Found $ What would you have done?

As a freshman in high school I found a $5 bill on the floor of a Burger King on a field trip stop. As I was taught, I gave it to the guy behind the counter. Um, yeah, I realized later they just pocketed it.

You did what you could to honestly find the owner. Random money lying around is fair game. I mean…if you ask if anyone lost any money you would get a lot of people saying it was theirs. I would always turn in money with an ID attached, but, random money…sorry, they should have kept it with their identification so it could be returned.

My late husband was the finder of money… usually dumped down the trash chute into the dumpster. One of the perks of owning a janitorial company.

Timing is good here, one year a family received a large box of gifts for Chinese new year. They neglected to take any of the little red envelopes. My husband found them as he broke down the box. I will never understand why people think it’s perfectly OK to stick a huge unbroken down box into a dumpster and half fill it. We left a note with the unit, never heard back. We open the envelope and found Hong Kong dollars, took them to our bank and walked out with 400 bucks.

Even more than that somebody left two Rolex watches that needed work and were disgustingly filthy on the recycle shelf, the “free to a good home” place.

And nobody wanted them. I now have two Rolex watches which is kind of like owning one of those Tamagotchi things — they’re annoying but pretty. I need to get them fixed.

As for me, I was cleaning the exterior of the building that I worked picking up trash. My once a week thing. I found a liquor bottle underneath a shrub, and when I looked up into the shrub I found four purses stuck into it. I left them there, finished my pick up, and snagged them on my way out. Took them to the local PD. I didn’t look in them or anything I just left them alone to hand in. The police officer who took them in looked and none of them were local. Not surprising it’s near a transportation hub of classes and BART trains.

She asked if I wanted a reward and I said no. If the person insisted, find a place for it in the police department I’m sure there is some thing you can donate to.

I found $100 on the ground and thought "What would Jesus do?". So I turned it into wine...

They do say money is the root of all evil. [emoji23]

I say finders keepers losers weepers.
I have been on both ends of it so...
No. Money is not the root of all evil , despite the O'jays lyric to that effect.

The love of money is the root of all evil. 1Tim 6:10

But your point is well made. After a reasonable search I would view it as a windfall.

There's an echo in here.

Slightly misquoted by most folks: It's actually "The LOVE of money is the root of all evil." Money is just a tool and, as my tag lines states it can be used and/or misused.:flowers: YMMV

Ummm, that's not a "slight misquote" - that's a butchering. It completely changes the meaning of the verse. :cool:

Last edited:
Saw a glint in the surf one summer at the beach when I was a kid.

Turned out to be someone's class ring.

Took nearly a day of canvassing houses up & down the beach (in the days before high rises) but got the owner's address.

Mailed it off to them & never heard back.

Saw a glint in the surf one summer at the beach when I was a kid.

Turned out to be someone's class
Mailed it off to them & never heard back.

Seems the owner a bit ungrateful. Guess I would first mail a card or letter asking the person to describe the ring before offering to send it. They’ll know to, at the very least, offer to repay the cost of shipping

Back
Top Bottom