Glioblastoma (GBM)

I'm sorry for your loss.
It's good she had choices and did things her way. May she rest in peace.

Sounds like it was a good death. It still hurts though, I am sure. Hugs

She set the bar pretty high.
I feel really disconnected from this. Maybe I was processing this stuff after all, because I am in a pretty good place. It has been almost a year to the day since the diagnosis.
Any other time I would be waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Thank you friends. If anyone is interested I can share the details of how the procedure went.
I am really in a calm and reflective state. I can't help the rest of my family but to be available, but for me I am not just crushed by this as I have been in the past with losses.
I have been a mess before and this is not it.

I'm sorry for your loss and so respect your sister for her brave handling of this. I also respect and am thankful for your sharing of this difficult personal experience that many of us will be touched by in some similar way and thanks to you have some advance wisdom about it.

Everyone has a fear that it will go badly. This was not the case it was very quick and as gentle as death and loss can be. It was vastly better than a few of our recent vigils.
We joked about our niece's super power, that she just kept on going long after she lost consciousness, but it was horrible. We still had to medicate her for pain and there was no upside for her. It went on for a week that way. My aunt was similar. I hope that I am able to make a similar choice if needed.
@4legsgood, our room mate does home euthanasia services for beloved pets. I am grateful we can give our loved ones the same compassionate care in their last days.

Last edited:
She set the bar pretty high.
I feel really disconnected from this. Maybe I was processing this stuff after all, because I am in a pretty good place. It has been almost a year to the day since the diagnosis.
Any other time I would be waiting for the other shoe to drop.

My dad died from a glioblastoma exactly a year from the date he was diagnosed. This was in 1978.
It’s good to hear that your sister was able to make her own decision on when to depart.
I would not wish this illness on my worst enemy.

Well, sorry for the final chapter in this for you Skyking. But it did end the way your sister wanted, with her in control and being able to go with her choice and timing. That's really a nice thing to have the option. I do believe that since you knew it was coming and being able to be there is why you are now at peace and content with the results.

It has been a week now. I have been sleeping poorly and after I got up and fed the crazed chihuahua at 4 am, I went back to bed and slept in till after 9. it was a cumulative deficit.
Our roommate came home from a particularly heartbreaking case today. The really elderly dog was at the end of life, and the lady owner had hoped the dog would outlast her husband who had Alzheimer's.
It did not work out that way. He sat there unresponsive and appearing to not pay attention, but when that moment came and the veterinarian told the lady that the dog was gone, her husband mouthed a silent scream and was visibly upset. It was truly heartbreaking. It tears me up to type it out.
I have been on that edge all day anyway, but that was real and some tough stuff. He has a hard job, really hard sometimes.

It has been a week now. I have been sleeping poorly and after I got up and fed the crazed chihuahua at 4 am, I went back to bed and slept in till after 9. it was a cumulative deficit.
Our roommate came home from a particularly heartbreaking case today. The really elderly dog was at the end of life, and the lady owner had hoped the dog would outlast her husband who had Alzheimer's.
It did not work out that way. He sat there unresponsive and appearing to not pay attention, but when that moment came and the veterinarian told the lady that the dog was gone, her husband mouthed a silent scream and was visibly upset. It was truly heartbreaking. It tears me up to type it out.
I have been on that edge all day anyway, but that was real and some tough stuff. He has a hard job, really hard sometimes.

Sky, sorry to hear about your loss and the grief is real and doesn't go away for quite a while. I'm exactly two months past my wife's passing and I still can't sleep well and randomly cry a lot. I'm registering for a grief class at my church to deal with this. None of this stuff is easy on anybody.

Sky, sorry to hear about your loss and the grief is real and doesn't go away for quite a while. I'm exactly two months past my wife's passing and I still can't sleep well and randomly cry a lot. I'm registering for a grief class at my church to deal with this. None of this stuff is easy on anybody.

George Burns offered this advice (not in the form of a joke, either.) When his partner in life and comedy passed, he could not sleep. So he tried sleeping in Gracie's bed (they had transitioned to that sleeping arrangement sometime before her passing.) It w*rked quite well for him. I would at least try sleeping on DW's side if that loss comes my way first. I'm praying she outlives me, but I realize how selfish that is. God's blessings to you aja8888 and to you as well skyking1.

I heartily recommend grief class/group as nieces/nephews and I went when my younger sister passed at an early age. Just talking through the various stages helps a lot. I was so surprised how much anger I had. Finding out that was fairly normal was helpful and I did get over it and was able to get through the grieving process more quickly. Of course, the loss is always there, but the anger is gone.

@aja888 we have been thinking about you from time to time. It is still very fresh and you are tender, and will be. Thank you for your kind words and you too Koolau.
My BIL is now going through what you have been through aja. It is hard to watch and he is not letting us in yet.

Back
Top Bottom