testing, and I seemed to average about 0.5 mph slower on my Bike Friday. One study that I read about found no speed difference, however.

I've had my Bike Friday for years and have toured on 5 continents on it. It's not a quick fold like a Brompton. However, it was designed for serious touring and the ability to pack it in a regulation-sized suitcase. That makes it much easier for taking on planes. I have biked up mountain with panniers on my Bike Friday many times.

The 2 highest-quality makers of folding bikes that I know are Bike Friday & Brompton. For your purposes, a Brompton would make more sense. However, Bike Friday does have a quick-fold model. I should add that I've heard of but never ridden a Montague, and so I can't comment on their quality. But I test rode a few Dahon models and both Bike Friday & Brompton are vastly superior. But neither is cheap.

I've owned a couple of Bike Fridays and other folders. In a densely urban context with good mass transit (which means much of Europe but very few U.S. cities) they're truly amazing tools - and they're a lot of fun in any case as long as you understand their limitations.

Brompton as others have said is in a league of their own for urban practicality but they've become a "cult" if you will for other reasons, including not just great engineering but making their bikes in the U.K., paying all of their workers a living wage and constantly innovating. For anyone interested in going "down the rabbit hole" this video of Brompton's CEO at Google is really fun. I came away wanting to own nothing but their bikes, but they are expensive.

I've never owned a folding bike, but have ridden lots of other bikes (from cruisers to racers to all sorts of mountain bikes). Could someone who's spent time on a folding bike and a conventional road or mountain bike compare the riding experience (level of effort, speed, balance, etc). I'd consider getting a folding bike for international travel, but if they ride like a heavy beach cruiser I'd just as soon rent a conventional bike at my destination as I've done in the past.

I've never owned a folding bike, but have ridden lots of other bikes (from cruisers to racers to all sorts of mountain bikes). Could someone who's spent time on a folding bike and a conventional road or mountain bike compare the riding experience (level of effort, speed, balance, etc). I'd consider getting a folding bike for international travel, but if they ride like a heavy beach cruiser I'd just as soon rent a conventional bike at my destination as I've done in the past.

I started this thread and have a 15 year old Dahon. It is pretty heavy but easy to fold (only takes me a minute to fold). I definitely can ride faster and with less effort on a regular sized bike. On the other hand it is easy for me--a 69 year old woman to balance and get on and off. Speed does not really matter to me as I mainly ride for fun and exercise. I get a good workout riding the little Dahon. The prices of most folding bikes are pretty high-- even the 15 year old ones like mine. I could sell mine today for more than I paid for it 15 years ago but then to replace it with a new one would cost a bundle.

I'd just as soon rent a conventional bike at my destination as I've done in the past.

I think that's exactly what you should do. I would never consider bringing a bike on an international trip.

Throwing it in the trunk of your car is one thing, but taking it on a plane? Not a chance.

You don't need to make any sacrifices with a Bike Friday. They're a very high quality bike, made-to-order in Eugene, OR. Mine rides virtually the same as my traditional bikes. It takes me 25 or 30 minutes to pack it into the suitcase, and the same amount of time to put if back together. It goes into an off-the-shelf hard-sided plastic suitcase. My current suitcase for it is made by American Tourister.

I've never had to pay any bike fees to an airline, which were often outrageously high. I have flown with it at least 30 times. So far, no damage. And it was made to fit me. The weight is about the same as my traditional touring bike or my old mountain bike. While mine is their touring model, Bike Friday has models more like a road bike, as well as like a mountain bike. They even have a tandem, which packs into 2 suitcases.

Personally, I would not rent a bike for any serious riding, esp. for a tour. I have learned the hard way that if the frame doesn't fit me, I can injure my knees easily.

Some cyclists say they find the steering "twitchy", whatever that means. I don't. I do find the steering a bit more precise than my other bikes. I prefer the precise steering because most of my riding is in urban & suburban areas with traffic. You can get virtually any components you want.

I toured on my Bike Friday in Colombia last year, which is a very mountainous country. I toured in France with a friend for our 60th birthdays. He also has a Bike Friday. He always followed the Tour de France and wanted to do one of the famous climbs of the Tour. I had previously biked up the Col du Tourmalet & Mont Ventoux on my BF with panniers. So with my friend, we climbed up Alpe d'Huez (the hardest of the 3). I've also used it to tour on the unpaved GAP Trail and C&O Canal towpath.

I've always been able to leave the empty suitcase in a hotel or with a friend while I toured, so that hasn't been an issue.

Cycling up the Alpe d'Huez (and some of equally godawful grades in the Dolomites) are longtime dreams of mine. These days, though, I suspect I'd need my mountain bike with its old man gearing to make it.

I'm curious, do you use conventional road drivetrains on these 20" wheel bikes. If so I imagine climbing must feel a bit like using a mountain bike on the road (i.e. much lower gearing than a conventional road bike making steep grades significantly easier but slower).

Knowing nothing about the bikes, but looking at some pictures it looks like the riding position might make them a bit less stable at higher speeds going downhill.

Interested in comments about both downhill and uphill performance.

I researched folding bikes a few years ago and read that some buildings don't allow even folding bikes in the elevators. I think some of the smallest ones can fit in some bags that aren't bike bags, so the trick is to find the smallest bike and the biggest bag if you may bring it in one of those buildings.

You can get whatever gearing you want. My newer BF has a triple crank with 13-32 cassette. I don't recall the size of my chainrings. It's similar to my traditional touring bike gearing. My older BF has an internal rear hub shifter which acts like a triple crankset.

Alpe d'Huez was brutal. The steepest part was at the beginning, which was discouraging. It was also a very hot day. I admit that I walked part of it. I pedaled the whole way up the Tourmalet & Mont Ventoux. For the latter, I did the easiest of the 3 approaches. It was easy except for the final 4 km or so. I've never been a fast rider, but I'm usually a strong climber.

I almost never ride my conventional bikes anymore. That's how much I like my BF.

Wow, I am impressed with where and how you folks are riding your folding bikes! At age 69 I ride every my Dahon every other day for an hour or two on a greenway or rail trail or in a park and I tried to avoid long hills!

The costs of bikes now is mind boggling. I got on the Dahon website and to replace my bike with a new bike would be about $1000--and they are all sold out.

These custom made bikes like the Bike Friday--about how much would one of those cost?

Last edited:
You can get whatever gearing you want.

I assume this means whatever gearing is already manufactured for road and mountain bikes rather than something specially manufactured for folding bikes. As a result drivetrains made for 29"/700C wheels will give about 1/3rd lower effective gearing on 20" wheels. That's probably a good thing as this compensates for what looks like a somewhat less efficient body position than that on a standard road bike.

It is a different ride for sure. The smaller wheels make you feel the road more. As for balance - on a regular bike I can be like a kid and take both hands off and cruise no handed. No way would I or could I do that on the Brompton. I feel connected to the road at every second and it is less forgiving. Once you get used to it that’s fine and fun but it is a different feeling.

I am following Bike Friday's ebike developments. I have ridden BF Tickets and thought they were darn good. But DW and I have custom sport touring bikes that meet our needs at home and on tours we go with the whole package - bikes included. So we are not looking at folders for our primary rides. But, as I get up into my 70s I am becoming more interested in ebikes and could eventually see getting a high end, light weight version. What gives me pause is winter - the batteries are not suitable for the deep freeze in the garage and my house is not ideal for storing two full sized bikes. Folded BF ebikes might be a good answer to that.

What gives me pause is winter - the batteries are not suitable for the deep freeze in the garage and my house is not ideal for storing two full sized bikes. Folded BF ebikes might be a good answer to that.

Remove the battery and store that in the house when temps drop below freezing?
I think lithium ion batteries can take some degree of cold but can't be safely charged below freezing.

Remove the battery and store that in the house when temps drop below freezing?
I think lithium ion batteries can take some degree of cold but can't be safely charged below freezing.
Maybe, but I have been looking at high end, light weight models with the battery in the bottom tube which can be a PITA to remove. I hang my bikes vertically along my tiny garage's wall so I need to be able to pick them up and hang them from the front wheel or clip the wheel into a wall mount. The heavy, typical ebike that needs to be parked standing up won't work for me. What I would really like is a high end road/touring style ebike with an easy to pop out battery. By the time I really need it they may be available.

Getting back on topic an e-folder could be easy to move inside and could be nice for throwing in the back of the car for a trip. Bike Friday's sound good but I suspect other choices may be available by the time I need one.

I have a Downtube bicycle with 20 inch wheels and internal hub gear shirting. It is great but usually I ride one of my other bicycles. Wish I bought one for DW but I looked at the prices onlie.Way higher.

What I would really like is a high end road/touring style ebike with an easy to pop out battery. By the time I really need it they may be available.

Getting back on topic an e-folder could be easy to move inside and could be nice for throwing in the back of the car for a trip. Bike Friday's sound good but I suspect other choices may be available by the time I need one.

Keep an eye out for this one:
https://www.montaguebikes.com/product/m-e1/

Back
Top Bottom