Glioblastoma (GBM)

10 days post-op they will have complete pathology to determine the best course of treatment.
Gliomas are so bad because they are brain cells gone bad, not some foreign tissue that you just remove like the benign tumors. Glial cells are the glue that holds your brain together.
Once they progress to stage 4 and are glioblastomas, they are virtually impossible to eradicate.
It is simply stunning to me, she was taken to the hospital for imaging last Saturday, in for a consult in a different city across the state, and surgery by Thursday.
She is out of the hospital and at our sister's place tonight. Out of the hospital is always better :)

10 days post-op they will have complete pathology to determine the best course of treatment.
Gliomas are so bad because they are brain cells gone bad, not some foreign tissue that you just remove like the benign tumors. Glial cells are the glue that holds your brain together.
Once they progress to stage 4 and are glioblastomas, they are virtually impossible to eradicate.
It is simply stunning to me, she was taken to the hospital for imaging last Saturday, in for a consult in a different city across the state, and surgery by Thursday.
She is out of the hospital and at our sister's place tonight. Out of the hospital is always better :)
Thanks for the information on glioblastoma, but I'm sorry about the way you probably learned it. Hope your sister pulls through and has a wonderful life.

Recent research studies on Gioblastoma

"Just a few days ago I posted about the strikingly therapeutic effects of vitamin B3 in brain cancer (glioblastoma). The mechanism of action of niacin in that study was deemed to be boosting of the immune system’s ability to recognize the tumor and destroy it. In that post I opined that I suspect niacin’s inhibition of fatty acid oxidation (FAO) to probably be a more reasonable explanation. A day after I made that post I stumbled upon the study below, which corroborates my statement from the niacin post." Blocking PUFA supply halts brain cancer (glioblastoma) – To Extract Knowledge from Matter

thanks for that thought. It is about findings in mice that has not been studied in humans yet it will give hope to someone in the future possibly.

I've been up to visit several times under the guise of doing things like hanging quilts on the wall and setting up an air conditioner twice. It has been a few weeks since we have talked.
My brother called this morning to say they had made an offer on a condo in Seattle near their children, and reported that he had visited my brother in law to get some paperwork.
Dear brother in law was pretty crushed. His bride has taken a step back. What were once the lows, the tiredness, confusion etc are now the highs. Her vision is getting altered by the cancer.
We all knew the prognosis was dire but I had thought they had bought some more decent times. I thought maybe they could travel with us to the UK in August. Now that seems improbable.
I will offer up what ever I can do which is never much in these times.

Continued prayers for you, your DS, and family.

Thank you Pacergal. We were handed this warning, but I have not myself been able to process it.

The only experience I have is with our neighbor. She didn't suffer a lot, other than with the treatments. Of course, we could see her slip away from us which was difficult. She was only 56.

May God grant everyone peace during this time.

She attended Thanksgiving dinner and we got to talk, Which by that hour was mostly me doing the talking. Later in the day she gets tired and her loss of words is both more pronounced and makes her more upset. She did not want any of the food, which was not surprising considering the hour.
Tonight, I just watched a 60 minutes article on comparative oncology between humans and dogs. They share so much DNA and cancer similarity that the work the veterinarian oncologists do can be quickly adapted and moved through the FDA and put in trials for humans.
They talked about a treatment they did on osteosarcoma, which is common in dogs but rare in humans. They tailored listeria bacteria to trigger an appropriate immune response that attacked the cancer, then trialed it in humans with a similar result.

That one was pure win, the teenage girl we met on that one was showing no more signs of cancer.

They did not talk about what exactly they did with dogs with glioblastomas, but they trialed that too in humans and as with all 60 minutes articles, we met both the dog and human patients. This was interesting and heartening, until it was not.
The dog improved in that article, then the cancer came back and he had to say goodbye.
The lady improved and then declined and has left the trial to spend time with her family. Her speech is similarly altered like my sister's, and yeah. That got to me.

I saw that last night and it was sad but hopeful for the future. I am sorry you all are going through this.

The 60 minutes show was hopeful, there is so much cancer research going on that we are not aware of.
Continued prayers for you and your family, skyking1.

I am sad to hear this. It is tough to be going through this. Continued prayers for your family.

Her sister went with them today to a post-scan appointment with the oncologist, and it was the bad news we all feared. Her cancer has spread and grown tremendously since the September scan, and has invaded part of her cerebral spinal fluid system that is causing dizziness, balance issues, and nausea. As my doctor niece stated, any interaction with her now is pure gold.

They have given a 2 month prognosis and she is now started on hospice.

I have about a week of work to do next week and then nothing is pressing. I can call an operator friend too. I can take as much time as I can and help them as much as they want or will allow. All I can do is make myself available.

So sorry to read about your sister. I pray that her remaining time is as peaceful and comfortable as it can possibly be.

I’m very sorry to hear this.

My thoughts are with you, your sister, and your entire family during this difficult time.

I'm so sorry to hear this...my prayers are with you and your family, Skyking1...

thank you for your words and thoughts.
Before the news today she was already feeling some urgency to go through the family stuff with the siblings. We had set a date for Thursday. I think that is still on and I will learn more about what I can do.

Spending time with her and letting her and her family know you are available is most likely the best thing for all.
Enjoy this time with her, make some fun memories.
my prayers to you and your family

Time is very short, we will visit her this weekend for the last time. I fully expect her to avail herself of the dignity and relief from pain that physician assisted suicide will provide.
This is new territory for us to traverse.
I expect that all of us have suffered losses by now, some more than others. We have experienced vigils and pain and suffering, mitigated to some extent by the wonderful care that hospice doctors and nurses bring.
It is a very private decision, one that no one else has any say in. I have no idea how she and her family will do in this difficult time.
She has remained stoic and has kept her sense of humor throughout this time. I have not witnessed anyone do more for the loved ones who surround her now.
I understand that you folks here have my back so to speak, no need to enumerate the support that you have already freely given. It helps me to write it down, and possibly to share something that others find helpful.

Last edited:
I am so sorry skyking. You have been a good brother to her.

Thinking of you and your family...praying for wisdom and peace...

May peace be with you and your family.

I think I mentioned that our dear friend passed from GB and she passed quite peacefully and nearly pain free. May your sister have comfort and peace and know how much she is loved.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom