Grocery Shopping

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brave. I was never willing to drink the stuff after setting my throat on fire with Bacardi 151.

My first and last experience with Bacardi 151 was September 1977 in Hanna Wyoming. I had just finished up my co op stint, and the guys took me out for pizza and beer. They poured some shots of 151, someone waved a cigarette over the row of them, they all ignited. Then everyone grabbed one , blew it out, and downed it. Having never witnessed or done anything like that before, by the time I saw what to do, it was a little hotter than everyone else's, and it really, really burned going down. Never did it again.:nonono:

First, I do not go during "Seniors Hour" because they do not start stocking shelves until about 8 AM.
Today was strange as to what they were out of:
Campbell's Consomme
Fairlife Nonfat milk
Strawberries (We grow them locally)
Jimmy Dean meat lovers potatoes

But they had plenty of 16 oz bottles of 70% alcohol sanitizers. I picked up a couple to refill our little 2 oz bottles.

Last edited:
I made two Costco runs and amongst other things bought 24 cases of Kirkland carbonated water (similar to LaCroix). We go through about 2 to 3 cases a week. I realized that's what gets me to go to Costco so often. I'm tempted to go back for more before our covid cases spike higher in the Portland area.

I made two Costco runs and amongst other things bought 24 cases of Kirkland carbonated water (similar to LaCroix). We go through about 2 to 3 cases a week. I realized that's what gets me to go to Costco so often. I'm tempted to go back for more before our covid cases spike higher in the Portland area.

We finally ended up getting a Sodastream.

We finally ended up getting a Sodastream.

Got one for Christmas. Ordered 2 new CO2 canisters yesterday. You ship back the empties.

Apparently there is a shortage of aluminum for cans and plastic bottles are horrible for the environment. It’s a great product, IMO

Yeast is still hard to find. Some of the bulk yeast on Amazon has finally come down to a reasonable price.

For those searching online you may have seen this brand called "saf-instant," sold by the pound. You don't see this brand in the stores, typically.

Last week I ordered it, tried it and it is fine. Works great in a bread machine (red label version of the yeast brand). No problems.

Last edited:
Got one for Christmas. Ordered 2 new CO2 canisters yesterday. You ship back the empties.

Apparently there is a shortage of aluminum for cans and plastic bottles are horrible for the environment. It’s a great product, IMO

It took us a long time, but we finally got one and have been very pleased. Even though I like my Pellegrino.

Is anyone seeing a deterioration in the quantity and quality of fresh vegetables? I'm in the Kansas City area and you'd think that produce would be most plentiful this time of year but some things are just missing from the shelves and some are past their prime. I've gotten into collard greens- couldn't find them last week in 2 stores that usually carry them. I bought a bag of yellow, orange and red peppers form Costco and found a couple of days later that one was so rotted I had to throw it out. Unfortunately I didn't check the date on the bag- threw it in the trash with the rotted pepper in it and it's gone now. The brussels sprouts, also from Costco, needed a bigger portion of fibrous areas trimmed off, so less edible weight for the same price.

I can always find a good assortment of stuff I like but it's gone downhill and I better start looking harder at Costco produce.

I'm in GA. I never was too pleased with COSTCO produce here even before COVID19. Since COVID19, i have only shopped at a Walmart neighborhood market. They have great produce, including quite a lot of organic options. If anything, produce quality has stayed high throughout the pandemic, and quantitties have improved as well. Most produce I buy is from CA, PA, or locally sourced. Perhaps such stores in your area would be as good.

I'm in GA. I never was too pleased with COSTCO produce here even before COVID19. Since COVID19, i have only shopped at a Walmart neighborhood market. They have great produce, including quite a lot of organic options. If anything, produce quality has stayed high throughout the pandemic, and quantitties have improved as well. Most produce I buy is from CA, PA, or locally sourced. Perhaps such stores in your area would be as good.

Thanks- I don't do Wal-Mart of any stripe (don't like their business model/ethics) but I'll muddle through. The local farmer's market, which I pass every day on my bicycle ride will have tomatoes next week. I'm looking forward to that! It's a tiny market and they bring what you want to you while you stay in the car.

Is anyone seeing a deterioration in the quantity and quality of fresh vegetables? I'm in the Kansas City area and you'd think that produce would be most plentiful this time of year but some things are just missing from the shelves and some are past their prime. I've gotten into collard greens- couldn't find them last week in 2 stores that usually carry them. I bought a bag of yellow, orange and red peppers form Costco and found a couple of days later that one was so rotted I had to throw it out. Unfortunately I didn't check the date on the bag- threw it in the trash with the rotted pepper in it and it's gone now. The brussels sprouts, also from Costco, needed a bigger portion of fibrous areas trimmed off, so less edible weight for the same price.

I can always find a good assortment of stuff I like but it's gone downhill and I better start looking harder at Costco produce.

I see you mentioned collards in your post. Great stuff! I have grown and eaten collards for decades and here is an important tip. Collards are best eaten when the plant has been through a frost or two. They are good Fall crops because the cooler/cold weather makes them sweeter. People who don't like collards in many cases have eaten those that have been harvested in hot weather. Hot weather makes them bitter and not fit to eat. Don't even think that putting sugar in the cooking water will help. It doesn't and you will lose the respect of any true southerner. Just like you don't put sugar on grits. Yuck!

Cheers!

Yes and I don't know why..got some beautiful looking bagged salads at Sams and they didn't make it to anywhere near the expiration date...plus the big quantities you need to buy at Sams or Costco magnify the problem.

I used to get all my produce at the local Aldis but it so small you couldn't social distance if you wanted to.

I used to get all my produce at the local Aldis but it so small you couldn't social distance if you wanted to.

I also like to shop at Aldi and it’s one of the things I miss the most.

A couple of the local Aldis are now offering online ordering with curbside pickup. I haven’t tried it yet but I may this week. Our closest store doesn’t offer it yet, I’d have to go across town about 8 miles which sounds like a fun adventure at this point.

Just checked it out, it costs $1.99 to order for pickup. Sounds reasonable to me!

Last edited:
Freebies at Safeway has changed. It's a run on cheese now. This plus boursin cheese (opened that last night). No idea why there's a push to get rid of cheese. We aren't dairy country so that can't be it. Anyone in Wisconsin have an idea? 20200712_150912.jpeg

Freebies at Safeway has changed. It's a run on cheese now. This plus boursin cheese (opened that last night). No idea why there's a push to get rid of cheese. We aren't dairy country so that can't be it. Anyone in Wisconsin have an idea? View attachment 35632
Aldis has been low on cheese for a month in my area, thought there was a surplus of dairy going on, but a shortage of cheese

Collards are best eaten when the plant has been through a frost or two. They are good Fall crops because the cooler/cold weather makes them sweeter. People who don't like collards in many cases have eaten those that have been harvested in hot weather. Hot weather makes them bitter and not fit to eat.

I stir-fry everything- collards usually go in with onions, peppers and whatever other vegetables I've got sitting around and then I sprinkle balsamic vinegar on them. I haven't noticed any too bitter to eat.

The pickings were better at my local grocery yesterday. Won't be back to Costco for awhile since I'm going to be gone over the long weekend. Someone mentioned the mass quantities they sell there, but that hasn't been a problem. If I see something getting limp or with a bad spot starting, I cook it and, if necessary, freeze it. The pepper that rotted did so only 2 or 3 days after I bought it.

My supermarket has stopped returns. They also started requiring you buy whole lots, like 2 for $5, used to mean you can buy 1 for $2.50. Now you need to buy 2 to get the deal.

Brave. I was never willing to drink the stuff after setting my throat on fire with Bacardi 151.

During my younger, stupider days, one of my co-workers (who now also agrees he was young at stupid then as well) introduced me to a drink he called a "harbor light". kahlua, tequila, and 151 rum in a shot glass. Light it, let it burn for a second or two, blow it out and down it as fast as possible. Sometimes folks would not quite blow it out completely, and one would be treated to the sight of flames running down their face while they downed it. Fortunately, I quickly learned that drinking this was a not good thing for one's longevity.

But back to our regularly scheduled topic... I stopped in a grocery store this morning, and in the soft drinks sections saw this sign: "based on the aluminum can shortage, there will be a smaller selection of soft drinks available for a while, we apologize for the inconvenience". I had missed the news of this shortage. Not that it matters much to me - though I still the zero sugar soda as a treat -but I find it interesting.

Chicken leg quarters on sale for 47 cents a pound at Wegmans in Pa, due to close expiration date. I bought a pack and cooked them on my charcoal grill. Marinated them 4 hours first. 80/20 hamburger still $2.99 a pound.

In yet another nexus of alcohol, stupidity, and fire, in my teens I dated a young man with many fine qualities, but whom I gradually realized (even my naivete had its limits) had a drinking problem which, from my POV, canceled out his otherwise high intelligence.

Long before social media, there were fads. This one was to see who could hold one's hand over a candle or lighter flame the longest. We were at a club, where my friend insisted on doing this to himself over everyone's protests, including mine. He had drunk so much that he ended up with a third-degree burn and didn't know it. The next day the entire palm of his hand was one big blister, and he did know it.
I never really felt the same about him after that.

During my younger, stupider days, one of my co-workers (who now also agrees he was young at stupid then as well) introduced me to a drink he called a "harbor light". kahlua, tequila, and 151 rum in a shot glass. Light it, let it burn for a second or two, blow it out and down it as fast as possible. Sometimes folks would not quite blow it out completely, and one would be treated to the sight of flames running down their face while they downed it. Fortunately, I quickly learned that drinking this was a not good thing for one's longevity.

But back to our regularly scheduled topic... I stopped in a grocery store this morning, and in the soft drinks sections saw this sign: "based on the aluminum can shortage, there will be a smaller selection of soft drinks available for a while, we apologize for the inconvenience". I had missed the news of this shortage. Not that it matters much to me - though I still the zero sugar soda as a treat -but I find it interesting.

This is one of my favorite threads.

When someone mentions the prices of certain items I always look for an indication of where the person lives. (I'm in NYC where large, discount grocery shopping doesn't exist, & I've never seen anything close to some of the prices mentioned here!)

Last edited:
Me neither, and I've never lived in a city. But always in HCOL areas.

Those corner groceries in Manhattan are robbers. Don't you go to Jersey to shop? Not that it's what you'd call cheap there.

When someone mentions the prices of certain items I always look for an indication of where the person lives. (I'm in NYC where large, discount grocery shopping doesn't exist, & I've need seen anything close to some of the prices mentioned here!)

When someone mentions the prices of certain items I always look for an indication of where the person lives. (I'm in NYC where large, discount grocery shopping doesn't exist, & I've need seen anything close to some of the prices mentioned here!)
Me too!! Lower out here in SF SF Bay Area

I am sorting through my stockpile to see what needs to be topped off in the next month or so. Mostly seems to be canned goods and oddball medicine stuff like famotidine. Will defrost the big freezer later this week in preparation for hunting season and that will show me if I am missing anything major there. Gotta have room to fill at least one tag, hopefully more.

The squash plants are going into overdrive in the garden. We have kept up so far, but pretty soon we will not. Will share some with neighbors, but I am also planning to dry some like last year, make zucchini relish, and pickle some zucchini.

We were gone to Maine for two weeks and came home to baseball bat sized zucchini; I gave them to the homeless shelter. We currently have a surfeit of cucumbers. The young wife made bread and butter pickles, as well as pickle relish, both of which I canned. She is also making garlic fermented pickles. We just had baked cucumbers for dinner (from Julia Child's cookbook), and we managed to give two cucumbers to our new neighbors. Now we only have 5 of the eight inch long slicing cucumbers in the fridge to deal with. But there are a couple more on the vines that are probably ready for harvest tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom