Grocery Shopping

Status
Not open for further replies.
I grocery shop once or twice each week for my family and for my elderly parents. I wear a mask and avoid coming near anyone else...as best I can! It seems to be the younger employees who dart around people with regards about personal distancing. I sanitize with Purel when I get back to the car and then wash with soap and water when I get home. It’s amazing how bare the aisles have become. No TP still, meat is very limited. Other items like rice, dry pasta, etc always in short supply. We need a vaccine soon.

As I noted in another thread, I still prefer our local Kroger to going to something like Costco because the zip codes around the local Kroger have no new reported diagnosed cases of Covid-19 while the nearest Costco has to draw people in from many area zip codes across 3 counties where new infections are still being reported and increasing. The local Kroger has all the now standard distancing rules and props, sells masks right at the entrance, and provides a disinfected cart as you walk in. Fully stocked with nothing missing either plus a full pharmacy / drugstore. The Kroger also provides online ordering and curbside pickup, but going inside is painless.

My wife shopped for the first time yesterday evening as I had been doing all the shopping since March. I was able to text her everything that I needed in real time and it showed up within 30 minutes. LOL!

Listening to the evening news, NBC with Lester Holt, you would think that both food, especially meat are both in short supply AND prices going to the moon. I see nothing like that.
NBC, [mod edit] I don't see anything like that in the stores in this area either. Most of the meat departments seem to "almost" overstocked and no limits in the past few weeks.

I feel sorry for those who actually believe news casters are telling the truth let alone the whole story. Outright lies compared to what I've seen in the stores.
I don't know these are outright lies since there is usually some elements of truth, even from NBC. However they can really spin it.

Last edited by a moderator:
NBC, [mod edit]. I don't see anything like that in the stores in this area either. Most of the meat departments seem to "almost" overstocked and no limits in the past few weeks.
If you have friends in New York City where many of the news organizations have headquarters and where the anchors often live, then they would confirm what the news is saying. I have a friend who lives in upper Manhattan and it is still difficult to get toilet paper and other things.

We are fortunate that there is some semblance of normalcy+masks where we live.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you have friends in New York City where many of the news organizations have headquarters and where the anchors often live, then they would confirm what the news is saying. I have a friend who lives in upper Manhattan and it is still difficult to get toilet paper and other things.

We are fortunate that there is some semblance of normalcy+masks where we live.
As I said, even NBC has elements of truth sometimes. As I also said, in "this (my) area" we are not having any shortages... A few weeks ago the stores looked a bit thin on some things but that's not the case now.

LOL, you may have set upon an answer. New York may not be representative of the rest of the country, yet it is what the national press sees. In fact post on this forum would seem to confirm this. The problem with their supply chain does not seem to be indicative of the country as a whole, albeit it may be representative of similar northeast metroplexes.

garyt said:
That's what I plan to do. I'll wipe down all the refrigerated items as best as possible. The non perishable stuff will sit in the basement for a few days. If I need something before then it will get wiped down. Nothing's perfect but you can try.

FWIW, anything non-perishable stays on my Four Day Table (3days + 1 more as an extra precaution) in the garage. Fruit gets washed in warm soapy water, rinsed and dried off before going into the fridge. If the perishable is in a sealed package (like a package of ground meat) I wipe it with a disinfectant cloth, let it sit a few minutes, then clean it with a damp paper towel and into the fridge or freezer it goes. The only exceptions are produce/meat that I am going to cook immediately.

There is no point in being obsessive about this. Unless we find a vaccine in the next few months, it is likely that most of us will get infected at some point in time. I try to delay it figuring that the treatments and outcomes will be better months from now than today. We can run, but we can't hide forever.

Soap and heat are deadly to the coronovirus.

Wow, that's still really cheap! I've not seen a gallon of milk for less than $2.80 anywhere in the year I've lived here. Including BJs.

. A gallon of milk went from $1.29 to $1.89. That's a big jump in one go.

Wow, that's still really cheap! I've not seen a gallon of milk for less than $2.80 anywhere in the year I've lived here. Including BJs.

To top that off, they were selling half gallons of milk for 50 cents! I don't know why. They were dated the same as the gallons. I had to pass on that because I had enough milk already.

As I said, even NBC has elements of truth sometimes. As I also said, in "this (my) area" we are not having any shortages... A few weeks ago the stores looked a bit thin on some things but that's not the case now.

No worries. Around here the police are having to do some alligator rustling which will probably make the national news. That means all the folks in Manhattan think we live in a very dangerous place what with all the alligators, copperheads, water moccasins, rattlesnakes, feral hogs, and the minor hazards like rifle-toting militias.

FWIW, anything non-perishable stays on my Four Day Table (3days + 1 more as an extra precaution) in the garage.
Thanks for this info! I have been keeping my non-perishables (mostly from Amazon Prime) on a certain isolated countertop in my kitchen, for 11 days before I put them away. Seems like a long time sometimes. I think 4 sounds a lot better.

There is no point in being obsessive about this. Unless we find a vaccine in the next few months, it is likely that most of us will get infected at some point in time. I try to delay it figuring that the treatments and outcomes will be better months from now than today. We can run, but we can't hide forever.
Such joyful thoughts. :LOL: Oh well. I am beginning to think that most of us will get through this and continue on.

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 231
No worries. Around here the police are having to do some alligator rustling which will probably make the national news. That means all the folks in Manhattan think we live in a very dangerous place what with all the alligators, copperheads, water moccasins, rattlesnakes, feral hogs, and the minor hazards like rifle-toting militias.
Now that's the kind of national news I can live with, exaggerated or not. Whatever keeps them away from here.....

Thanks for this info! I have been keeping my non-perishables (mostly from Amazon Prime) on a certain isolated countertop in my kitchen, for 11 days before I put them away. Seems like a long time sometimes. I think 4 sounds a lot better.
The research I saw said that on plastic the virus remained viable 3 days, everything else was shorter duration. I'm ok with just leaving the 'pantry stuff' in the garage until the night before the next grocery run (which will be at least a week), but DW has been jumping on getting it all put away 72.1 hours after the store run :cool:

Reactions: W2R
ok, it was a bit off topic.

NBC, [mod edit] I don't see anything like that in the stores in this area either. Most of the meat departments seem to "almost" overstocked and no limits in the past few weeks.

I don't know these are outright lies since there is usually some elements of truth...

In S. Fla there is a lot more empty space in most meat sections, and signs for limits. Costco and Publix in my area.

Haven't yet seen toilet paper in the wild since March.

I'm sure every area of the country differs depending on supply chains.

That seems to be the case. Boneless skinless chicken breasts are on sale this week for $1.89 lb. and the last time I was in the store I saw no shortage of meats.

TP, OTOH, is as scarce as a COLA'd pension.

In S. Fla there is a lot more empty space in most meat sections, and signs for limits. Costco and Publix in my area.

Haven't yet seen toilet paper in the wild since March.

It is odd that in some areas of the country there seems to be "on-going meat shortages" while in other areas there's not. I mean the TP shortage affected everyone for a good while. The meat supplies/shortage seem to be more localized from what I can tell. Seems like more of a distribution problem than shortage to me.

Last edited:
It is odd that in some areas of the country there seems to be "on-going meat shortages" while in other areas there's not. I mean the TP shortage affected everyone for a good while. The meat supplies/shortage seem to be more localized from what I can tell. Seems like more of a distribution problem than shortage to me.

Maybe the meat shortage is more pronounced in areas where meat plants have been shut down. The 2 big meat factories in our area (one for pork and one for chicken) have been shut down because of so many cases of the virus among the employees.

Yes, I wait about 4 minutes to put anything I get from Amazon away.
Likewise, when I get back from Costco or the grocery store everything gets put away immediately.

The toilet paper situation is very strange where I am. The supermarket near me has had TP for at least the past three weeks. When they first got it back, it was just off brands. When I was there last week, they were fully stocked with name brands like Charmin. But the drugstore just a block away still doesn't have any at all.

Seems like there one of the things we’re finding in short supply are the nut based “milks”. They did put the almond milk on sale though so that may be a good sign.

Just a FYI, if you have a good blender, making Almond Milk is extremely easy. Just buy unsalted almonds, e.g. these from Sams Club: https://www.samsclub.com/p/mm-almonds-3-lbs/prod22160276 or from Walgreens etc: https://www.walgreens.com/store/c/blue-diamond-almonds-whole-natural/ID=prod2124184-product

Soak almonds overnight, then add: water, salt (i skip this which is why I buy the unsalted), vanilla, some sort of sweetener if desired (dates, sugar, I use pure Stevia). Blend. Strain (or not, sometimes I drink it with the husks). Chill and you are done.

The leftover almond pulp tastes good on its own, or use it to make almond meal, or cookies. I typically use it in a protein shake.

Cheap. Fresh, and you have complete control of what you are eating/drinking.

p.s. Almonds have a decent shelf life (up to a couple years), so a good choice as a backup for store bought "milk".

ETA: Link to a recipe: https://detoxinista.com/how-to-make-homemade-almond-milk/ (There are tons of recipe's out there - I am more of a "I don't need a stinking recipe" kind of person.)

Last edited:
To top that off, they were selling half gallons of milk for 50 cents! I don't know why. They were dated the same as the gallons.

Once upon a time, I found great sale -- b/s chicken breasts for $0.99/lb or something like that. I asked the meat manager why the price was so low. He said that they had ordered 3 cases, but the warehouse had sent 13 cases.

I wonder if your store had something similar going on.

The research I saw said that on plastic the virus remained viable 3 days, everything else was shorter duration. I'm ok with just leaving the 'pantry stuff' in the garage until the night before the next grocery run (which will be at least a week), but DW has been jumping on getting it all put away 72.1 hours after the store run :cool:

I leave stuff in a box in the house for 5 days minimum, sometimes I let it go to 7 days. Since we don't need it right away, no harm in being extra safe.

Regional thing, with variables like unionized workers, non-unionized, state laws regarding unemployment insurance and whether you will be cut off if you refuse to return to work, workers afraid of the virus and not willing to return, etc, etc. Unemployed workers making more money to stay home and get state UI plus fed UI ($600 per week on top of state UI is possible depending on state ). Plus I suppose some processing plants are shut down and not even allowing workers to work, fearing lawsuits from workers. Ugh....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom