Granite countertops and disinfecting

statsman

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
So, I finally scored a 5-pack of Clorox wipes at Costco this morning to use on our countertops to disinfect (partly due to our cats). My DW kindly reminded me that the Clorox/Lysol wipes (along with bleach, window cleaner, Pledge-like products, etc) are not to be used on sealed granite countertops and backsplashes.

That being the case, what do you use to disinfect granite countertops? We've been cleaning them with mild soap, but I had hoped for the ease of using the wipes from time to time. I guess not. :(

We now have a ton of wipes with few uses for them. :mad:

Since I can't get Lysol Power and Free (with hydrogen peroxide), I just use dish soap and clean the counters more often.

I get it about cats on the counter. They are clean animals, but they do use their paws in their toilets...When I had cats, I trained them not to go on the countertops, except for the spot next to the fridge (so the cats could jump up and sit there). Cats can learn to obey simple rules. One cat went to England with us. I trained her not to jump on the kitchen counters there, and when we returned to the U.S. after 3 years, she actually remembered home rules!

We also have granite, with a warning from installers to smack anyone that tried to use cleaners on them. Hrmmm what to do ?

We are cleaning with wipes and disinfectants every day. I was also told that sealant only good for a few years, so when I found a sealant at Home Depot couple years ago got it and applied according to instructions. I'll need to do it again at least once and perhaps more if we keep the disinfecting practice going. Sealing was simple and not much of a chore. More of a chore to clear all the small appliances.

Why not used Granite Gold products? Or any product made for natural stone? I prefer Granite Gold as it gives a better result. Available at Amazon, Bed Bath and Beyond, etc. These are ph neutral products that won't strip away at the seal.

Their website says they also make a disinfectant wipe safe for many surfaces.

https://www.granitegold.com/

I'm sure I'm letting myself in for burning at the stake as a heretic, but...we had gorgeous granite tops for 10 years at our old house, never re-sealed them, did not use special products, and when we moved they still looked like new. Then again, I was religious about not spilling wine on them, and cleaning up any other spills right away.

Recall that people have been walking on granite for thousands of years, long before special products were invented.

I'm sure I'm letting myself in for burning at the stake as a heretic, but...we had gorgeous granite tops for 10 years at our old house, never re-sealed them, did not use special products, and when we moved they still looked like new. Then again, I was religious about not spilling wine on them, and cleaning up any other spills right away.

Recall that people have been walking on granite for thousands of years, long before special products were invented.
You also have to wonder about the sealing process. We moved into our new house in June 2019, with the usual lecture about how to treat the granite countertops and that the sealant would last indefinitely. Sure.

So, when we started noticing dark spots around the faucet area on DW's vanity countertop the first week, after water sat on the countertop for 5-10 minutes, I already had to question their sealing process.

We have a one year warranty inspection coming soon (delayed due to COVID-19). We are once again going to bring up that vanity countertop.

I think I would rather be able to use disinfecting wipes and just go about resealing the countertops on a regular basis as mentioned earlier in this thread.

Thanks to everyone for the feedback.

Are you sure this is granite? Sounds awfully porous.

Item: There are granite tops in our current, 2004-vintage house, which was a rental when we bought it, and had belonged to a family who raised two kids in it and spent not a dime maintaining it. I don't need written proof to know they never had the grainte resealed.

There is not one stain or spot anywhere on the tops, either in the kitchen or the wet bar.

You also have to wonder about the sealing process. We moved into our new house in June 2019, with the usual lecture about how to treat the granite countertops and that the sealant would last indefinitely. Sure.

So, when we started noticing dark spots around the faucet area on DW's vanity countertop the first week, after water sat on the countertop for 5-10 minutes, I already had to question their sealing process.

So, I finally scored a 5-pack of Clorox wipes at Costco this morning to use on our countertops to disinfect (partly due to our cats). My DW kindly reminded me that the Clorox/Lysol wipes (along with bleach, window cleaner, Pledge-like products, etc) are not to be used on sealed granite countertops and backsplashes.

That being the case, what do you use to disinfect granite countertops? We've been cleaning them with mild soap, but I had hoped for the ease of using the wipes from time to time. I guess not. :(

We now have a ton of wipes with few uses for them. :mad:
Dish soap disinfects perfectly well. We also use granite cleaner.

We had granite counter tops installed 15 years ago. Other than some granite wax to shine them up when company comes (maybe twice a year) all I ever use on them is the Clorox wipes. At least for the past 6 years I can think of anyways. I wipe them down daily and sometimes 2 or 3 times a day depending on how many meals I've been preparing. At least once a day because I got into the habit when my Alzheimer's diagnosed dad lived with us and he's not so good at hygiene.

The granite looks perfect to me other than a spot where my wife thought she could use it as a cutting board surface for quick cut-ups. She won't be doing THAT again. Ha!
Look, granite is one of the toughest rocks out there. As long as nothing hard is abrading it, I can't see how you could ever wear it down.

Last edited:
Good old white Formica here. Bleach or cleaners nothing can damage it. ��

This. Out last house...they were 7 years old when we moved out...still looked new, and lots of Clorox wipes used. We continue to do that with our new house. They are sealed...so...I don't see a problem.

I use 409 regularly and bleach solution (couldn't find wipes) in the early Covid days when I was wiping down granite countertop after mail and grocery unloading. I don't use bleach solution any more as it does a number with my asthma.

Is there something special about Clorox wipes vs diluted Clorox bleach on a paper towel?

Yep we use Lysol wipes too. Not worried.

We use thin flexible cutting boards, which we then wash in the sink, so I have never ever disinfected my granite counters, nor even thought about it. (Should I :confused:) We just wipe them down with a wet cloth and a little dish soap. And then every so often we shine them up with natural stone cleaner and polish. They are such an easy surface to take care of.

I assume she destroyed some perfectly good knives? It's hard to scratch granite, unless it's got some softer mineral in the pattern, or unless you use carborundum knives.

The granite looks perfect to me other than a spot where my wife thought she could use it as a cutting board surface for quick cut-ups. She won't be doing THAT again. Ha!

Last edited by a moderator:
The wife sprays the granite with windex. I don't think wipes are gonna hurt it.

Natural stone is hard and porous. I just checked my furniture polish that says it is OK on granite. I am 100% confident the chemist tested it. It was SC Johnson Favor. Pledge is a similar formula so I expect that is ok to.

I think most products will work if contact time and volume of product is limited. A Clorox wipe, sprayed and wiped cleaning product without abrasives or squeezed out sponge With some type of cleaner/disinfectant, should be fine.

We just clean ours. "Disinfection" of counters is probably a lost cause, since food is being eaten all day long. It would be like "disinfecting" the floor, then worrying because somebody walked on it.

I do carefully disinfect the cutting board where meat is prepared. I scrub it with a brush and lots of soap and water.

We use thin flexible cutting boards, which we then wash in the sink, so I have never ever disinfected my granite counters, nor even thought about it. (Should I :confused:) We just wipe them down with a wet cloth and a little dish soap. And then every so often we shine them up with natural stone cleaner and polish. They are such an easy surface to take care of.

I mainly disinfect right after washing or cutting raw meat, especially poultry or raw eggs. For cutting I use a board, but always consider there is some contamination around the board, plus packaging.

DH does the overall wiping down surfaces, and he mainly uses granite cleaner.

The wife sprays the granite with windex. I don't think wipes are gonna hurt it.

I did this for years in my old house with granite tile countertops. The new place has granite slab and I still use windex to give it a nice shine. We’ve also used wipes recently and before then, dish soap.

The granite looks fine so far. No idea when or if the countertops were sealed.

I mainly disinfect right after washing or cutting raw meat, especially poultry or raw eggs. For cutting I use a board, but always consider there is some contamination around the board, plus packaging.

DH does the overall wiping down surfaces, and he mainly uses granite cleaner.

That makes sense. We've never cut directly on our granite.

This article claims Windex and other ammonia-based cleaners will break down the seal on polished granite.

However, it also says it's fine to use isopropyl alcohol to disinfect granite. IA is such a potent solvent, it amazes me that it wouldn't degrade the sealer faster than Windex ever could.

https://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-cl...rtops-cleaning-lessons-from-the-kitchn-202159

I did this for years in my old house with granite tile countertops. The new place has granite slab and I still use windex to give it a nice shine. We’ve also used wipes recently and before then, dish soap.

The granite looks fine so far. No idea when or if the countertops were sealed.

That makes sense. We've never cut directly on our granite.

Our granite countertop installer told us not to cut things directly on the granite "because it will ruin your knife."

Since I can't get Lysol Power and Free (with hydrogen peroxide), I just use dish soap and clean the counters more often.

I get it about cats on the counter. They are clean animals, but they do use their paws in their toilets...When I had cats, I trained them not to go on the countertops, except for the spot next to the fridge (so the cats could jump up and sit there). Cats can learn to obey simple rules. One cat went to England with us. I trained her not to jump on the kitchen counters there, and when we returned to the U.S. after 3 years, she actually remembered home rules!

I had two cats and they learned to never go on the table—-when I was there. Noticed little paw prints when I came home.

Back
Top Bottom