Geico v Amica?

My personal experience from just last week would contradict this statement. We had a rock fly up while on the freeway, cracking our windshield to the point where it had to be replaced. Amica worked with Safelite to come out and replace the windshield...and we were then presented with a bill for $100 (the anount of our deductible). We have a standard Amica dividend auto policy, and there is nothing either in writing or communicated verbally about any waived deductible, nor was any option offered to us for this.

Interesting because our experience was identical except for cost. Traveling over pass in snowstorm, rock hit window frame. Started as a short 3 in crack but by time return home two days later over a foot. Took unit into Satellite repair since it had to be done in their shop to recalibrate the safety devices after install.
Cost--zero. But our claim was in WA state.
Who would have expected so much variations between jurisdictions.

Last edited:
Amica coverages are even better for the same dollar--eg no cost replacement of windshield without deductible.
My personal experience from just last week would contradict this statement. We had a rock fly up while on the freeway, cracking our windshield to the point where it had to be replaced. Amica worked with Safelite to come out and replace the windshield...and we were then presented with a bill for $100 (the anount of our deductible). We have a standard Amica dividend auto policy, and there is nothing either in writing or communicated verbally about any waived deductible, nor was any option offered to us for this.
FWIW
Amica said:
1 Glass coverage varies from state to state. Repairs are not guaranteed. The coverage descriptions are for educational purposes only and may vary by policy and state. Your policy, policy declaration and/or amended declarations are the primary sources of reference for your coverage information and govern your policy and any subsequent claim.
2 Full Glass coverage varies by state.

Has anybody actually had a home owners claim processed by GEICO that can comment? Since GEICO does not underwrite their home owners insurance but instead relies on a partner network of insurers I am curious what their customer service is like for a home owners claim?

Amica's considered #1 in the market in quality. USAA is often mentioned as #2.

GEICO is just another mainstream insurance company on par with a number of other companies. I have them for boat insurance but had to leave them in order to bundle my insurance package.

I asked my body shop friends which insurance companies they prefer to do business with. They said it often depends on how good their local insurance adjusters are. Locally, they prefer Allstate's adjuster and their computer systems. But they also get along with State Farm, GEICO and the other big national companies.

I switched to Geico a few years ago - home, auto & umbrella. Haven't had problems, but then we've filed 1 auto insurance claim and 0 home insurance claims in our lives! I was thinking about switching to Amica, I hear good things about them, but I don't know any customers personally. I emailed Amica about a quote a few weeks ago - and got no response :confused: I've looked at their website, and it doesn't seem particularly advanced. But again, odds are we may never have a claim so service may not be an issue.

Any opinions based on personal experience with either/both?

As a soon to be retired insurance agent (captive agent of a national company) of over 26 years, I've dealt with an competed with both companies and can say that both have top-notch claims service and very loyal followings. Sure, you may have an occasional glitch of a phone call or email not being replied to promptly like any company, but I think you'll find overall they're fine. As far as rates are concerned, I've always had a tougher time writing business when the customer also got quotes from USAA vs Amica. USAA seems to more consistently have more competitive rates. But over the years, I've found that auto insurance rates are pretty cyclical - sometimes a company will be very competitive, other times, not so much. If you can find a rate with a company that is fair and the service is great, go for it. Personally, if I was connected to the military, I'd go with USAA. But since I'm not, once I retire, my business will all go to Amica.

Back
Top Bottom