Grocery Shopping

Status
Not open for further replies.
That’s weird. I just pulled them up again and they show $38.99, Prime delivery, delivered on April 27-28. Ships and sold by Amazon.com

Thanks for the suggestion. I ordered some as well. I am sewing washable masks but that is slow going and it will be good to have a back up supply. We have to wear them in stores here now.

Last edited:
We just finished our fourth shopping episode using instacart over the last three weeks. We needed to restock on perishables. We decided to use it after this quote from my SIL regarding instacart: "I thought I was lucky having a husband who likes to shop. This is better-----no dumb questions. hahahahaha" It's been good, the shoppers were all very good, and we had an overall great experience. It is more expensive than going shopping yourself, but the point is we don't want to go ourselves, so that's the tradeoff. Now DW decided she likes having someone else shopping for her! But that tells me the quality of service has been very good!!

We have been using Sprouts as the source. But we have a choice of Costco, Smiths, Albertsons, Sam's, and Target. (Whole Foods is not near us). We are all caught up on food now, so we might try Costco in late May. We haven't shopped there since the mad dash to the stores in early March.

+1 on Instacart.

I saw where they are hiring 250K shoppers to meet demand. I don't see how these folks make money. Unless the service is terrible, I'm tipping at least 20%. My orders average about $45. We've completed 5 orders from Aldi all delivered in 4 hours or less (much less generally). Bonus is orders placed for my eldest brother who used to rely on the all you can eat buffet for many meals. It would be too awkward for me to bring him groceries.

DH isn't an Instacart fan so I'm still exploring grocery options for us for the long haul. We can get curb side pick up orders in now at local supermarkets but I'd like to find some lower price options with the same safety level.

Some people we know like SHIPT service. I don't have any experience with it.

I tried Sam's Club pick up again ....The app reply at our store goes nowhere and they do not use it.

The prices there are so much better at Sam's than the pandemic supermarket prices I was hoping to find a way to order online and then pick up my order with minimal time inside.

We had the same sort of experience at Sam's pickup. But I became a plus member some time ago for lower prescription costs, and Sam's free-shipping-for-plus has worked out well for us. Except for yeast. I even got a shipment of TP from Sam's since this all started.

I tried Sam's Club pick up again during senior / concierge hours. The concierge service would do shopping but not get my pick up order so I had to go in the store. They have an app to reply to to let them know you are coming for pick up and your cart will be waiting. At our local store this is not true at all. The app reply at our store goes nowhere and they do not use it. It took 20+ minutes in the store again to get my order. First they couldn't find the paperwork then they only brought out part of the order and had to hunt for the rest of it.

The prices there are so much better at Sam's than the pandemic supermarket prices I was hoping to find a way to order online and then pick up my order with minimal time inside. But after two tries we will probably abandon that option as the pick up both times required significant time in the busy store (20 - 40 minutes). The senior curb side concierge service seemed promising from the email but not so great once we got there. Our store had seniors waiting in a busy area with cars packed together and many customers and employees milling about so that didn't seem like a safe option, either.

DH isn't an Instacart fan so I'm still exploring grocery options for us for the long haul. We can get curb side pick up orders in now at local supermarkets but I'd like to find some lower price options with the same safety level.

Funny that Sams is owned by Walmart yet Walmart gets curbside so right and sams get it so wrong.

Funny that Sams is owned by Walmart yet Walmart gets curbside so right and sams get it so wrong.
Sounds like our experience with FedEx the past year. We've been in our new house for almost 11 months, and FedEx Home has no problem finding us. Lots of deliveries without issues or delays despite being a relatively new housing tract.

FedEx Express, OTOH, can't find us on the map. Three deliveries in the past four months, and each one has thrown delivery exceptions (can't find address, no business at address, etc.). Just happened again this week.

Sounds like our experience with FedEx the past year. We've been in our new house for almost 11 months, and FedEx Home has no problem finding us. Lots of deliveries without issues or delays despite being a relatively new housing tract.

FedEx Express, OTOH, can't find us on the map. Three deliveries in the past four months, and each one has thrown delivery exceptions (can't find address, no business at address, etc.). Just happened again this week.

Absurdity at its finest.

That’s weird. I just pulled them up again and they show $38.99, Prime delivery, delivered on April 27-28. Ships and sold by Amazon.com

Meant to say I don't have Prime, so my free delivery takes a few days longer (May 1-4)

We had the same sort of experience at Sam's pickup. But I became a plus member some time ago for lower prescription costs, and Sam's free-shipping-for-plus has worked out well for us. Except for yeast. I even got a shipment of TP from Sam's since this all started.

I also have a plus membership, shared with a friend. We are plus, mostly because the other person does a lot of shopping at Sam's - while I only go there a couple/few times a year. However, having plus has really helped here as I've made use of it - ten orders since late February (which was when I decided it was no longer safe to physically go to stores). I was able to order things like canned milk, canned coconut milk, coffee, Lysol spray, floor cleaner/sanitizer (gallon size), Tylenol, various vitamins, canned 100% fruit. I did all of these before the SHTF in terms of panic buying by people. Since then, Mrs. Dash (use it for tons of things), Almonds (yum), giant sized Grated Parmesan Cheese, sliced peaches in 100% juice, unsweetened apple sauce, Popcorn (two cases), a glass storage set (running out of glass containers to keep everything I've been cooking/freezing), Cheerios and Vanilla extract (I make my own sugar free coffee creamer).

It's been great - no shipping $, and they are typically quick to ship. Almost more importantly, they don't use USPS with which I consonantly have issues in terms of delivery (again I am faced with having to go to the Post Office because they have a package being held there). I am *SO GLAD* my friend wanted to do the plus membership (and they get the bonus rebate with all my extra purchases).

I did sell some of my Walmart holding recently, just because it has run up SO much and if we do somewhat get back to normal it might become a relative under-performer. But so far, that has been a mistake as it continues to move to new highs.

>> DH isn't an Instacart fan so I'm still exploring grocery options for us for the long haul.

Instacart listed items as priced per pound on their website, then charged me the one-pound price for prepacked containers of less than half a pound. After multiple emails and escalating to a supervisor, they're "making an exception" and refunding me the difference.

"Not a fan" doesn't begin to capture how I feel about Instacart right now.

Actually, Sam's does not offer curbside, just in-store pickup. Perhaps your point was that Sam's should offer curbside? Or maybe it's just our local Sam's that doesn't offer curbside?

I've tried our local Sam's in-store pickup once, about three weeks ago. It was OK but not impressive. I was given a one hour window during which my order was to be ready. They sent me a text when it was complete (and it was on time). When I got there, I notified them of my arrival using their APP. I was inside for only about ten minutes most of which was the time it took for the clerk to find my refrigerated items in the cooler and add them to the cart. But, admittedly, I'd rather not go inside at all.

I may give it a try again if I can locate a N95 facemask to wear while I'm inside.

Actually, Sam's does not offer curbside, just in-store pickup. Perhaps your point was that Sam's should offer curbside? Or maybe it's just our local Sam's that doesn't offer curbside?

I've tried our local Sam's in-store pickup once, about three weeks ago. It was OK but not impressive. I was given a one hour window during which my order was to be ready. They sent me a text when it was complete (and it was on time). When I got there, I notified them of my arrival using their APP. I was inside for only about ten minutes most of which was the time it took for the clerk to find my refrigerated items in the cooler and add them to the cart. But, admittedly, I'd rather not go inside at all.

I may give it a try again if I can locate a N95 facemask to wear while I'm inside.

Actually my point was that Sams in store pick is a mess at my Sams as it it is at the other posters Sams. Yet Walmart does better with a more difficult system and they are owned by the same ownership, maybe Walmart management needs to teach Sams management how to do it.

>> DH isn't an Instacart fan so I'm still exploring grocery options for us for the long haul.

Instacart listed items as priced per pound on their website, then charged me the one-pound price for prepacked containers of less than half a pound. After multiple emails and escalating to a supervisor, they're "making an exception" and refunding me the difference.

"Not a fan" doesn't begin to capture how I feel about Instacart right now.

There's those issues people have been having, plus DH likes the pick up options for eliminating the middle man delivery people for handling our stuff. At the local stores the items go right from bags kept in the freezer or refrigerated sections to our car trunk. We have several more store options to try that have curbside pickup. We're just trying to find the best mix of distance / prices / selection in stock.

The last time we tried to use Instacart, their first pick up slot was several days out. On the day our order was to be shopped, they cancelled a few minutes before we were supposed to pick it up. And afterwards sent me an email that actually said, "please let us know if there is anything else we can do for you."

Now DW decided she likes having someone else shopping for her! But that tells me the quality of service has been very good!!

We may soon return to the days of the local general store like the one my grandparents had. People would drop off an order (today we would use the internet) in the morning. My mother or one of my uncles would pick out the items, box them up, put it on the back of his bicycle and pedal it over to the customer in the afternoon.

Interestingly, there were no laws against a minor delivering 'adult beverages' or, if there were, my grandmother just ignored them. A good Italian-American she also sold bootlegged wine made in the family cellar during prohibition. But, that's another story.

Actually my point was that Sams in store pick is a mess at my Sams as it it is at the other posters Sams. Yet Walmart does better with a more difficult system and they are owned by the same ownership, maybe Walmart management needs to teach Sams management how to do it.

OK, got ya! When you said "Walmart gets curbside so right and Sam's get it so wrong," I thought you were implying that Sam's did curbside. I wish they did.

As I said in an earlier post, my single experience with Sam's in-store pickup was OK. But, OTOH, that was three weeks ago and I've managed to resist the temptation to do it again. :LOL:

I'm trying my first Walmart curbside pickup Tuesday. I build a "cart" already and even edited it twice as DW thought of things. Yes, the web site does seem to work well.

I've been using Amazon Fresh home delivery and it works great. It's just a little pricey. (No gouging, but everything seems to be at or near full list price.)

As the weeks have gone by, I'm getting more accepting of the danger of going inside Sam's (or any store) and am considering a second try at in-store pickup or perhaps even shop real time. A feature of Sam's APP is scanning a product's bar code with your phone while shopping and then leaving the store without going through any check-out. I'd like to try that as it seems like a good way to avoid some of the possibilities of being too close to others.

Last edited:
We may soon return to the days of the local general store like the one my grandparents had. People would drop off an order (today we would use the internet) in the morning. My mother or one of my uncles would pick out the items, box them up, put it on the back of his bicycle and pedal it over to the customer in the afternoon.

Interestingly, there were no laws against a minor delivering 'adult beverages' or, if there were, my grandmother just ignored them. A good Italian-American she also sold bootlegged wine made in the family cellar during prohibition. But, that's another story.

When I was growing up, my mom (who didn't drive) got grocery deliveries from the local butcher (who also sold groceries).

I use the SAM's app and scan-n-go. However, we just placed an order for pick up on Sunday to give that a try. The reason I'm adverse to shopping inside SAM's is that it's located in another county that has MUCH higher rates of virus than the one I live in. I'd rather just stay local, but local stores never have what I want or need, depending on when I get there. This way, I only make one trip to the store, not several hoping to get items that weren't there prior. If it doesn't work out that way, then I'll have learned.

I got to Target at 9:00 AM while the grocery stockers were working this morning and I scored some bread flour! The stocker had only 10 each of 5 lb pkgs of King Arthur brand regular flour and bread flour on her cart, and the flour shelves were completely empty except for some gluten free, so I don't think those will last long.

They also had everything else on my list except for Arborio rice, which I didn't really expect to find at Target. I might try one of the independent neighborhood markets in Little Italy if I have a short list next week.

Target was not very busy, no line to enter. I passed a big stack of paper towels but didn't look for any other paper products. Most of the people in the checkout lines were buying kiddie pools, folding chairs and water toys since we're having summer weather this week.

I've been doing online shopping & picking up groceries at our favorite local chain for the past 4 years. When all hell recently broke lose, you simply couldn't get a time scheduled - they were overwhelmed. Now, we can get next day pick up, which is just about where it was before all this began. That's a huge relief.

Aldi continues to be an option, especially since they are opening early on T & Th for us oldsters. They're pretty well stocked, and actually have TP sometimes, and paper towels almost all the time. They still limit eggs (.68) to two dozen per customer.

I popped into Costco yesterday afternoon. A friend works there and says the T, W & Th early shopping for oldsters is a crazy $hit show, and suggests coming in the early afternoon, which seems to have been good advice. I only had to wait a few minutes to get in, and they were well stocked with meat, cooked chickens, and just about everything else, except toilet paper - none to be seen.

I feel like things are better for now, that is until it all hits the fan again. I'm certainly not hoarding, but do have a few extras of things, just in case, with Dark Chocolate Sea Salt Caramels being at the top of that list. ;)

I used to love grocery shopping. That was before the covid times with the "fill your trunk" list. I'd go every other day (get 2 meals) and have big fun. This is more like work and it sucks. Still no paper, sanitizer or wipes.

Robbie,
I always enjoyed the process of grocery shopping too. I find it relaxing. Especially if you go during the less crowded time of the day, like when everyone is at work.

Now, not so much. Everyone is so stressed, and I think depressed. Certainly unfriendly. Smiles and friendliness are not allowed, and if they were, you could not tell through all of the masks anyway. It is awful.

Hopefully sometime in the future it will get a little more back to what used to be normal around here, but I don't see that happening any time soon.

Take care, JP

I found the worker bees to be friendly and unstressed yesterday at the grocery store. But it does vary from day to day. The customers can be stressed out and fearful some days, and some days laid back. Or maybe it's just me projecting my mood onto them, ha ha.

I disliked shopping before (too crowded, never could find what I needed, etc). Now I absolutely hate shopping. We are only shopping every 2 weeks--and we are doing pick up--but I dread it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom