Grocery Shopping

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since I assume there is a good chance of another empty the shelves panic as cases pick up, I did an epic Costco run and a grocery pickup at the start of the week. Should be good for a while except for laundry and dishwasher detergent.

We haven't been to Costco since March, as we have been doing curbside pick up from Kroger. Getting low on some paper products and Since they require masks, we thought we'd give it a try. I have had trouble getting curbside paper products at Kroger, and have been ordering from Amazon.
Went late, about 7. Not very crowded, but NO paper products, except a few cases of kleenex. No clorox wipes and very limited cleaning stuff--a few gallons of bleach which I don't need.
Bought some steak and hamburger and a bunch of staples to restock the pantry--dried beans, rice, etc. Spent $650--Yikes! Haven't had that high of a Costco run in several years!!

We haven't been to Costco since March, as we have been doing curbside pick up from Kroger. Getting low on some paper products and Since they require masks, we thought we'd give it a try. I have had trouble getting curbside paper products at Kroger, and have been ordering from Amazon.
Went late, about 7. Not very crowded, but NO paper products, except a few cases of kleenex. No clorox wipes and very limited cleaning stuff--a few gallons of bleach which I don't need.
Bought some steak and hamburger and a bunch of staples to restock the pantry--dried beans, rice, etc. Spent $650--Yikes! Haven't had that high of a Costco run in several years!!

My tab was almost 1200, but it included 210 pounds of dog food.

We have been doing Walmart curbside for months.
I finally went to Costco, filled the car with gas (after 3 months use).
Shopped for a bunch of stuff that we like at Costco: mixed nuts, rotisserie chicken, beef, pork loin chops, one pack of TP. etc..
In Total I spent $358 in groceries, which for me is a record !!
Now that I see what others spent, I should have bought more.

The store itself has lots of TP, was not crowded, but it was the day prior to when the specials start. The meat section was low, but they had lots of variety, and even a special of $4.00 whole pork loins.
The pork loin was $2.99 (I remember it being $1.99 before all this).
Even the bakery section was low, I guess folks are not buying many sheet cakes for big parties.

Problem with shopping for Groceries at Walmart is that Credit card companies do not classify it as a grocery store. We get 3% cashback at all others but nada at Walmart.

Problem with shopping for Groceries at Walmart is that Credit card companies do not classify it as a grocery store. We get 3% cashback at all others but nada at Walmart.

For my BOA rewards card, I get the same rewards % as BJ's, which is 3.5%.
The only difference is that Walmart is classified as a grocery purchase vs. a warehouse purchase for BJ's.

Went to Walmart today. Got there at 6:50am. 2nd in line.
There were 8 canisters of Clorox/Lysol and 4 cans of Lysol disinfectant spray. Took one of each. It was all gone 10 minutes later.
Still can't find Tuna in oil anywhere. Seems odd.

I recommend the tuna packed with no oil and no water. The Wild Planet brand is like that - the only liquid in the can is the fish juices. Much yummier.

I recommend the tuna packed with no oil and no water. The Wild Planet brand is like that - the only liquid in the can is the fish juices. Much yummier.

Sounds yummy. I will see if I can find it. I know you are a Costco gal, but we are BJ's besides the regular grocery stores.

We have been only going to Costco’s because they require masks. We went to the business Costco in Hayward, California this morning and found everything we needed. They supply restaurants so bought 50lbs pinto beans, 25lbs black beans, and 4 box’s of gallon size iced tea bags. We got the 5 pack of Lysol wipes which we haven’t seen since February. We’ll be spending the rest of the summer in the Sierras so wanted to stock up. $350
All the shelves in the store were packed to capacity.

Since I assume there is a good chance of another empty the shelves panic as cases pick up, I did an epic Costco run and a grocery pickup at the start of the week. Should be good for a while except for laundry and dishwasher detergent.

Actually it might make sense in this case to buy some emergency food supplies that have long shelf life. This would also handle the case of a major regional disaster, such as earthquake, or hurricane or major regional power failure such as happened a few years ago, depending on where you live. Many of these supplies are freeze dried and have up to 25 year shelf lives.

Samsclub and Amazon as well as Costco have such products. This provides a long life food reserve.

Went to the grocery this morning. Scored the first container of bleach wipes I've see since early March. Everything else is almost back to normal stock levels.

People are still universally using masks and following the social distancing guidelines in the store. We took a terrible beating up here from this virus (so far, 667 cases and 84 deaths in my town alone), but it finally seems to be under control. No one wants to go back to the dark days of April.

Went to the grocery this morning. Scored the first container of bleach wipes I've see since early March. ut it finally seems to be under control.

Same here and mine was a shrink wrapped bundle of 3.[emoji847]

Last edited:
Actually it might make sense in this case to buy some emergency food supplies that have long shelf life. This would also handle the case of a major regional disaster, such as earthquake, or hurricane or major regional power failure such as happened a few years ago, depending on where you live. Many of these supplies are freeze dried and have up to 25 year shelf lives.

Samsclub and Amazon as well as Costco have such products. This provides a long life food reserve.

Since I won't be going any where during a giant emergency, I'm just buying extra canned goods, pasta, rice of what we use.
In theory I could buy a years worth of cans, pasta, rice, and then simply rotate the stock.
It will taste better than freeze dried food (as I recall), and no extra expense.

Sounds yummy. I will see if I can find it. I know you are a Costco gal, but we are BJ's besides the regular grocery stores.

Yeah, Costco often has it, but our local Walmart carries it, and I often see it in other grocery stores. It’s pricier, but noticeably tastier IMO. The albacore tuna is what I usually get, and I just stir the juices back into to the tuna salad or whatever I am making.

I first got turned onto to canned tuna with nothing added but salt when we bought locally produced canned tuna from a small fish shop in Trinidad CA. We tried to order from them later, but their shipping charges were always out of sight. Fortunately we eventually found alternatives.

Tuesday @ 8pm there's a show on CNBC re: 'SUPER MARKET SHOCK : CRISIS.' we still aren't experiencing it here but it'll be interesting to see what areas have popped up as food deserts. We had a TP shortage initially but even that's over (fwiw I've never used chlorine wipes / just soap & water)

Last edited:
Baking brownies with dehydrated powdered eggs from the #10 size can we purchased in 2010, which must have been the year I started paying more attention to emergency pantry supplies :)
Eggs were labeled for ten years, we opened in early March when we could NOT find fresh eggs here and we plan to use the entire can before August 2020.
I will replace this can with another soon as it was comforting to have a back up when there was nothing on the shelf.
We may replace our chicken this fall, not sure.

Tuesday @ 8pm there's a show on CNBC re: 'SUPER MARKET SHOCK : CRISIS.' we still aren't experiencing it here but it'll be interesting to see what areas have popped up as food deserts. We had a TP shortage initially but even that's over (fwiw I've never used chlorine wipes / just soap & water)

WOW! I am shocked the media would promote something like this. NOT.

WOW! I am shocked the media would promote something like this. NOT.

like what? it sounds like an interesting program, a documentary of the recent issues, throughout the supply chain:

"an inside look at how COVID-19 rocked the nation’s food supply system, and how its many players—from farmers and manufacturers to wholesalers and grocers—scrambled to help it recover"

Way ahead of you.

like what? it sounds like an interesting program, a documentary of the recent issues, throughout the supply chain:

"an inside look at how COVID-19 rocked the nation’s food supply system, and how its many players—from farmers and manufacturers to wholesalers and grocers—scrambled to help it recover"

CNBC re: 'SUPER MARKET SHOCK : CRISIS.

Maybe I am the only one seeing this as a "little" over the top shock promoting.

Not that all the networks don't do that every day, I am just tired of the word CRISIS being used for things that are not a crisis.

JMHO.

Maybe I am the only one seeing this as a "little" over the top shock promoting.

Not that all the networks don't do that every day, I am just tired of the word CRISIS being used for things that are not a crisis.

JMHO.

If you cannot feed your kids it is a crisis.

We got a few emails lately from Sam's Club promoting their new curb side pick up service, so we thought we'd give them one more try. I made the online order and received an email saying to go to the pick up spot and use their app or text to have our order brought out. We went to the parking spots clearly marked curbside pickup, used the app to let them know we arrived, entered our spot number and received a message saying they would be right out. They never showed up and didn't answer the phone when I called.

I had to go in the store and was told by the employees in the store that they weren't using the app and that to pick up groceries I had to stand in the long line at the customer service desk just like always. Another customer came in after me and said he had been waiting in his car in the parking lot for an hour for his pick up order which never showed up either. So there are signs in the parking lot for curbside pickup that direct customers to use the Sam's app to let the employees know you are there and which parking spot you are in, and the app sends back a message your order will be right out, but in reality the data from the app goes nowhere and my local Sam's store employees said they don't use the app on their end.

I guess this goes under fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me lessons.

Last edited:
Absolutely Crazy how Sam's Club fudges it up so badly.
Yet at Walmart it is a well oil efficient operation, just now I ordered for tomorrow curbside, could have picked any slot (7am onwards....) so I picked 1pm.

Amazon carries the wild planet tuna for the same price as Costco. I agree, it’s much better than the alternatives.

Our grocery stores are pretty fully stocked, with the exception of Clorox wipes. Paper products are all fully stocked at Costco and the like.

Beef prices have gone way up though and chicken has been spotty. Costco hasn’t had bone in thighs for the last couple of months, though now they have the rest of the chicken, which is odd to me. They’re also only carrying organic now, so it’s significantly more expensive. Pork prices also higher, though not as steep an increase as beef.

We still have quantity limits on many items.

I’ve been very impressed with Costco overall. The majority of prices haven’t budged. The things that have gone up usually have a sign describing why. The store protocols are much better than other stores. They’ve responded very well. The only negative is that they’re cutting way back on grocery sale items. Things that they usually have on sale are not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom