Grocery Shopping

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had not done COFSDASH™ in a while, so decided to go to my local Costco this morning and check things out. Arrived about 8:40 AM, only 5 folks ahead of me in line, by the 9AM opening I estimated a total of 30 people.

They had the 5 pack Clorox wipes in stock, but had 2 employees handing them out to people who wanted them. Limit 1 per member. I observed several members trying to make the case for getting more than one, but the employees stood firm.

I checked the pallet before I left, it seemed about half depleted. However, upon exiting, I noticed a much longer line of "regular" folks waiting for the 10AM opening, so my guess is the remaining wipes would be scarfed up in less than an hour.

All the other "when the Apocalypse comes I do not want to be stuck without it" items were plentiful in stock.

My Costco had a pallet of the Kirkland Signature sanitizing wipes and I picked up box. Limit 1. No lines when I arrived about 15 minutes after the old folks time started, and no lines for the hoi polloi when I left. I guess my Costco is not as popular as some others.

Last edited:
Me too Joe --I have not been inside a store since March 5--I may never go in side a grocery store again.

We have not been in a store (of any kind) since January -- we were stocked for a couple weeks. I haven't missed any of the joys of in-store shopping... particularly the check-out aspect. (I did love Sam's Club method of scanning the bar code to add it to your cart and therefore by-passing the check-out lines.)

We do shop AT a store at least once a week. We dutifully wear our masks and socially distance and use the hand sanitizer, etc. etc. The stores slavishly disinfect each cart. There are 6 foot taped areas and one-way in-store traffic patterns. We find that the "process" of shopping in person is a stress reliever. It adds an element of "normalcy" to our existence.

As far as the risks are concerned, we certainly are in the "at risk" category, but our Island has been averaging 100 new cases a day (out of maybe 1.2 million people.) Deaths are 0 to 3 per day - almost all recently have been in clusters within care homes, etc. Hospitalizations are way down. There are fewer than 3000 active cases in the state. While we don't consider this situation to be zero risk, we believe it to be low risk - especially since we actively manage risk with our behaviors. Should things change, we will reevaluate. Until then, I kind of like to get "out" and feel "normal" again. Our fear of Covid is balanced against our desire for a return to normalcy. YMMV

Overall I love Costco and I'm a shareholder because of that as well as a member, but they just pulled something else that runs me the wrong way. The first was installing a large amount of self-checkouts.

This week I bought alcohol and waited in the regular checkout line- both because I'm not happy they installed self-checkouts and because buying alcohol usually requires that a clerk come over anyway. I'm 67. I look 67. I definitely do NOT look like I could possibly be under 21. They asked for my driver's license. I chuckled and showed them the front. They asked to see the back. They scanned it.:mad:

Dammit, I know that I've given up shreds of my privacy all over the Internet for the past few decades but they had no reason to scan (and presumably store) the information. I know the battle is lost since I let them do it once but if they try it the next time and insist on scanning the back of the license I'm not buying the alcohol there.

Overall I love Costco and I'm a shareholder because of that as well as a member, but they just pulled something else that runs me the wrong way. The first was installing a large amount of self-checkouts.

This week I bought alcohol and waited in the regular checkout line- both because I'm not happy they installed self-checkouts and because buying alcohol usually requires that a clerk come over anyway. I'm 67. I look 67. I definitely do NOT look like I could possibly be under 21. They asked for my driver's license. I chuckled and showed them the front. They asked to see the back. They scanned it.:mad:

Dammit, I know that I've given up shreds of my privacy all over the Internet for the past few decades but they had no reason to scan (and presumably store) the information. I know the battle is lost since I let them do it once but if they try it the next time and insist on scanning the back of the license I'm not buying the alcohol there.

I am not sure what State you live in but... when Colorado recently allowed full-powered beer in grocery stores, the legislature put in place many what I consider "silly" rules. It is possible that your State requires that the store (Costco, in this case) has to document exactly who bought what. If such, you can't blame Costco for they would lose their license if they didn't follow the rules.

I suppose I could ask if the state requires it. I agree that if it’s the law it won’t be any different anywhere else in the state.

I seriously hate costco, but wifey likes it and they do have quality stuff.

They were the only game in town for asswipe during the covid start.

I dunno, I never had a problem with booze. But I think I did the DL thing when I signed up.

Went to my favorite large grocery store for the first time in 2 months. While there are still empty shelf spaces and some shortages, there was plenty of TP and paper towels as usual, although a few more generic brands. New items were Lysol spray cleaner and a couple of types of disinfectant wipes but not the good stuff. In the cleaning products aisle, there was a camera/monitor screen capturing the images of shoppers. Remote monitoring to ensure no one took more than the limit?

I went in the evening and there were no paper towels at the cart disinfectant station and I had forgotten to bring alcohol wipes :facepalm:. So I was careful not to touch my face and used hand sanitizer. The store continues to have one way aisles and require masks (state mandate) and everyone wore one. There were posted signs that the store was looking to hire stockers.

COVID 19 cases are starting to increase in my state after partial reopening of in-door dining, colleges, etc. in September which makes me a little nervous. I buy enough groceries for 2 weeks or more at a time to lessen the number of trips.

RonBoyd said:
I am not sure what State you live in but... when Colorado recently allowed full-powered beer in grocery stores, the legislature put in place many what I consider "silly" rules. It is possible that your State requires that the store (Costco, in this case) has to document exactly who bought what. If such, you can't blame Costco for they would lose their license if they didn't follow the rules.

Good point. I have never been asked for ID at a Costco in my state when buying adult beverages.

Some folks eat out of some dumpsters better than many other people pay for.
Sad commentary on USAs public educational system imo.
Lower the bar again.:rant:

Shuttered

The Asian grocery store that I've been going to for 20 years closed :(

There's another one, a bit farther away, but it's not as nice. Disappointing because the manager / owner started telling me about the facelift project last year, and I watched the store go from disorganized and cluttered to open, bright and welcoming. I hope it opens again, but with the big box and warehouse on one side, and the specialty web orders on the other, it might go the way of Radio Shack.

Today's Walmart order included a loaf of Sara Lee low-calorie bread, which I didn't request, and was not charged for. It seemed like an odd gift, but I wasn't going to look it in the mouth.

Today's Walmart order included a loaf of Sara Lee low-calorie bread, which I didn't request, and was not charged for. It seemed like an odd gift, but I wasn't going to look it in the mouth.

Dang I wondered where my loaf of bread went......

Old Shooter will be over in few minutes. Tell him about your free lunch. :D

It was in the bag with my regular loaf of whole grain bread. The bread slices are tiny, and the loaf is long and skinny inside its bag, like a Slinky. I guess that's how you get "low calorie" bread - make the slices half as big.

Dang I wondered where my loaf of bread went......

The Asian grocery store that I've been going to for 20 years closed :(

There's another one, a bit farther away, but it's not as nice. Disappointing because the manager / owner started telling me about the facelift project last year, and I watched the store go from disorganized and cluttered to open, bright and welcoming. I hope it opens again, but with the big box and warehouse on one side, and the specialty web orders on the other, it might go the way of Radio Shack.
I canceled my Costco membership when I couldn't get what I needed there. I can get 'my' rice and nori at 99 Ranch & Safeway but not Costco

I "heard" on the news a few days ago that with the rise in CV19 cases, stores are expecting another TP and Paper Towels shortage to be coming soon. So by saying this on TV are they creating a run (no pun intended) on TP? :)

So I stopped at one of the local dollars stores while we were out yesterday and they had no limits on any paper products and were fully stocked. So I'm now stocked up for another year on the brand name stuff :blush:... I was even able to pick up a couple of off brand 6 pack paper towel rolls for a $1 a pack... What a deal... Just doing my part to add to the panic.

I "heard" on the news a few days ago that with the rise in CV19 cases, stores are expecting another TP and Paper Towels shortage to be coming soon. So by saying this on TV are they creating a run (no pun intended) on TP? :)

So I stopped at one of the local dollars stores while we were out yesterday and they had no limits on any paper products and were fully stocked. So I'm now stocked up for another year on the brand name stuff :blush:... I was even able to pick up a couple of off brand 6 pack paper towel rolls for a $1 a pack... What a deal... Just doing my part to add to the panic.

Yes, where is the pre election panic buying? Just yesterday I saw another panic-inducing blurb on a major network. But so far, nothing, happily. Keeping my fingers crossed. But I may have to buy a few pounds of fish and beef for the freezer, just to prevent a panic, lol.

Scott paper towels have been missing in action around my area for months.

I'm stocking up on wine[emoji40] not hoarding just another case.

Exactly what I did. Two cases of Australian shiraz (incredible sale) and a case of Chilean merlot.

Today for the first time since March I was able to purchase my preferred brands (Scott bathroom tissue and Brawny paper towels) from the grocery store, instead of paying piracy prices on Amazon. I am only buying what I need, so one pack of each.

And to my amazement the store had their brand of disinfecting wipes in stock for the first time in many months. I had placed the order for Lysol wipes, but these are the same (generic) thing at a lower price, which they substituted because they were out of the Lysol ones. Fine by me.

Attachments

• Teeter Wipes.jpg
    Teeter Wipes.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 54
Agree! And we haven't stepped foot in the store in 6 months...

We have not been in a store (of any kind) since January -- we were stocked for a couple weeks...

We do shop AT a store at least once a week. We dutifully wear our masks and socially distance and use the hand sanitizer, etc. etc. The stores slavishly disinfect each cart. There are 6 foot taped areas and one-way in-store traffic patterns. We find that the "process" of shopping in person is a stress reliever. It adds an element of "normalcy" to our existence...

I kind of like to get "out" and feel "normal" again. Our fear of Covid is balanced against our desire for a return to normalcy. YMMV

We have not used online shopping or curbside pickup. We have been going to stores in person, but wearing mask and practicing social distancing.

Before and after Covid, shopping is one of the few occasions that we leave the home. I think with the precautions we take, the risk is small.

Recently, was able to pick up some Cervena venison striploin and shortrib. I often have NZ lamb rack, but have not tried farm-raised venison. If I stayed home, would not be able to spot this kind of specialty items.

We have not used online shopping or curbside pickup. We have been going to stores in person, but wearing mask and practicing social distancing.

Before and after Covid, shopping is one of the few occasions that we leave the home. I think with the precautions we take, the risk is small.

Same here. Just the simple act of going to the grocery store (less than two miles from home) goes a long way toward beating cabin fever. People in my county have been very conscientious about masking and distancing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom