Guitar consultation

Any alternatives to bar chords, without using a capo, i.e. for your F, Bb, Eb, etc?

There are many ways to play any given chord - here are a few ways to play the afore mentioned chords in the first position. They are all incomplete sounding - but will work in a pinch. really you shoudl bite the bullet and learn to play some barred chords - with time you'll get the hang of it.

I insist, this forum is great. If only there were crime fiction fans, too...

It was a dark and stormy night. Another victim of the rusty guitar string murderer had just been found in the alley behind the only music store in town. Tucked hastily into his blood soaked shirt pocket were some handwritten chord shortcuts of unknown origin and a note....

Attachments

• chords.jpg
    chords.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 3
First post!!! I'll just throw out some food for thought. A good setup is often overlooked and can make a noticeable difference in the way a guitar plays. I've taken a few of my guitars to a guitar shop in town. They build custom guitars that costs thousands of dollars but they also do excellent setups / tuneups whatever you want to call them. I was really amazed at what they did with guitars that I was already pretty pleased with. $75 if I remember correctly.

Janet: thanks for the info. Practicing my barres- in fact for some notes I prefer the barre to the alternative...:)!
BBB: say thank your from me to your husband. You´ve gpt a collection of boots and a musician for a husband ...who can ask for more:D?

First post!!! I'll just throw out some food for thought. A good setup is often overlooked and can make a noticeable difference in the way a guitar plays. I've taken a few of my guitars to a guitar shop in town. They build custom guitars that costs thousands of dollars but they also do excellent setups / tuneups whatever you want to call them. I was really amazed at what they did with guitars that I was already pretty pleased with. $75 if I remember correctly.

I totally agree and have set up work done on my instruments as well. Welcome to the board BTW :)

info from Mr. bbbamI....

There are many alternatives to barre chords. I would suggest picking up a chord dictionary or go here Chord Dictionary

You'll find many different voicing for any chord. Most of the time and depending on the tune or effect you want, voicing only 3-4 notes is plenty particularly if you are playing along with another guitar player, piano, or bass player. If there is a bass player you don't need to play the root notes, the bass player is doing that. You can focus on the color tones (3,5,7,9,11,13). You can leave the 5th out most of the time unless it is altered (b5 or #5). Hope that helps.

Agreed! And for a different diversion for those times when you've run into a stale moment and seem to be making no progress, take a look at alternate tunings. Playing in DADGAD tuning is a nice change. Try some of the tips that you can find in either online instruction or via a DVD. The Homespun series with Artie Traum is a good starting point!

Back
Top Bottom