Greatest love songs ever

So perhaps a bit more Roy this evening. That voice of his is simply amazing. Plus who else could get Bruce Springstein, Bonnie Rhait, Elvis Costello, K. D. Lang, and other amazing artists to serve as back up performers?

and if that doesn't do it for ya, try this one on. Blows me away every time. *sigh* Notice the great Tom Waits in the opening scene. Dang this is fine stuff..."Yeah DH, I'd love another glass of Merlot":cool:

and a bittersweet one that was my favorite in 2005:

2Cor521

2Cor521

Joe Dassin was born in New York, but his songs became great hits in France in the early 70s. He died young of a heart attack at the age of 41. His songs have been translated to different languages, but unfortunately English was not one of those.

Et si tu n'existais pas
Et si tu n'existais pas
Dis-moi pourquoi j'existerais
Pour traîner dans un monde sans toi
Sans espoir et sans regret
Et si tu n'existais pas
J'essaierais d'inventer l'amour
Comme un peintre qui voit sous ses doigts
Naître les couleurs du jour
Et qui n'en revient pas...​
If you did not exist
And if you did not exist
Tell me why I would exist
To trail in a world without you
With no hope and no regrets
And if you did not exist
I would try to invent love
Like a painter who sees under his fingers
The colors of the day being born
And who never returns....

Often, it's the bemoaning of the loss of love that makes a song great. "The Crying Game" was a hit in 1965, and was revived as the theme song in a 1992 movie of the same name. I missed this movie when it came out, but really enjoyed it in DVD form. If you are to watch this movie, do not read about its plot as that would certainly spoil it.

The Crying Game
I know all there is to know, about the crying game
I've had my share of the crying game
First there are kisses
Then there are sighs
And then before you know where you are, you're saying goodbye

YouTube - Boy George The Crying Game - Copyright: Capitol Records (1992)

73, you are posting these at midday? I worry. :)

Ha

DW and I had this as our wedding song almost 38 years ago.

This is Kenny Vance from the Planatones who used to sing with Jay and the Americans, on the right is Johnny Maestro. Johnny passed last year and I knew him personally, what a great guy and he sounded as good at 70 as he did at 18. Johnny sang with the Crests back in the 50's (16 candles?) and spent the last 40+ years with the Brooklyn Bridge.

Enjoy W2R!

YouTube - Kenny Vance & Johnny Maestro - "Let It Be Me"

Reactions: W2R
Back
Top Bottom