Full Motion TV Mount - which one

Katsmeow

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
We are looking for a full motion articulating TV mount for our 75" TV. The TV is not mounted on the wall right now and I expect we will have Best Buy install it.

I am just confused about the mount. Best Buy seems to mostly have Sanus mounts which for this size TV with motion are $300 or more. Like this one:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sanus-...-tvs-extends-28-black/6331611.p?skuId=6331611

Of course, I don't have to buy the mount there. On Amazon, though, many mounts have really high ratings but are far less expensive. I don't want to over pay for a mount. On the other hand, I don't want my new 75" TV to come crashing to the ground either.

Anyway -- I haven't wall mounted a TV before so want to make sure I get a new product. The wall is built for a TV to be wall mounted (the wall is a new wall and it was built so that I could mount a TV on it).

Be sure whatever mount is used, that they screw the bolts/screws into the 2x4's behind the wall, and not just into the wallboard.

Our mount for our 55" tv has full motion, can pull out and angle and tilt or push right back against the wall (out about 3 inches). It cost around $50 and was good for a larger tv, probably 65"

The $300 sounds pretty steep for a bunch of painted steel.

I bought this one for our 75" tv in 2017. Got it from amazon. Works great.

ETA. I installed it and got it level. I don't think that it swivels, rotates or tilts without using the adjustment screws on the back. It pulls out from the wall and changes angles without adjusting screws.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-03-20 at 6.04.54 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-03-20 at 6.04.54 AM.jpg
    267.6 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
All of the 6 tvs that we own are on swing mounts... we find them very handy. We typically buy them at Costco, BJ's or Amazon for $30 - $100 (they have come down in price over the years). I found that I bought one for a 27"-55" tv on Amazon for $25 in 2019 for a 32" tv that we have in a guest room. My main point is that you don't have to spend $300 on a swing mountand should be able to find a perfectly good swing mount for $100. Even a 75" flat screen doesn't weight a lot.

That Sanus mount looks like a really nice mount, but $320 is ridiculous. Costco offers a Sanus swing mount designed for 37"-90" tvs weighing up to 135# for $140. https://www.costco.com/sanus-simplicity-37"---90"-full-motion-tv-mount.product.100400168.html BJ's Wholesale Club offers a Sanus swing mount designed for 40"-82" tvs weighing up to 100# for $90. https://www.bjs.com/product/sanus-decora-full-motion-wall-mount-for-tvs-40-82/3000000000002337259 These are not as nice as the $300 mount but will do the job. We find that most of the time we have the tv extended out 12"-18" from the wall and just swing it right or left depending on whether we are watching it from the kitchen/dining area or the living area or the lanai.

We self-installed all of our swing mounts as well as for a couple friends who didn't want to take on mounting themselves. As another poster mentioned, the key is making sure that the part that mounts to the wall is lag screwed into studs... and for that a good quality studfinder is useful... you can by a good quality studfinder at Home Depot/Lowes/Ace Hardware for $30 or so.

Last edited:
The Sanus looks a lot like what we had installed in 2009 for our 60" TV. I'd normally do that kind of thing myself, but we had a big job done in that room, natural cherry wood shelves, cabinets, mantel, and paneling done on the whole wall, so they cut the wall open and attached the TV mount directly to the studs before doing the paneling and the connectors. We hardly ever move it now, but it's nice to be able to adjust the angle.

I bought this one for our 75" tv in 2017. Got it from amazon. Works great.

ETA. I installed it and got it level. I don't think that it swivels, rotates or tilts without using the adjustment screws on the back. It pulls out from the wall and changes angles without adjusting screws.
I second the VideoSecu recommendation. I put a couple up years ago for 32" TVs. They were so solidly in the wall (studs) that I feel that I could've done pull ups on them! Stores that sell TVs have tremendous mark ups on stands because they know people research and compare TVs, but probably don't think about mounts so they'll just buy what's there so they can get their TV set up asap.

Be sure whatever mount is used, that they screw the bolts/screws into the 2x4's behind the wall, and not just into the wallboard.

Our mount for our 55" tv has full motion, can pull out and angle and tilt or push right back against the wall (out about 3 inches). It cost around $50 and was good for a larger tv, probably 65"

The $300 sounds pretty steep for a bunch of painted steel.
There are some comparable alternatives posted above...

...but it seems some apples v oranges going on here. The OP linked to a mount that articulates a 90” TV out up to 28” - that’s pretty extreme! The greater the range of motion and weight carrying capacity, the more it’s going to cost. We have a Sanus mount with full range of motion, though much more limited range and only up to 75” TVs, that I got on sale for just over $100 at Best Buy...

Attachments

• 8FA53919-65D2-4949-9191-7ED4EF607749.jpeg
    8FA53919-65D2-4949-9191-7ED4EF607749.jpeg
    948.1 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Al

We self-installed all of our swing mounts as well as for a couple friends who didn't want to take on mounting themselves. As another poster mentioned, the key is making sure that the part that mounts to the wall is lag screwed into studs... and for that a good quality studfinder is useful... you can by a good quality studfinder at Home Depot/Lowes/Ace Hardware for $30 or so.

We would never install ourselves. We ordered the TV online during Covid so we just had it delivered and not set up for us, figuring it was easy. Well, getting a stand attached to a large flatscreen is more difficult than it sounds. After we got it done we both agreed we should have paid the $20 for the set up and had us all wear masks....

We do have a stud in the wall for this thing to be installed in. The wall was built for that purpose when we did the remodeling (we removed a brick fireplace).

I will check Costco. The problem with Amazon for some products is that they are cheap and have great reviews because they look good when they arrive. But -- they aren't durable. If I am buying something that I don't care about durability (Fitbit bands when I wore a Fitbit) then that is fine. But for something expensive like my TV the durability is really important. It is just hard to figure out which ones on Amazon are good and which are really junk (even though they have good reviews).

...but it seems some apples v oranges going on here. The OP linked to a mount that articulates a 90” TV out up to 28” - that’s pretty extreme! The greater the range of motion and weight carrying capacity, the more it’s going to cost. We have a Sanus mount with full range of motion, though much more limited range and only up to 75” TVs, that I got on sale for just over $100 at Best Buy...

This is a legit point. I probably don't need to have it articulate quite that much. But it is a large room and there will be seating that is perpendicular to the TV (although more to the side) as well as seating directly in front of it. So I want at least some articulation. Our TV is 75". But, yes, there was one that was not quite so extreme at Best Buy that was about $250. Still the supposedly comparable item on Amazon was a lot less..... But is it comparable in quality?

Guess I was not clear enough:

can pull out and angle and tilt. This goes out crazy far much like your photo

OR

push right back against the wall (out about 3 inches). When pushed flat against the wall, it is not flat against the wall it projects about 3" from the wall.

I dunno.... either of these look pretty good to me.... first is for tvs up to 75"/132# for $40 and second is for tvs up to 80"/130# for $60. IMO the weight spec is most important. But they probably don't cost enough to be worthy. :D

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WDTT69X/ref=emc_b_5_i

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics...B01KBEOM2G/ref=psdc_760796_t1_B081M5HPCD?th=1

I am not looking to pay extra money. But, sometimes you do get what you paid for. For something that it doesn't matter if it lasts a long time, then I will take the chance. But when it is going to hold up my new 75" TV I want to be sure. Hence, the reason for my inquiry.

All of the mounts that we have were less than $100 as I use our tvs ecall and we have never had a problem at all.... it is a pretty simple machine.

I will admit that the $320 mount that you are looking at is very nice and has a lot of flexibility but in relation to how we use our mount it would be overkill... ours extends 19" out from the wall when fully extended and swings pretty close to 90 degrees from far right to far left (so ~45 degrees either way in relation to the wall) and that is plenty good for us.

Last edited:
I went with an expensive Sanus mount, the VXF730-B2 because it's holding up an 85" Samsung Q90T which weighs 111.1 lbs. It works fantastically, the TV comes out over 2 feet from the wall which makes connecting and disconnecting stuff easy, we can adjust it to be seen well from anywhere in line of sight in the kitchen, dining room, and the living room where it lives. I wanted a full motion mount that could handle a giant TV, make it easy to work on, and to adjust and I got it. Oh yeah, and it is actually wide enough that we could anchor it in two studs and center it precisely for the room which does worlds for my peace of mind about the stability as well as setting things up for putting in surround speakers if I feel like it.

I am not looking to pay extra money. But, sometimes you do get what you paid for. For something that it doesn't matter if it lasts a long time, then I will take the chance. But when it is going to hold up my new 75" TV I want to be sure. Hence, the reason for my inquiry.

Screws into studs are very strong and can easily hold several hundred pounds, far more than any TV weighs. I once had to remove an old deck board where the head of a 2.5" deck screw was stripped. I had to use a 4' pry bar and lean into it. The screw held so tight that it tore through the deck board.

I found the TV mounts at Costco to be very reliable. I have had a 75” TV on one for the past 4.5 years. Make sure the know what the are doing regarding getting the Tv at the correct height. For a TV that size the center should be about a foot above your eye level when sitting where you watch the TV most often.

Monoprice has great pricing on mounts. All 4 of my TV's having been up for 9 years now with no problems.

https://www.monoprice.com/search/in...=Full Motion TV Wall Mounts&TotalProducts=193

Thanks. Will take a look.

I went with an expensive Sanus mount, the VXF730-B2 because it's holding up an 85" Samsung Q90T which weighs 111.1 lbs. It works fantastically, the TV comes out over 2 feet from the wall which makes connecting and disconnecting stuff easy, we can adjust it to be seen well from anywhere in line of sight in the kitchen, dining room, and the living room where it lives. I wanted a full motion mount that could handle a giant TV, make it easy to work on, and to adjust and I got it. Oh yeah, and it is actually wide enough that we could anchor it in two studs and center it precisely for the room which does worlds for my peace of mind about the stability as well as setting things up for putting in surround speakers if I feel like it.

This does sound like what I am looking for...

I found the TV mounts at Costco to be very reliable. I have had a 75” TV on one for the past 4.5 years. Make sure the know what the are doing regarding getting the Tv at the correct height. For a TV that size the center should be about a foot above your eye level when sitting where you watch the TV most often.

I did look online at Costco and some looked very nice (they were Sanus mostly). I think I will go by there and take a look.

When we did our remodeling getting the height right was very important to us. We put a TV outlet high on the wall behind where we want the TV to be and so we know very clearly where we want it.

Back
Top Bottom