Go Go to Slow Go... when did/has it happened to you?

This makes sense to me. A percentage of remaining portfolio, especially if it’s only 3 or 4 percent will leave a lot of money on the table.

Probably.

My 50/50 models showed that even 4.35% of current portfolio annual withdrawals will still break even by leaving, on average, the starting portfolio inflation adjusted after 30 years, and half in the worst historical cases. You do have to contend with variable income every year. Variations cab be significant, so it’s better with mostly discretionary expenses.

When did you see your BTD trend line start to turn down (if it has)?

After 16+ years of FIRE (zero earned income), our spending is up in real terms. I don't keep detailed records but in broad categories, here are some examples:

1. We're outdoorsy types and have been feeling our age with some of our activities. That means more staying at full service, but remote, resorts and fishing camps and less camping or renting cabins.

2. Knowing your remaining time to visit friends, see things you've wanted to see, etc., is drawing to a close likely means picking up the pace and not being concerned about costs. DW just returned from a 10 day trip visiting a girlfriend who retired to the Maine coast for example. When younger, she would have more likely given consideration to the expenses involved for flights, rental car, etc. Now she just goes.

3. We've been taking our camper down to Florida for a couple months the past few winters. That was quite inexpensive. Now we're shopping for a snowbird home down there which will likely be significantly more expensive whether we rent or buy.

4. Our urge to do remodeling and repairs ourselves has faded. Hello handyman, landscaper and professional decorators.

5. Trips to the liquor store and grocery are less likely to be driven by what's on sale.

6. Spoiling grandchildren (including help with college tuition) has become a passion.

7. Etc. Etc.

Now, I realize that we're fortunate that even in our mid-70's we haven't slowed down enough physically to start throwing in the towel on activities. When that happens things could change. But at this stage, it definitely costs us more to live the life we want to live than it did a decade ago.

YMMV

Last edited:
My dad just entered the state senior Olympics for the 10k bike ride for 85-89 year olds. So there's that data point.

googily--that is wonderful, yeah for your Dad!

We have no BTD plans for now, thinking of updating the kitchen again, but with little GK running around, bumping into things with cars, etc, will wait.
We have a budget that is more generous than when we were working, so I already feel like we are BTD now! We buy what we want and don't worry about it.

I'm about to hit 72 next year, and the ole RMD's will make you withdraw 4% of the Y/E balance yearly.

Of course you don't have to spend it, but having the $ separate of the 401K might drive one to take another trip to Europe or on a few cruises.

We had some unexpected spending increases upon ER when a car, boat and camper had to be replaced. Our old ones just wore out. Then we ended up moving twice. But we're good to go for quite sometime with no more capital expenditures.

We're still not through seeing the world, and we plan on extensive travel for the next 8-10 years. Right now, it's the wife's mobility slowing us slightly, but she has figured out how to travel very well with her electric scooter to supplement her.

I'm about to hit 72 next year, and the ole RMD's will make you withdraw 4% of the Y/E balance yearly.

Of course you don't have to spend it, but having the $ separate of the 401K might drive one to take another trip to Europe or on a few cruises.

We had some unexpected spending increases upon ER when a car, boat and camper had to be replaced. Our old ones just wore out. Then we ended up moving twice. But we're good to go for quite sometime with no more capital expenditures.

We're still not through seeing the world, and we plan on extensive travel for the next 8-10 years. Right now, it's the wife's mobility slowing us slightly, but she has figured out how to travel very well with her electric scooter to supplement her.

Nice to hear.

My dad just entered the state senior Olympics for the 10k bike ride for 85-89 year olds. So there's that data point.

Excellent.
Generically, that is my hope to play Pickleball until 90 y.o.

Now that I’ve improved my metabolic health, I’m paying a lot more attention to the western chronic diseases including dementia and how they can be avoided.

So I’m hoping we are healthy and active for many years yet. Knock on wood!

I haven't started the blow that dough phase yet. I think I can comfortably do that when I reach millionaire status. I hope to make a large purchase then. In the meantime, I'm working on my health so that I can actually enjoy it when I get to it. I'm 57, just retired 7 months ago.

Last edited:
While I don't think that he ever uses the phrase "blow that dough", if you're looking for insights into how spending and lifestyles have changed over the course of a long retirement, you can't do any better than reading posts by imoldernu. Here is a link to an older thread that has been updated over time, and there are more posts that you can delve into.

https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f27/sharing-23-years-of-frugal-retirement-62251.html

Yes, imoldernu is our Paton Saint of FIRE here. By now, he is probably looking down on us and chuckling about our various foibles but cheering us on to BTD (in moderation, of course.:) ) YMMV

I've never BTD, never will BTD but I do like BTD= Big Tomatoes Delightful

When did you see your BTD trend line start to turn down (if it has)? What triggered the change? How much did your average annual spend drop?

My husband is 7 years older than me and will be turning 70 this year. He has had several health issues so I am in the no-go phase at age 63 and not too happy about it. I retired at 59 and really didn't plan on being a caregiver at this young age but such is life. I definitely recommend taking care of yourself and BTD while you can!

We retired in 2020 and I never felt the BTD feeling. We can’t travel where we wanted to because of COVID (masks on planes and don’t want to get stuck in other countries if something else goes down) and will not drive to a destination more than 8 hours away.

1100 foot cottage we live in is brand new and simple- a true downsizer. We don’t want to put any more money into it as we don’t think it will be worth it. After selling our other big house and buying this one, and after all the expenses associated with both, including morning twice, we basically broke even- made no extra money.

We’re living off savings until we can collect SS at age 70. We are 65 and 67. No pensions.

We live in a vacation area and we do a lot of free things like easy hikes, walks, beaches, pool, fishing.

We eat out more and have spent more money going to some events than when we worked by a landslide but not as much as other people here. We are not real active types. Not into playing tennis or pickle ball or spin cycling or golf or kayaking. We like riding bikes but we haven’t spent the money to buy them. Plus, so many hills here - not to mention we won’t ride on busy roads- we’d have to drive to the flat trail to use them ( hence also needing a bike rack) and plus in winter they would sit in the garage.

Lots of neighbors have boats and golf carts. Not us. Boats and marina costs too crazy. Golf carts will make us lazy and we need to walk as much as possible.

There’s nothing wrong with our 2013 Honda and 2016 Hyundai SUVs and now that we’re not commuting to work and we’re not putting all that mileage on them they should last a very long time.

I guess I don’t know how to BTD.

Last edited:
Really interesting graph. We have BTD on solar, an e-vehicle, and the RAV plug-in the last 3 years. We'll probably do a long hike in Ireland or Italy in fall or next spring but since we hike to B&Bs the main expense is actually the airfare, so I unless we need to spend on grandkids or on my agedP (88), I suspect the average over next 2-3 years we will spend less than the last 3, even though I think we are likely to need to replace the AC sometime in the next 3 years (probably with one of the newer more efficient and expensive heat pumps).

We shall see. The portfolio keeps going up.

Does this help? I took my annual spending for each year of retirement, and divided it by my spending during my first year of retirement. I have an overfunded retirement, so I spend what I want.

Kind of looks all over the place, to me.

Here’s a tip if you want to use obscure acronyms: write it in full then you can use the acronmym all you want:

“When did you stop Blowing That Dough (BTD)? I stopped BTD when I hit __ years old.”

For me, I’ve not stopped or even started BTD. I’m only 1 year into FIRE at age 58 now. I have enough cash to last until my pensions kick in (USA and UK). So I just calculated a monthly budget and stick to that. If something unforeseen occurs, most likely medical, I could get my US pension sooner. If I spend less then I could possibly delay it and get a higher monthly amount. My wife is considerably younger, 28 years old, so she can keep earning something too.

We live in Mongolia most of the year so we’ll have a primary residence there but we plan to have a second home in a warmer climate for winter. That’s where I might BTD but these should be non-depreciating assets so not really in the BTD category, right?

I haven’t done it yet, due to pandemic issues but I plan to get some frivolous toys: I want to get back into paragliding, probably electric powered. I also love motorcycles and bicycles. Electric powered if possible.

I keep monthly costs down by living modestly in developing. Land for building is free in Mongolia to citizens (my wife) so a simple house would be a fairly trivial cost to buy or build. That’s good because there’s no rental market for houses.

The second home in a coastal area, such as Turkey, would need to have investment or income potential. Or I won’t do it. For example, we could rent out a condo in the summer season and use it in the (very mild compared to Mongolia) off season.

Last edited:
My husband is 7 years older than me and will be turning 70 this year. He has had several health issues so I am in the no-go phase at age 63 and not too happy about it. I retired at 59 and really didn't plan on being a caregiver at this young age but such is life. I definitely recommend taking care of yourself and BTD while you can!

I feel for you. DH and I are 63 and have been retired since 2016. He has a heart condition (VTAC) that requires serious meds to keep his heart rate stable (also has a defibrillator/pacemaker). The meds make him tired and irritable. The past two years he has had numerous issues requiring Paramedics to our home or ER trips. We have always been active and planned for an active retirement; boating, cycling, hiking, travel. Recently, it is a good day if he can golf. We learned today that it appears he is now suffering from AFib as well. So, they may add more medications. He was scheduled for a consult with a top cardiac surgeon next month for the possibility of ablation. Not sure if they decide differently now, but we remain cautiously optimistic.
So, please everyone, don’t take your health for granted. Travel and be active and enjoy your money while you can. There are no promises for tomorrow.

Definitely don’t take your health for granted. My dad had to retire at 53 due to ill health and by the time he was 59 had a big stroke and my mom had to retire to take care of him.

We plan on having the house paid off and our other fixed expenses are minor. We have bought the things to help sustain our life here...tractor, built a beautiful courtyard for living/entertaining, live in a beautiful state with so many beautiful parks and hikes, a small travel trailer to go for adventures. We have traveled during our marriage so we don't save it all for when we are in our 60's or 70's. Our only debt at the moment is the house and we should have that paid off in another 8-10 years. We have a lot of hobbies and do a lot of projects ourselves....paint our own home, renovated our kitchen, will be renovating our bathrooms in the next couple of years. Our goal is to have everything paid off by retirement so that $50-$60K will be more than enough to live on and have fun with. I am also hoping that we all have universal healthcare by then which will be a great help!

DW and I have never had any desire to splurge. As was the case when we were working, we can afford more nice things, but really don't want or need them. We live comfortably, do not deprive ourselves, and aren't what I would consider frugal. As we get older and become more comfortable that we have more than enough, our "spending" will likely increase, but that will be in the form of giving more away, so we can see our money doing some good for others.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom