Grocery Shopping

Status
Not open for further replies.
I made a grocery run this morning and found it less crowded than usual for a Friday morning -- I actually think there were more employees present than customers. Prior to this, I have been going at the earlier "senior hour" but decided to see what normal people deal with.

This is really a major change for me. I've typically hit the Kroger at least four times a week, but since this situation started I'm keeping it to about once every ten days.

I noticed some empty spaces this morning. Not too much in the sausage section, and when I went to get some aspirin I found all the generic stuff was gone, so only the Bayer branded aspirin, which is ridiculously overpriced.

Fortunately, all the employees and most of the customers have managed to stay sane, and it's still possible to joke with them. Being an old fart and considered vulnerable, I always wear a mask when I go in a store, but it seems only about half the customers do that now. It will be required starting next week in my state, but no enforcement except that businesses will be allowed to refuse service to unmasked customers.

Raleigh, NC

Went to Lidl and Publix this morning. A little bit busier than expected but not too bad.

When I last shopped at Lidl, all employees were wearing masks. Only a few wearing them today. WTH!!! Plus they were wiped out in many sections. Plenty of beef, chicken and pork but low on canned vegetables, milk, frozen vegetables, ice cream, lunch meat, paper products. They did have some 1ply TP but my family doesn't like that. First time they had any TP in months.

Publix was also low in many sections but did have some 2 ply TP.

Appears both stores were low on stock more than usual.

Many people were not wearing masks, way more than the last few times I went shopping. Are people starting to get tired of wearing masks:confused:?

Went to the 7-11 at the gas station for a water bottle.
Probably 90% didn't have masks. Shocking......

DW has been picking a Tuesday AM slot at Walmart curbside one week in advance. I'm impressed by this update to the web and mobile app (old app choice was limited to a few days). Having a list open all week on the app has been a positive thing in our lives!

We got a Boston Butt that I smoked and we got baby back ribs that I also smoked and boy did we enjoy eating that! But it was a few weeks ago. The last few of our weekly orders, limited pork. None of our cuts were available, so went with other meat. Whole frozen turkey breast in the crock pot with Lipton onion soup mix was super easy and a tasty "win".

Raleigh, NC

Went to Lidl and Publix this morning. A little bit busier than expected but not too bad.

When I last shopped at Lidl, all employees were wearing masks. Only a few wearing them today. WTH!!! Plus they were wiped out in many sections. Plenty of beef, chicken and pork but low on canned vegetables, milk, frozen vegetables, ice cream, lunch meat, paper products. They did have some 1ply TP but my family doesn't like that. First time they had any TP in months.

Publix was also low in many sections but did have some 2 ply TP.

Appears both stores were low on stock more than usual.

Many people were not wearing masks, way more than the last few times I went shopping. Are people starting to get tired of wearing masks:confused:?

What is the policy for masks in your area? Are there allowed exceptions? In Ohio, employers are required to provide masks to the employees. If the store runs out temporarily, that could account for something like what you saw. Also, some employees report getting headaches and feeling ill near the end of a long shift. Ohio has many exceptions, some industry-specific, but in any industry, if wearing a mask makes someone ill, they can't be forced to wear one. I'm not saying that's the case with your grocery store employees. Why don't you ask about it? Nicely, of course. :cool: In our area, I've seen the opposite, with more customers wearing masks each week. But we're still early in that stage and we have a little snow on the ground today. I expect customers to start rebelling against mask wearing (at stores that don't mandate it) when it gets hot and humid here.

A second-hand anecdote from a friend regarding meat availability: She and her sister shop at 2 different Giant Eagle stores. My friend's Giant Eagle had chicken and most meats. Her sister's Giant Eagle had no meat at all.

DW has been picking a Tuesday AM slot at Walmart curbside one week in advance. I'm impressed by this update to the web and mobile app (old app choice was limited to a few days). Having a list open all week on the app has been a positive thing in our lives!

We got a Boston Butt that I smoked and we got baby back ribs that I also smoked and boy did we enjoy eating that! But it was a few weeks ago. The last few of our weekly orders, limited pork. None of our cuts were available, so went with other meat. Whole frozen turkey breast in the crock pot with Lipton onion soup mix was super easy and a tasty "win".

That's how I do turkey breast too, but I add some cheap bottled oil type salad dressing, the oil helps keep it moist and the rest adds a little more flavor..about 1/2 cup per 4 pounds of turkey.

That's how I do turkey breast too, but I add some cheap bottled oil type salad dressing, the oil helps keep it moist and the rest adds a little more flavor..about 1/2 cup per 4 pounds of turkey.

This sounds crazy, as I was skeptical of the results, but delicious. Try sauteing a whole sweet onion sliced up in a skillet, after carmelized, throw in some sliced turkey breast, then add some apple cider vinegar. Cook til reduced, plate up and add some grated Parmesan cheese. One of my favorites!:dance:

What is the policy for masks in your area? Are there allowed exceptions? In Ohio, employers are required to provide masks to the employees. If the store runs out temporarily, that could account for something like what you saw. Also, some employees report getting headaches and feeling ill near the end of a long shift. Ohio has many exceptions, some industry-specific, but in any industry, if wearing a mask makes someone ill, they can't be forced to wear one. I'm not saying that's the case with your grocery store employees. Why don't you ask about it? Nicely, of course. :cool: In our area, I've seen the opposite, with more customers wearing masks each week. But we're still early in that stage and we have a little snow on the ground today. I expect customers to start rebelling against mask wearing (at stores that don't mandate it) when it gets hot and humid here.

A second-hand anecdote from a friend regarding meat availability: She and her sister shop at 2 different Giant Eagle stores. My friend's Giant Eagle had chicken and most meats. Her sister's Giant Eagle had no meat at all.
Masks are highly recommended but not required. I did think that maybe they ran out of masks but I did not ask anyone. I will next time if it hasn't changed.

Very odd that a lot of customers were not wearing them this time.

Masks are still not required to be worn by customers at grocery stores in Orange County. But individual stores are making their own decisions as to whether to make them a requirement. So Costco and Ralphs require them, but Trader Joe’s does not.

It seems odd to me that we have required each individual business to make this decision for their customers.

It seems odd to me that we have required each individual business to make this decision for their customers.

Makes since to me. Government is leaving it up to the individual merchant. IMO, that is what should happen. Government should educate to the max extent possible, not legislate. The individual will make up their mind where they want to shop. Price, safety, convenience etc. all play a part. For me, at my age, I shopping where everyone is required to wear a mask. A store makes it's choice based on it's ability to attract customers.

Makes since to me. Government is leaving it up to the individual merchant. IMO, that is what should happen. Government should educate to the max extent possible, not legislate. The individual will make up their mind where they want to shop. Price, safety, convenience etc. all play a part. For me, at my age, I shopping where everyone is required to wear a mask. A store makes it's choice based on it's ability to attract customers.

So the workers at Trader Joe’s get to face an increased risk of catching the virus and possibly dying from it because their manager decided that masks were not that important while Costco employees get the extra protection of requiring every customer and employee to wear a mask.

Trader Joe's also offers neither curbside pickup nor delivery. I was a big fan of TJ's and shopped there once or twice a week for the last decade or so, but I haven't been since late February and am getting less and less interested in going back.

Trader Joe's also offers neither curbside pickup nor delivery. I was a big fan of TJ's and shopped there once or twice a week for the last decade or so, but I haven't been since late February and am getting less and less interested in going back.

I tend to agree. I wrote them a letter asking why masks were not mandatory but they never responded. So I’m buying everything at Costco now.

What is everyone's opinion on avoiding Costco and Whole Foods and other stores that draw people in from a larger geographical area?

Right now, I think going to a place that serves a smaller area of households might be a better idea. For instance, there are many Kroger grocery stores around me, so I go to the closest one. There is no point in me traveling even 3 miles away to another grocery store. I feel that all folks further than 2 miles from the Kroger that I shop at probably go get groceries some place else. And that is a plus in my book.

Of course, if my neighborhood was a hot spot, then I would not be going to my local Kroger. But it is not a hot spot anymore.

What do you think?

What is everyone's opinion on avoiding Costco and Whole Foods and other stores that draw people in from a larger geographical area?

Right now, I think going to a place that serves a smaller area of households might be a better idea. For instance, there are many Kroger grocery stores around me, so I go to the closest one. There is no point in me traveling even 3 miles away to another grocery store. I feel that all folks further than 2 miles from the Kroger that I shop at probably go get groceries some place else. And that is a plus in my book.

Of course, if my neighborhood was a hot spot, then I would not be going to my local Kroger. But it is not a hot spot anymore.

What do you think?

Irrelevant for me. The only criterion I care about is how much social distancing I observe inside the store. I try to go at times when a store is least crowded, and watch how people behave while there.

Irrelevant for me. The only criterion I care about is how much social distancing I observe inside the store. I try to go at times when a store is least crowded, and watch how people behave while there.
I think if you found out that 40 people got infected at your local store, then that would be something that might change your shopping habits.

Or maybe if you found out that 30 people added to your county's list of infected shopped at your local store.

I think if you found out that 40 people got infected at your local store, then that would be something that might change your shopping habits.

Or maybe if you found out that 30 people added to your county's list of infected shopped at your local store.

Perhaps, but what has that to do with your original question?
Maybe I didn't understand it.

So the workers at Trader Joe’s get to face an increased risk of catching the virus and possibly dying from it because their manager decided that masks were not that important while Costco employees get the extra protection of requiring every customer and employee to wear a mask.
I guess it depends on where you are at. The most northern Trader Joe's in the Austin area requires a mask in the store (I suspect the other Trader Joe's around Austin do too). I tried to go there today around 10:30am. A big waste of time. They are still implementing capacity limits in that store, so a line of at least 40 people stretched past several other stores on the sidewalk in the retail area waiting to get into the store.

Last edited:
I cannot believe how well the Sam's Club 'free shipping for Plus members' has worked out for me.

Since this started, Sam's has shipped me walnuts, dried fruit, honey, OTC meds, tomato paste, TOILET PAPER and YEAST! Still have a few items on the way -- Oreos, wet wipes, and coconut milk.

Since March, I've been to the store about once a month. Last weekend, got a 15-lb brisket which DH smoked yesterday. We also bought frozen fish and fresh produce. They were limiting a lot of items (like rotisserie chicken) to 1/member.

Note on the TP and yeast: they're mostly out, but I checked often. Once it was available for purchase, I pressed 'buy' immediately. It took about 10 days to arrive.

Last edited:
Also, the Kroger curbside pickup has been wonderful, especially when the middle-aged staff (who can tell good lettuce from bad) are picking out my order. The young guys are generally a bit more erratic :LOL:

Last time, I had to in to the store for a prescription, so I chose a few items that weren't in my pickup order and bought them first. Then I called to say I was here for my order. (Would have done it in the opposite order, but there was ice cream in the pickup.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom