Giving up on internet news

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, people want affirmation of their beliefs, but I can remember a time when you turned on the news and it did not come across with such a strong political bias. The so called journalists have gone the way of the dodo bird, and are now all just offering editorial opinions based on their parent companies belief. All I am saying is wouldn't it be refreshing to have a news source report the different perspectives on an issue without slanting it one way or another and leave the rest to the viewer to decide what they agree with.
People like to complain.

If you cared enough, you could watch different networks and find one that you felt was neutral enough.

Not doing that means that either you don't care enough, or you have already found some that are good enough.

Just too many "impossible to avoid" ads. Obnoxious.

I must be alone, because it's getting worse.

Can't believe this is paying off for advertisers...

I guess they won't miss me. :(

To avoid all the ads I use the "reader view" setting available in Safari on my Mac. (I believe Windows has a similar feature as well)

When I'm on a news site and I see a story I want read... with "reader view" enabled when I click on the story only the text and story pictures appears.

No ads... no extra garbage at all.

Reader view is a feature of the browser, not the OS. For example, in Firefox it is the F9 key. It can be buggy, I'll admit.

I've only read two pages of comments. You guys are good. With a topic like this and being able to keep Pres. Trump out of it (pro or con), I'm impressed.

Perfectly understand if comment is deleted. No offense taken.

I've only read two pages of comments. You guys are good. With a topic like this and being able to keep Pres. Trump out of it (pro or con), I'm impressed.

Perfectly understand if comment is deleted. No offense taken.

well the concepts people have about what is the truth and how to find it go beyond any one individual and as previously pointed out here, go way back into the historical record.

Just found this on Allsids.com. May give this site a try for awhile although consciously analyzing right, left, center will likely be equally annoying over time.

https://www.allsides.com/media-bias/media-bias-chart

media-bias-chart

Two mounds coalesce from the primordial ooze.

One declares "I AM!"

The other says "No you're not, slimeball."

Opinion shows are still in the muck today.

That said, I routinely go to local radio, American Thinker, Zerohedge, The Automatic Earth - in no particular order.

Of course, the OP was not about bias, but obnoxious ads... [emoji848]

Yes, and there are at least 4 replies that are on topic. Posts 12 and 41-43. All the rest are about media bias. There’s a message there somewhere.

Yes, and there are at least 4 replies that are on topic. Posts 12 and 41-43. All the rest are about media bias. There’s a message there somewhere.

Yes, but the title of the thread (which many will see from the portal) just says "Giving up on internet news" w/o any reference to why. So maybe that encourages posts like #2, which got the ball rolling, to add other reasons why they'd avoid internet news?

I'm not saying that's good or bad, or that the Title should have been more specific (maybe OP was looking for other input, besides ads?), just explaining why the focus was not ads.

So I'll complain about the video/slideshows, which do nothing but read or display the text to you, which is the same as 'printed' below the video. And video in general, unless a visual really adds to the information.

-ERD50

Yes, but the title of the thread (which many will see from the portal) just says "Giving up on internet news" w/o any reference to why. So maybe that encourages posts like #2, which got the ball rolling, to add other reasons why they'd avoid internet news?

I'm not saying that's good or bad, or that the Title should have been more specific (maybe OP was looking for other input, besides ads?), just explaining why the focus was not ads.

So I'll complain about the video/slideshows, which do nothing but read or display the text to you, which is the same as 'printed' below the video. And video in general, unless a visual really adds to the information.

-ERD50
A suppposition, not an explanation. Members read the thread title, ignore the body of the OP but read the body of at least one other post? Perhaps. Another possibility is members want to talk about media bias and not ads. Except posts 12 and 41-43.

Or maybe we’re all just looking for an argument, in which case ...

I actually heard a good interview with a lady who wrote a book on the Constitution today. She was emphasizing that the Constitution is more than just rights to do this and that. It's also about small(er) government that does not infringe individual liberty and how that works under our Constitution. She was surprisingly non-partisan. How refreshing!

So, here's a somewhat rare thumbs up from me to NPR, or any news outlet for that matter.

Note: For those interested the book is - How to Read the Constitution and Why, by Kim Wehle

Last edited:
I actually heard a good interview with a lady who wrote a book on the Constitution today. She was emphasizing that the Constitution is more than just rights to do this and that. It's also about small(er) government that does not infringe individual liberty and how that works under our Constitution. She was surprisingly non-partisan. How refreshing!

So, here's a somewhat rare thumbs up from me to NPR, or any news outlet for that matter.

Note: For those interested the book is - How to Read the Constitution and Why, by Kim Wehle

Except the understanding of how the Constitution works (or should work) is always under debate (what isn't these days?) even by the SCOTUS who is *the* authority on how it works...yet, they RARELY agree. :D Oh yeah...she has a book that is being released TODAY...so no issue there.

As to the OP, yes, the ads and "autoplay videos" are terrible. I use Adblock and Ghostery and almost ALL of the news sites require me to click one or more "bypass" pop-ups to allow me to see the story.

Generally speaking, I don't take in any news except that I will pull up CNBC a couple times of week (which is probably a waste of time, too!). I will watch the local stuff if the weather isn't being friendly.

Last edited:
I do read our local paper on line, along with a national and BBC news
Watch national news maybe twice weekly

I miss Walter Cronkite!

Thanks to this forum, just learned about "reading" a video instead of watching. Hopefully, that will help with the ad problem.

Like, how many ERs does it take to actually read an OP and respond to it? :LOL:

"Giving up on internet news"

- What was the news?
- How much did giving increase?

I hate these thread topics that don't include enough information to allow for an intelligent response.

"Giving up on internet news"

- What was the news?
- How much did giving increase?

I hate these thread topics that don't include enough information to allow for an intelligent response.

Or responses that don't add much to the conversation.

... Members read the thread title, ignore the body of the OP but read the body of at least one other post? Perhaps. ...

Not the only explanation. Someone could read the title, see that OP complained about ads, and see that 2nd post complained about bias, and decided it was about whatever they wanted to complain about regarding internet news.

-ERD50

NPR is very left leaning IMO... not equally tough... but I will agree it is much better than a lot of the 'news' channels out there...

In fact, of the 4 major ones it is the most even... but still....

Not sure how the NPR can be bias when they almost exclusively talk facts. When challenging hosts with other view points (both sides) they clearly state ‘so-and-so said this counterpoint, how do you respond’

I did see a list of conservative (and conservative sponsored sites) saying it was though.

Being a TX local also - would be curious to any specific examples though noting that they do push back against their guests whoever they are.

Last edited:
Not the only explanation. Someone could read the title, see that OP complained about ads, and see that 2nd post complained about bias, and decided it was about whatever they wanted to complain about regarding internet news.

-ERD50
Hypotheses, not explanations. :). I’m sure there are others, and all apply.

1 to read and respond, 9 to pour the drinks and get the popcorn ready.
:LOL:

Love to see a Big Cage match with all news reporters in one ring . My bet is on Alex Jones , second Steve Quayle . I loves them Giants !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom