Great Site!

Steel Rain

Recycles dryer sheets
I wanted to say hello. I found this site about a month ago and have been reading regularly for weeks :) A little bit about me. Im 46, married with two college age children. I have just started seriously thinking about the particulars of possible early retirement in our mid 50's.

We have been saving pretty agressivley up to this point and have about 350k in 401ks and are half owners of 4 rental houses. Due to the instability of my job, we paid off our house last month :dance: Im in a "whats next" sort of mode now, hence why im here :) I have a ton of questions, particularly around investing in non-tax advantaged accounts. I will put those in the correct areas of the forum.

I just wanted to say thanks for having this site, i have learned a ton already and its very motivating to read posts from people who have successuflly FIRE'd.

Steel

Hi Steel, welcome to the forum. This is a great place for people with lots of questions about early retirement, and other stuff too. If your skin is as thick as your name implies, you'll feel right at home:)

Welcome aboard. This is a great site with many smart, helpful members. I have learned a great deal here myself, and you can too...

Welcome Steel. The collective knowledge on these boards continually amazes me.

Do you follow Oswego State college hockey? It was nice to see them break through to the finals this year after losing in the semis the last two years, but SNC was just too good. I was rooting for Oswego in the final.

Hmm, I think you are refering to Oswego NY :) I actually live in Oswego Illinois, its a far western suburb of Chicago.

Hehe, well the comes from an old game i used to play called combat mission. I had a reputation for using copious quantities of artillery on everything :)

Welcome -- I'm in a fairly similar boat but without the children or rental real estate investments. Also 46, also married, also still working, alsot with a paid off home and hoping to save aggressively enough to retire fairly soon, or at least keep us afloat if I lose my job.

There's a lot of experience here to learn from. Sit a spell and enjoy!

My j*b is in Oswego, IL. Nice little town.

Wow, we dont have much in the way of a job base here. I view Oswego as a Naperville wannabe :) It is a nice town though. When we moved here, there were 5500 residents, 15 years later, we are closer to 40k people.

Steel

Welcome! This site was instrumental in giving me the confidence to ER, which was exactly what I needed at the time. It was probably just in time as I was a frog in hot water and had no idea how close it was to boiling until I hopped out. Good luck with your planning and decisions!

Wow, we dont have much in the way of a job base here. I view Oswego as a Naperville wannabe :) It is a nice town though. When we moved here, there were 5500 residents, 15 years later, we are closer to 40k people.

Steel

My college roomate moved to Oswego Illinois back when their subdivision was in the middle of cornfields. He has worked at 'the labs' all along.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom