Golf Talk Tuesdays 2015-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
The stars must have been aligned yesterday. I tied my best round. If it had not been for the triple bogie on hole number eight I would have finally broken 80. For whatever reason it was a good day, 43 front, 37 back (3 bogies, 2 birdies).

White tees, 5911 yds at Crane Creek, Boise.

Back to reality today.

good job Jim! (turn it in)

8 was tough yesterday, 405 into the wind from the blue tees. I killed a drive down to the 150 plate but then made a bogey....

The stars must have been aligned yesterday. I tied my best round. If it had not been for the triple bogie on hole number eight I would have finally broken 80. For whatever reason it was a good day, 43 front, 37 back (3 bogies, 2 birdies).

White tees, 5911 yds at Crane Creek, Boise.

Back to reality today.

Well done.

I hope you do better than a friend who is a mid-teens handicap.... a couple weeks ago he shot a 79 and was quite happy... went out a couple days later and when he got back I asked him how it went... he said he inversed the numbers... had a 97.... that's golf for you.... even the pros can go out and have 67 one day and 76 the next.

I pretty much did as your friend. Thought I knew how to golf. Wrong. 40 for the front. Yea! 51 for the back. Boo. Lost multiple balls. It was a strange day. I can attribute a little to fatigue, but basically played like poo.

There's alway tomorrow.

jc

And then to have 4 good days in a row under unbelievable pressure! Think about that.... those guys are good.

I just saw this link on the topic about scooters. It's called the Golfboard. They're expensive but look like a lot of fun. I prefer walking but would consider renting one at least once to try it out if they were at any of the courses I play:

The Westin Kierland golf course in Scottsdale has several options for getting around the golf course besides the standard golf cart or walking. They also offer the golf board mentioned above, a segway, and a pedal bike with big fat tires.

The Westin Kierland golf course in Scottsdale has several options for getting around the golf course besides the standard golf cart or walking. They also offer the golf board mentioned above, a segway, and a pedal bike with big fat tires.

no push carts? :facepalm:

edit: I actually played that course - it's badass

Due to the long wet winter here (SF Bay Area), many of the courses are not in very good shape. I just played Corica South two days ago (Alameda) and the conditioning is excellent and the greens are exceptional.

I played quite well most of the time during my 3 months in The Villages (FL), which surprised me a bit since I was rehabbing a ruptured achilles. While down there I got the itch to buy some new clubs. I ordered a set of Wishon Sterling single length (5-G)...they just arrived. Unfortunately the weather has been pretty bad, but i may get to hit them tomorrow.

this should be an interesting experiment. Essentially 7 7irons, all with identical length shafts, weight, swing weight, swing MOI, and lie, but with different lofts.

While down there I got the itch to buy some new clubs. I ordered a set of Wishon Sterling single length (5-G)...they just arrived. Unfortunately the weather has been pretty bad, but i may get to hit them tomorrow.

this should be an interesting experiment. Essentially 7 7irons, all with identical length shafts, weight, swing weight, swing MOI, and lie, but with different lofts.

Never heard of Wishon Sterling clubs until your post, sounds interesting. We'll be waiting for a full review!

Living in Michigan, no golf for awhile. But, Monday the weather is going to be nice and I’m going to get a round in. First one since probably November. Woo Hoo!

Never heard of Wishon Sterling clubs until your post, sounds interesting. We'll be waiting for a full review!

if you want to learn a lot about what is real in golf technology, and what is marketing baloney, YouTube Tom Wishon's videos about club technology. very interesting stuff.

After a month long slump when my handicap index went up by 1.7, I am back to playing to my standard. A prolonged golf slump makes any fervent golfer a bit suicidal. :mad:

Living in Michigan, no golf for awhile. But, Monday the weather is going to be nice and I’m going to get a round in. First one since probably November. Woo Hoo!
Me too. Went to the driving range last Thursday, first time swinging a club since last Nov. It was humbling at first, but I started to make decent contact after coming over the top/trying to kill it on the first 25. Good thing I wasn't on the course for those first 25! :blush:

It was nice to see Tiger overcome his injuries and win the Masters. Everyone thought he was done (Tiger included) not too long ago.

I haven’t been a Tiger fan since his extramarital affairs, but he’s worked very hard to come back, so congrats all the same. Very few if any other athletes could have come back from the hole he was in, it looks like he has some more wins left before he’s done after all.

Congrats to Tiger and this win is so good for the game of golf. I've always been a fan regardless of his personal issues, he seems to have conquered his demons not to even mention four back surgeries. To pick up his 15th major after a decade dry spell is one for the ages. I seriously hope he matches or beats Nicklaus's 18 majors.

I seriously hope he matches or beats Nicklaus's 18 majors.

Records are meant to be broken...and Tiger is a roarin He's been THE golf phenom of the 21st century. I don't think he had 4 back surgeries to NOT beat him.

My golf swing had gotten out of sync recently, iron play was terrible. Went back to an old source 'Ben Hogan's Five Lessons- The Modern Fundamentals of Golf'. What a classic, he doesn't go on for a hundred pages to get his point across, everything is very well explained, easy to understand, and diagrammed. Starts with the basics (grip, etc.) and works his way up. Got me straightened out in no time. Highly recommended!

The latest HI is at 13.5, 0.5 off of my all time best. Breaking 13 HI has turned out to be tough which makes me wonder if 13 is as low as I can go. After all, I am not getting any younger.

The latest HI is at 13.5, 0.5 off of my all time best. Breaking 13 HI has turned out to be tough which makes me wonder if 13 is as low as I can go. After all, I am not getting any younger.

I'm sure it's not as low as you can go. A lot depends upon how much time you have, or decide to spend on the game.
Do you keep track of where you are losing strokes to par?
Even as we get older we can improve on our short game. How old are you BTW?

I'm 65 and my HI is at 10.3, coming down from around 12. I've been an 8 before, and I think I can get back there again, but I have a lot of time to spend on it. There is less and less other stuff I can do due to injuries and age, so I have more time to spend on golf.

re: Zinger

My golf swing had gotten out of sync recently, iron play was terrible. Went back to an old source 'Ben Hogan's Five Lessons- The Modern Fundamentals of Golf'. What a classic, he doesn't go on for a hundred pages to get his point across, everything is very well explained, easy to understand, and diagrammed. Starts with the basics (grip, etc.) and works his way up. Got me straightened out in no time. Highly recommended!

When I get out of sync, I have to reference Jim Hardy's the Plane Truth. I have both the book and DVD. It covers one and two plane swings. Hogan had a one plane swing which I use and Hardy has many references to Hogan. Very simple for me to understand. When the swing gets bad I also go back to the basics. Glad you got straightened out. Good advice for everyone.

When I get out of sync, I have to reference Jim Hardy's the Plane Truth. I have both the book and DVD. It covers one and two plane swings. Hogan had a one plane swing which I use and Hardy has many references to Hogan. Very simple for me to understand. When the swing gets bad I also go back to the basics. Glad you got straightened out. Good advice for everyone.

I never thought of Hogan as having a one-plane swing. In fact IIRC, in the "5 Lessons" book, he clearly describes the plane changing on the down swing. Am I missing something?

re: HadEnuff

I never thought of Hogan as having a one-plane swing. In fact IIRC, in the "5 Lessons" book, he clearly describes the plane changing on the down swing. Am I missing something?

I don't have the 5 Lessons book. I read it many years ago. In the Plane Truth, Hardy goes into detail about Hogan's swing in a conversation with late HOF golf pro John Jacobs.

"On one occasion, I asked him about Ben Hogan’s swing. His response was short but accurate. “He swung everything on one plane.” That remark, made in 1977, was the genesis of a very long search, the search for the one-plane swing."

One thing Hardy repeats often is not to mix one and two plane fundamentals. That's the road to disaster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom