Good deed

That sort of thing happens a lot more than most people think. Usually it just never makes the news.

I saw it on the news too, great story. And like Walt noted, I am sure this kind of thing happens far more often than we realize. Nice story...

Loved this story. Caught in the act of kindness.

Attachments

• nypd-officer-gives-homeless-man-boots.jpg
    nypd-officer-gives-homeless-man-boots.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 3
This was a heartwarming story and it's sad to read that the homeless man is back to being barefoot.

Thought it was heartwarming the first time around like everyone else. I caught the update this morning. Sad in several respects...
+1
I wonder what Mr. Hillman meant by saying he didn't wear the boots because they are worth a lot of money. That he was afraid of being harmed by someone who wants to take them away from him? That he is keeping them unused so he can sell them in case he needs something even more essential than shoes and socks on a cold night?

I've never bought shoes for a homeless person. I don't give cash to panhandlers except on very rare occasions, but I have sometimes bought a small meal for someone who was asking for money to buy food. I've never gotten any less than a "thank you" in return except from the first time--that guy was too busy wolfing down the sandwich I bought him to say anything. Either he hadn't eaten for long enough to be utterly ravenous, or he was mighty good at pretending. I figure even if someone is an addict or alcoholic, you can't do them any harm by buying them a sandwich and an apple, or a bowl of soup.

+1
I wonder what Mr. Hillman meant by saying he didn't wear the boots because they are worth a lot of money. That he was afraid of being harmed by someone who wants to take them away from him? That he is keeping them unused so he can sell them in case he needs something even more essential than shoes and socks on a cold night?

I read the first (he said that they would likely be stolen, and he might be harmed) in another column, because they were expensive boots. I think I also read about him thinking of selling them (why not, if he is afraid of wearing them?). But then, why not sell them and buy a $10, inconspicuous pair? Of course, if he is homeless, it is likely that rational thought might be a problem, but it didn't seem it from some of his comments. He seemed pretty lucid.

There was also speculation in some comments that he deliberately goes barefoot to enhance his panhandling take. Hard to say, but it worked to get him those boots.

Either way, it is sad. And while the officer was doing a good deed, in retrospect, a cheap pair of warm shoes/socks (from Good Will?) might have been better - could have supplied at least ten people for the price of those boots.

-ERD50

(snip)Either way, it is sad. And while the officer was doing a good deed, in retrospect, a cheap pair of warm shoes/socks (from Good Will?) might have been better - could have supplied at least ten people for the price of those boots.

-ERD50
Probably so, but maybe there is no Goodwill store on the officer's beat. I assumed he bought the boots where he did because it was the nearest or perhaps only open shoe store at the time.

Back
Top Bottom