Front load washer

tryan

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
So our Wirlpool front load washing machine has been making ALOT of noise in spin (sounds like a freight train!). "bearings" I am thinking ... maybe I can fix this myself. So I am looking at a few appliance repair sites ... pretty hairy job. Better leave this one to the pros.

Repair man comes in yesterday. Says the "sealing gasket and inner and outer tubs need to be replaced". "Takes 2 people" ... $294 in labor; $229.48 in parts: $523.48 total.

Now we only paid ~$650 maybe 6 years ago. "Seems accessive" I say. He says "Buy a top loader. They'll last 10-15 years. The front loaders can't fight gravity for that long with a sideways spin."

" Thanx, but no thanx on the quote" I say.

"That'll be $75 for today" he says.

"Ouch!"

My generic Kenmore top-loader washer lasted 28 years, from the time we got married until last year. If they still build it like they used to, the replacement may outlive us. BTW, the widowed drier is still working.

The LG have a different type of drive. Or buy the SamClem brand washer.

Hey, right on time. Thanks for the lead-in Martha!

The front loaders can't fight gravity for that long with a sideways spin."
The Staber washer does load in through the top, but the drum goes around on a horizontal axis (like your present front-loader does). The difference is that the drum has bearings on both ends, so there's much less strain on them. It's a very good design. Plus, no door gaskets to leak and the whole thing is designed to be rugged and fixed easily. Like front loaders, it's gentle on clothes and uses little water.
Do a search using "Staber"--I might have mentioned this machine before.;)

My generic Kenmore top-loader washer lasted 28 years, from the time we got married until last year. If they still build it like they used to, the replacement may outlive us. BTW, the widowed drier is still working.
They don't. It's all plastic now.

Front loaders can easily last decades. Maybe just not front loaders for the American market.

The difference is that the drum has bearings on both ends, so there's much less strain on them. It's a very good design.

This is key. Thanx for the tip! Repair man guessed I've got maybe 6 months of - noisy - daily use before it completely freezes. Also said he gave a woman a $1400 quote to repair a frozen unit (that quote was also declined).

The LG have a different type of drive. Or buy the SamClem brand washer.

Hey, right on time. Thanks for the lead-in Martha!

The Staber washer ....
Do a search using "Staber"--I might have mentioned this machine before.;)

I've read some of the previous Staber posts - I totally agree with you on the repair-ability and rugged, simple design aspect.

But is the LG a step up from the others? That Staber isn't cheap, and would probably far outlive our needs (our 23 YO top-load Maytag is going strong with zero, absolutely zero maintenance).

-ERD50

My theory is that if a washer is working don't replace it. Once it gives sign of impending failure start doing research.

I've read some of the previous Staber posts - I totally agree with you on the repair-ability and rugged, simple design aspect.

But is the LG a step up from the others? That Staber isn't cheap, and would probably far outlive our needs (our 23 YO top-load Maytag is going strong with zero, absolutely zero maintenance).

-ERD50

I don't really know that the LG direct drive is better because I don't know enough about how all these things work. This is what LG says:

Direct DriveTM washing machines have a powerful and reliable motor that boasts minimized vibration and noise, and reduced energy consumption. Conventional washing machines with belts and pulleys tend to wear out faster due to vibration, and create unpleasant noise and power-loss due to friction.
What Are the Advantages of Direct DriveTM?

With a Direct DriveTM motor, there are fewer moving parts. This means less vibration and noise, increased efficiency, and a decreased chance of breakdown or brush and belt replacement.
What Is Direct DriveTM?

Direct DriveTM is state-of-the-art technology that integrates the washing machine’s motor, belt, and pulley into a single, quiet, and durable mechanism, attached directly to the drum.
How Does Direct DriveTM Technology Work?

A powerful and reliable motor delivers power directly to the drum.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom