Grocery Shopping

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our numbers are growing. We have five supermarkets near our house and just today, it was announced that two of them have one employee who has tested positive for the first time. Pretty soon, it will be impossible to avoid walking past someone who is positive, unless you stay home and don't go out.

I have always used wipes away from home even before Covid--grocery carts, gas station, hotel rooms, public bathrooms, etc. I am also still using wipes for groceries that we cannot put in quarantine. We are high risk--around age 70 and DH autoimmune disease so I have always had to be extra careful, even before Covid and especially now. When I can't find wipes I use spray alcohol and paper towels but this is messy and not convenient.

Our numbers are growing. We have five supermarkets near our house and just today, it was announced that two of them have one employee who has tested positive for the first time. Pretty soon, it will be impossible to avoid walking past someone who is positive, unless you stay home and don't go out.

Are your supermarkets announcing that they have positive cases? I wish our supermarkets would make these announcements. They do not and the only way we find out is rumors and employees going to the newspapers, etc. I think it would be better for these stores to be honest, announce the positive tests and tell the public what is being done--employees staying home, sanitizing, etc.

I bought a container of wipes in February and I'm still using it. I take one into the grocery when I go shopping every two weeks. I use it to wipe down the handle of the cart and when I open the refrigerator case doors. I don't see a big need for wipes at home.

Harlee,

News media reported those two supermarkets but I am not sure if they do for all supermarkets. Some stores have a website page showing all the outbreaks. Health department does not announce positive cases for restaurants and gyms unless they think it will help the public.

Harlee,

News media reported those two supermarkets but I am not sure if they do for all supermarkets. Some stores have a website page showing all the outbreaks. Health department does not announce positive cases for restaurants and gyms unless they think it will help the public.

I re-read the article. The store chains released the info, not the Health Dept.

Not exactly groceries, but here's a weird one.
I need to replace my 18-quart (4.5 gallon) plastic dishpan. Sterilite and Rubbermaid make this size. Walmart, Kohls, and Target all refuse to ship it. I'm not inclined to travel across town to actual stores, in hopes one may have it in stock. So I ordered from Amazon:

RHP2951ARWHT - Rubbermaid Dishpan, 4.5gal, White
Sold by: Stock Your Home
$8.99

The dishpan they sent me was only 11.4 quarts, clearly labeled as such. Someone had slapped on another label that said 18 quarts/4.5 gal.

I requested a return, explained why, and posted a User Comment.

A few weeks later, I placed another order for a 4.5 gal dishpan. And got the exact same, mislabeled 11.4 quart dishpan.

I re-read the article. The store chains released the info, not the Health Dept.

Thanks for the info--sounds like your local stores are doing the right thing releasing the info, I wish stores in my area would do this.

Not exactly groceries, but here's a weird one.

I need to replace my 18-quart (4.5 gallon) plastic dishpan. Sterilite and Rubbermaid make this size. Walmart, Kohls, and Target all refuse to ship it. I'm not inclined to travel across town to actual stores, in hopes one may have it in stock. So I ordered from Amazon:

RHP2951ARWHT - Rubbermaid Dishpan, 4.5gal, White
Sold by: Stock Your Home
$8.99

The dishpan they sent me was only 11.4 quarts, clearly labeled as such. Someone had slapped on another label that said 18 quarts/4.5 gal.

I requested a return, explained why, and posted a User Comment.

A few weeks later, I placed another order for a 4.5 gal dishpan. And got the exact same, mislabeled 11.4 quart dishpan.

The good news is they are consistent :LOL::LOL:

Our fridge packed it in two weeks ago. 13 years old, freon leak. Time for a replacement.

Sounds easy? We needed an immediate replacement. Went shopping and to our amazement delivery was not available on many units. Some out as far as Nov. and Dec. Much of the available stock consisted of poorly reviewed models.

We ended up with two final choices based on our preferences and delivery-Whirlpool and LG. Whirlpool was subsequently struck off the list because of their poor quality and maintenance record. We settled for the LG because it could be delivered within two business days.

Two very large wholesale appliance firms told us the issue was parts. Manufacturers are experiencing significant delays in sourcing parts from different countries. Some covid related, some trade related.

Last edited:
Could someone please remind me why wipes are so important?

We seem to be doing fine with spray and paper towels; also old white towels that go in the washer.

Still, wipes seem to be such a hot item, that there must be some real advantage to them.

Right, we rarely use them. So what we have will last a while.

Gosh, I’ve assumed I’ve walked past someone who is positive several times since March. But as long as we are just passing and I don’t sit down next to them and have a long chat, I haven’t been concerned.

Gosh, I’ve assumed I’ve walked past someone who is positive several times since March. But as long as we are just passing and I don’t sit down next to them and have a long chat, I haven’t been concerned.

I'm not that concerned myself either (except when my physio who doesn't cover his nose sneezed when I was lying on my stomach on my table - I did have my mask over my mouth but still...)

A friend of mine happened to visit the store with a COVID employee twice last week and she was freaking out. I said to her that she's probably OK as long as she didn't linger in one area of the store for 10-15 minutes (microdroplets with low air circulation) or chat with an employee for 10-15 minutes without social distancing or without a mask.

Our numbers had been very good if you didn't count the LTC outbreaks, so the chances are much higher now of walking past someone with COVID. I have installed the COVID alert app but haven't been notified yet although I'm not sure how useful the app is... I probably passed a few people with COVID when I was in Tokyo in the busy touristy areas in the middle of January and flying back, being stuck at busy airports in Denver and SF for hours at the end of January due to weather issues.

I just came back from picking up my prescriptions. They're rationing dispensing medicine again - They're only giving one month worth instead of 3 months.

I'm not that concerned myself either (except when my physio who doesn't cover his nose sneezed when I was lying on my stomach on my table - I did have my mask over my mouth but still...)
Oh, no! I wouldn’t stay close to a medical professional who doesn’t cover their nose! That’s crazy!

Our fridge packed it in two weeks ago. 13 years old, freon leak. Time for a replacement.

Sounds easy? We needed an immediate replacement. Went shopping and to our amazement delivery was not available on many units. Some out as far as Nov. and Dec. Much of the available stock consisted of poorly reviewed models.

We ended up with two final choices based on our preferences and delivery-Whirlpool and LG. Whirlpool was subsequently struck off the list because of their poor quality and maintenance record. We settled for the LG because it could be delivered within two business days.

Two very large wholesale appliance firms told us the issue was parts. Manufacturers are experiencing significant delays in sourcing parts from different countries. Some covid related, some trade related.

It sounds like all bets are off on refrigerator, freezer, and window air conditioner quality reviews if parts start being sourced from different than the past suppliers.

Cheers!

Oh, no! I wouldn’t stay close to a medical professional who doesn’t cover their nose! That’s crazy!

Right? Some people wear their masks way too loose. He was lifting his mask up constantly! (Personally, I try not to touch my mask...) As soon as he sneezed, he said he had bad allergies, but I haven't gone back to see him since!

Don't know.

We took advice from Consumer Reports data and from two different appliance repair techs. All three essentially pointed to one or two brands and very much away from a few other brands based on their warranty and repair experiences.

I just came back from picking up my prescriptions. They're rationing dispensing medicine again - They're only giving one month worth instead of 3 months.

How strange! I think they are not doing that down here in Louisiana, quite yet (although it wouldn't surprise me).

Eleven days ago (on September 17th) I got 3 month supplies of each of my four regular prescriptions, from Walgreen's. Had no problem doing the same in early March and then again in June.

How strange! I think they are not doing that down here in Louisiana, quite yet (although it wouldn't surprise me).

Eleven days ago (on September 17th) I got 3 month supplies of each of my four regular prescriptions, from Walgreen's. Had no problem doing the same in early March and then again in June.

I live in Canada (Ontario). They did that a while back (April?) when our numbers were increasing and they stopped. Now that we're having more COVID positives, they seem to have started it again. It's a PITA that I have to go back in again in a month. They also started doing COVID tests in local pharmacies for asymptomatic people (as current test sites are now swamped), so who wants to go inside just to pick up prescriptions:confused: They don't do mail orders here, but they do deliveries (although they cannot tell you what time of the day they will come so you'll have to be home all day and not go to the bathroom, etc LOL) but I might consider that.

Last edited:
I don't understand the 3 month thing. If you can't renew for 70 days or so, what difference does it make. Or is the supply pipeline that sensitive?

OR, does the system depend on zero waste. Say that if you die, and if you have 3 months supply, then you leave 2 months to rot? If they only give our 1 month at a time, when you die, you leave 2 weeks to rot. Is our supply that on the edge?

That could be a local supply issue. Or, even your insurance company "pushing" you to mail order. I have seen no issue with mail order 90 day supplies. Never tried to get a local 90-day supply, and some insurance plans will not even allow it.

I don't understand the 3 month thing. If you can't renew for 70 days or so, what difference does it make. Or is the supply pipeline that sensitive?

OR, does the system depend on zero waste. Say that if you die, and if you have 3 months supply, then you leave 2 months to rot? If they only give our 1 month at a time, when you die, you leave 2 weeks to rot. Is our supply that on the edge?

Here's a news clip when the restriction was lifted.

"The restriction on the supply of medications was critical to prevent drug shortages due to increased demand and stockpiling at the outset of the COVID-19 outbreak,"

https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/ontario-to-lift-30-day-limit-on-prescriptions-next-week-1.4980841

Maybe people were starting to stockpile extra medicine like they do with TP... It wouldn't surprise me.

Last edited:
I don't understand the 3 month thing.....

:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL: I was thinking this too, but didn't feel people would want to know. .... They must save a lot of pills from going to waste.

Should do it with TP too.... ;)

That could be a local supply issue. Or, even your insurance company "pushing" you to mail order. I have seen no issue with mail order 90 day supplies. Never tried to get a local 90-day supply, and some insurance plans will not even allow it.

Here's a news clip when the restriction was lifted.

"The restriction on the supply of medications was critical to prevent drug shortages due to increased demand and stockpiling at the outset of the COVID-19 outbreak,"

https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/ontario-to-lift-30-day-limit-on-prescriptions-next-week-1.4980841

Maybe people were starting to stockpile extra medicine like they do with TP... It wouldn't surprise me.

Missed the fact you were in Canada. Different issues, I am sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom