Google Plus

mickj

Recycles dryer sheets
I've been on google plus for a couple of days. I can see myself using this, whereas I never really liked facebook. Much easier to filter and limit content. Although I did read a rumor that they might have games on it in the future (I hope not.) If anyone would like an invite send me a PM with your email.

I was thinking of starting a thread about Google+ too. I've found it very useful for separating all my geeky ham radio talk with my ham radio buddies, from the more general talk I share with my friends. It's working really well for that.

I've also noticed that my ham radio friends have taken to Google+ really fast, while my regular friends seem reluctant to leave Facebook. The ones who do sign up for Google+ go straight back to FB to do all their chatting. It's going to take a while for this thing to get up to speed.

I agree, I am communicating a lot more with my Dad and Brother on Google plus. Most other facebook friends I invited haven't even signed up yet.

I was thinking of starting a thread about Google+ too. I've found it very useful for separating all my geeky ham radio talk with my ham radio buddies, from the more general talk I share with my friends. It's working really well for that.

I've also noticed that my ham radio friends have taken to Google+ really fast, while my regular friends seem reluctant to leave Facebook. The ones who do sign up for Google+ go straight back to FB to do all their chatting. It's going to take a while for this thing to get up to speed.

I also signed up for Google+ and I really like it better than FB. However, it hasn't quite reached critical mass. My techy friends and former colleagues are using it. However, my Hawaii friends and family aren't on it. I guess I really need to be more aggressive about sending out invites.

Once Google open it up to everyone, that's going to help it reach critical mass. It will take a lot for people to leave FB (or at least start doing all their chatting on Google+), but it just might happen.

I also prefer Google+ to FB. The layout looks cleaner, I like the way that circles operates. I really like the fact that I can make a post and can either:
a) make it publicly viewable, in which case it is a blog post
b) make it viewable to all my Google+ friends, but not to the public, in which case it is more like a status update
c) limit it's view-ability to certain of my circles or
d) send it to one person only, in which case it is a private message.

I can achieve any of the above, all from the same act of making a post.

Is there a way to "gateway" some or all of your google+ posts to a facebook account also ?

Jenny disappeared from Facebook recently, and I'll bet she's switched to google plus, and is happy that Mom and Dad haven't discovered it yet.

Jenny disappeared from Facebook recently, and I'll bet she's switched to google plus, and is happy that Mom and Dad haven't discovered it yet.
It's so much more polite than "unfriending"...

Here's an interesting article on startup "Social Intelligence" mining social networks for background checks... paid for by eager employers.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/21/t...s-a-new-job-hurdle.html?_r=1&pagewanted=print

Mr. Drucker said his goal was to conduct pre-employment screenings that would help companies meet their obligation to conduct fair and consistent hiring practices while protecting the privacy of job candidates.

For example, he said the reports remove references to a person’s religion, race, marital status, disability and other information protected under federal employment laws, which companies are not supposed to ask about during interviews. Also, job candidates must first consent to the background check, and they are notified of any adverse information found.

He argues the search reduces the risk that employers may confuse the job candidate with someone else or expose the company to information that is not legally allowable or relevant. “Googling someone is ridiculously unfair,” he said. “An employer could discriminate against someone inadvertently. Or worse, they are exposing themselves to all kinds of allegations about discrimination.”

Marc S. Rotenberg, president of the Electronic Privacy Information Center, based in Washington, said that employers were entitled to gather information to make a determination about job-related expertise, but he expressed concern that “employers should not be judging what people in their private lives do away from the workplace.”

Less than a third of the data surfaced by Mr. Drucker’s firm comes from such major social platforms as Facebook, Twitter and MySpace. He said much of the negative information about job candidates comes from deep Web searches that find comments on blogs and posts on smaller social sites, like Tumblr, the blogging site, as well as Yahoo user groups, e-commerce sites, bulletin boards and even Craigslist.

Then there are the photos and videos that people post — or find themselves tagged in — on Facebook and YouTube and other sharing sites like Flickr, Picasa, Yfrog and Photobucket.

Back
Top Bottom