Free Turbo tax From Fidelity

That's not the way it works and i it did they certainly woud not be giving it to a very small customer. There are specific guidelines that they supposedly follow.

They obviously made a mistake or there is more to ths situation than we are being told.

If it were me, I would use it with no reservation. As has been mentioned here many times (and years) before, there are published guidelines as to who definitely qualifies for it. Those guidelines are just that, just guidelines. Many here, including myself, have not meet those parameters yet still receive the benefit year after year. There must be other qualifications beyond those that are published. As such, who are we to question what those are. I would recommend she take the offer. Use it guilt free. Be grateful for the freebee and quietly hope she gets it again next year.

there is more to ths situation than we are being told.

That's the understatement of the year. None of us understand who "should" get it or why.

I would not hesitate to use it if they gave it to me. No matter my account size. I would not feel guilty, and I would not worry that they made a mistake. That's just not my concern.

That's the understatement of the year. None of us understand who "should" get it or why.

I would not hesitate to use it if they gave it to me. No matter my account size. I would not feel guilty, and I would not worry that they made a mistake. That's just not my concern.
Nor I. And calling Fidelity to ask if you can use it reminds me of people who call a retailer to tell them about a price mistake on their site and ask whether it's OK to order the item.

As for who should get it, I got an email from my rep this week explaining the criteria (I've gotten it for years and asked her some questions about eligibility based on posts here and elsewhere). They are as we have pretty much figured out, and she did confirm that it's PCG *and* working with a rep. So for the people here who do not have a rep assigned and did not get the offer, that' it.

The reps are not notified who has the offer but are told when it is available (but not immediately apparently because she had not heard when I sent her email). And she agreed with me that they should do something to tell clients that it's available and get some goodwill out of it, rather than relying on people to just find it.

Last edited:
I'm disappointed in Fidelity for making this something that we have to ask for. I have an advisor, I'm a FPS customer, but I wanted to start entering my tax info, and since I couldn't find the discount link, I just went to USAA, where it was easy to find.

You just have to call the Fidelity Premium Services person assigned to your account. His/her information is at the top right after you login .
We have received $100.00 goodwill deposited in our saving account the last 3 years.
We downloaded TurboTax Premiere through Fidelity for free. And are just waiting for our tax information from Fidelity(available in the next week).

Last edited:
I'm disappointed in Fidelity for making this something that we have to ask for. I have an advisor, I'm a FPS customer, but I wanted to start entering my tax info, and since I couldn't find the discount link, I just went to USAA, where it was easy to find.
Are you complaining about not being able to find the discount or the free offer? Premium Services does not necessarily qualify for the free offer, it's Private Client that does. As for not being able to find the discount link, it's right on the Tax Forms & Information page, and it's really no better than you can find elsewhere.

Those who qualify is ambiguous at best. I’m in the Private Client Group and all I have gotten is the discount. I believe I will have to call, talk to a rep and see if I can coax it out of them. It appears there is no real qualifications to getting it as most have a different experience.

Those who qualify is ambiguous at best. I’m in the Private Client Group and all I have gotten is the discount. I believe I will have to call, talk to a rep and see if I can coax it out of them. It appears there is no real qualifications to getting it as most have a different experience.
Do you have a PCG rep assigned to you? There is some anecdotal evidence that shows that having a rep assigned to you gives you a much better chance of getting free TT that if you are PCG without an assigned rep. There are always some people who say that they got it without a rep, but many who say that they did not get it until they got one assigned.

The requirements are actually listed on the Fidelity site, although they are a bit confusing. If you are Active Trader or Active Trader Pro you should get it, and also if you are PCG.

https://www.fidelity.com/trading/active-trader-trading-service-levels

As I said in my other reply, I have read reports elsewhere of people getting TT once they had a rep assigned. And people saying they could not understand why they did not get it who do not have one assigned.

Yes, that has been proposed in the past. However I remember asking that exact question in the local branch back in 2019-ish and being told that was not "the" factor or possibly even "a" factor. They didn't know for sure either.

I haven’t had a rep in years and I got the free fed and state offer.

Yes, that has been proposed in the past. However I remember asking that exact question in the local branch back in 2019-ish and being told that was not "the" factor or possibly even "a" factor. They didn't know for sure either.

Well, it this has been going on for years, it seems like it would at least be worth trying to get a rep assigned. They won't waste their time calling if you don't want them to if that is your concern.

I checked on my home page and there it is. Did anyone get to download the 2021 version like in earlier years?

I checked on my home page and there it is. Did anyone get to download the 2021 version like in earlier years?

From a different site where this is also being discussed:

For the "download" version, once you are on the TurboTax site:

1. Click "Sitemap" toward the bottom of the landing page.
2. Scroll down to the "CD/Download Products" section.
3. Click the second item: "TurboTax 2021-2022 CD/Download ....."

Last edited:
And I will also ask you, do you have an assigned rep?

Yeah we stopped getting it for a while and in 2020 a Fidelity rep called me out of the blue and basically assigned himself to us and we started getting the free offer again. So I jawbone with the rep once a year and we get the software.

But we were happy enough buying TurboTax deluxe CD or download for $30 when we didn’t get the free Premier.

For the "download" version:

Quick note: these instructions are for the Intuit site. I could not find the download option on the Fidelity site.

FWIW, I have an assigned rep.

For the "download" version:

Thanks. I seem to go thru this every year....... one might think I would know it by now. :facepalm:

Quick note: these instructions are for the Intuit site. I could not find the download option on the Fidelity site.

FWIW, I have an assigned rep.
There is never a way to go to it directly from the Fidelity site. You always need to go to the TurboTax site and find it there once you are shown the free online version. You referenced previous years, so I assumed you knew this.

That said, I did clarify the post to say that it's once you get to the TT site.

Back
Top Bottom