Golf Talk Tuesdays 2015-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got to play an absolute gem of a course today called Windsong Farm. I played it 6 years ago and ranked it top 5 in Minnesota. Based on todays conditions, I can only think of 1 course in Minnesota that I would consider better (Springhill). The greens, fairways, bunkers, and staff were spectacular. They put an additional $2 million into their bunkers last year, and it shows.

I'm thinking that Windsong will be off of my rotation for the rest of my life after retirement, but what a treat it was today. Due to the rain yesterday, they were walking with caddy's only. That added to the day!

...I'm thinking that Windsong will be off of my rotation for the rest of my life after retirement, but what a treat it was today. ...!

Why won't you play it after retirement?

It’s a very private club. The first time I played was when I was a member of the TPC. We were able to get invitations to other clubs for the weeks when the senior pga tour took over our club. Though I’ve been considering joining another club, this reciprocity was quite unique to the TPC.

Today’s invitation was business related. That opportunity will end after retirement.

I wasn’t asked, but in case skin protection is a consideration for any others...and apologies otherwise.

I usually wear a ball cap style. I’ve resorted to invisible zinc sunscreens to protect my ears, which were “crispy” at the end of every summer despite using traditional sunscreens. Several brands, I use https://www.neutrogena.com/sun/sheer-zinc-dry-touch-sunscreen-broad-spectrum-spf-50/6811080.html

However, I should (and sometimes do) wear a full brim hat to also protect my ears and neck. But most are no good in the wind, they can flop in your face at the wrong time. I have one of these for windy days (and others), comes from kayaking/watersports. On really windy days it’s the only good choice for me to play golf - the brim can’t flop in your face. FWIW

https://www.sheltahats.com

m100_silver_main_a_1024x1024_f2a5854c-8057-45eb-9a29-da00f2416c9a_large.jpg

sun_hat_brim_technology.jpg

Last edited:

In my idiotic youth I used to not care about the sun, but now I put on 50+ sunscreen even if I'm playing at 7:00 AM and wear hats similar to above that cover the face and ears...the only difference is that they are cheap $3 hats from a dollar store :LOL:

Headgear, do you wear any, a baseball type hat, visor, wide brim farmers type ?

I started wearing a wide-brim hat this summer, for both golf & hiking. You’d think after all the trips to the dermatologist over the years (I’m fair skinned), I’d have done this sooner. :facepalm:

But, I do like the wide brim hat and, no problems with wind so far.

I walk 99% of the time and use an umbrella on the cart. A couple of tumors removed makes one more careful.

My brain interferes much much more. We could have a poll for who has the most swing thoughts before pulling the trigger.

We could have a poll for who has the most swing thoughts before pulling the trigger.

one of my buddies used to have, and I'm not making this up, a one minute pre-shot freeze

we used to count seconds like a ref in the paint - 60 seconds just standing over the ball going through a checklist!

My pre-shot routine and swing thoughts.

1. Check my alignment to the target.

2. Make a slow backswing.

3. Watch the club head hit the ball.

Pretty much same for my putting. I usually shoot in the 80s. Shot an 82 on Monday of this week, wearing my wide brimmed hat and new Father's Day $200+ Footjoy golf shoes.

one of my buddies used to have, and I'm not making this up, a one minute pre-shot freeze

we used to count seconds like a ref in the paint - 60 seconds just standing over the ball going through a checklist!

Assuming most people take 20 seconds or less to pull the trigger, your buddy takes 40 seconds longer than average. In a typical round with 90 shots, that's a full hour extra he adds to your rounds :facepalm: :LOL:

On the other hand, I'm sometimes guilty of rushing...the club choice is made while walking to the ball, pull a club, set up, and swing (no practice swing). My entire routine often takes less than 10 seconds, although a few exceptions are made for funky lies or sloped fairways.

he doesn't take that long any more - we shamed him out of it - this was about 15 years ago

he doesn't take that long any more - we shamed him out of it - this was about 15 years ago

So, that answers the question I was going to ask: Do you still play with him?

Guess the answer is “Yes, the new speedier version.”

yes, we play together just about every time i visit houston

My brain interferes much much more. We could have a poll for who has the most swing thoughts before pulling the trigger.

I identify a spot about 6-12 in ahead of the ball in line with the target... line up my feet/shoulders perpendicular to that line at a comfortable distance from the ball, lie my club behind the ball and grip it, adjust my feet/stance if needed, slow backswing while keeping my eye on the ball.... and then just hit the sucker.

I don't worry at all about follow through, I just relax after contact and let the club come around.

I used to take practice swings but rarely do it now... perhaps for some tricky chips... that's it.

For putts, I assess break from hole to ball and then ball to hole (how come is so often looks so different?).... pick my spot and try to make an assertive but smooth stroke. I putt sidesaddle.... for 10-12' and less I look at a spot near the hole (I do not look at the ball) and for 10-25' putts I look at the ball... for longer putts I use traditional style (I can only hit it so firm sidesaddle)... no practice strokes.

Last edited:
My full swing pre-shot routine and swing thoughts.
  • take 0-2 practice caddy swings,
  • check my alignment to the target,
  • take a slow & low backswing,
  • watch the club head hit the ball.
My overriding swing thought is to avoid trying to kill the ball, for whatever reason I’ve always battled the tendency. I hit more fairways just taking a nice pass at the ball than mashing it...

For putting,
  • read from the side, read from behind (one or both in advance where possible),
  • no practice swings,
  • pick a spot (not just a line) and line up,
  • keep my wrists still and grip relaxed,
  • take a long slow backswing and a deliberate follow through along my intended line.
For reasons I've never understood, my distance control is always better if I just trust my eye/instinct/experience vs thinking about how hard/soft to putt.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom