Has anybody reinvented the can opener?

cbo111

Full time employment: Posting here.
Our old manual can opener is pooping out. While I enjoy the workout it gives my forearms, the time has come to replace. We still have relatively good grip strength and are seeking another non-electric opener; something a bit more "modern." Any suggestions for a new 21st century manual can opener?

The we have is the "OXO® Smooth Edge Can Opener". I works great and the sharp edges are gone.

Our old manual can opener is pooping out. While I enjoy the workout it gives my forearms, the time has come to replace. We still have relatively good grip strength and are seeking another non-electric opener; something a bit more "modern." Any suggestions for a new 21st century manual can opener?

Just bought a second manual can opener after the new one crapped out after 3 months. Bought an OXO to replace the lousy Cuisinart.

thanks, I will check out the oxo models. I looked at openers on Amazon; there is a daunting number of models to choose from. Never realized so many companies were in the can opener business.

300px-P-38_Can_Opener.jpg

Works fine, lasts a long time. Still have one at my camp and use it. Sorry not 21st century.

We changed to one of the OXO ones that uncrimp the lid rather than cut through the top. I will never go back!

I recently saw a battery powered uncrimping one on QVC that you set on the lid and it operates hands free. You can probably find one on Amazon.

I know you said non electric but I got this one at either Macys or JC Penney Thanksgiving sale last year for $8 after rebate. It is electric, the cord can be hidden in the back and I love it but it did take a little figuring out where exactly how to connect the can so it did not fall off. Every Thanskgiving these stores including Kohls all have a ton of kitchen small appliances for $8-$10 after rebate, many times with free shipping as well.
Last year I also got an electric kettle, in previous years a toaster oven, egg cooker, waffle maker to name a few.
https://www.macys.com/shop/product/hamilton-beach-can-opener?ID=10097479&CategoryID=31839

Last edited:
Still using an ancient electric that is stuck "on." So when you plug it in, it starts running. Works just fine, but is kind of irritating.

I think the trick with the manuals is to buy a "good" one (whatever that means.) You almost have to try it before you buy it and not sure how to do that. It seems the issues are a sharp cutter that STAYS sharp and good mechanical advantage of the handle.

My guess is that such a "good" opener might be available through one of the high-priced "gourmet" kitchen tool outfits.

Good luck. I think it's a crap shoot. Let us know if/when you find a good one as YMMV.

We are still using our 50 yr old Swing-A-Way can opener.

Is that what you mean by modern ?

https://www.amazon.com/Swing-A-Way-...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=
We have the OXO version of that style, listed down under "Compare similar products". It works very smoothly and easily, although noneof us has to worry about our grip strength. My mom was a pretty strong woman, at least when I was growing up, but she was small, and I think she got an electric opener because of her small hands. All I know is that when you all started talking about electric openers, this is immediately what I saw in my head, the one she had in the kitchen in the 70s:
il_570xN.446087710_5nkx.jpg

Works fine, lasts a long time. Still have one at my camp and use it. Sorry not 21st century.

Have used these since my USMC days. I have tried several of the smooth cut openers but have never had one last more than a year. After tossing the most recent one, I am back to using a P-38 most of the time (even at home) -- reliable, inexpensive, takes up little space.

When DW was complaining about ours, I went on Amazon and bought the one with thousands of positive reviews. It's one that works by clamping on the lip with a rotating disc (standard technology). Cheap and reliable, but not as simple as the camping opener, which I appreciate for it's simplicity!

The we have is the "OXO® Smooth Edge Can Opener". I works great and the sharp edges are gone.

+1

I also do not miss the sharp edges that snagged cloth, cut skin, and made getting stuff out of the can more difficult than it should be.

We have the OXO Smooth edge one also. Works well, especially if my thumb arthritis is acting up. No sharp edges.

I have the OXO good grips . It is designed for older people . It works great . Very easy to use .

My Oxo is pretty old and it opens cans easily, the normal way. I think the instructions said to just wipe it clean but I wash it with soap and water after each use and it still lasted something like 15-25 years. This is the second kitchen video I made to show that these simple things really are simple.

https://vimeo.com/465450571

Actually, OXO has a more "modern" version. We have had this model for quite some time (6-7 years) and can swear by it.

One of the big advantages (IMHO) is that you can put the lid back on if you only need partial contents -- it is a little fragile that way but I do it all the time.

https://www.amazon.com/OXO-Good-Grips-Smooth-Opener/dp/B000079XW2

Actually, OXO has a more "modern" version. We have had this model for quite some time (6-7 years) and can swear by it.

One of the big advantages (IMHO) is that you can put the lid back on if you only need partial contents -- it is a little fragile that way but I do it all the time.

https://www.amazon.com/OXO-Good-Grips-Smooth-Opener/dp/B000079XW2

Wow, I had no idea we were missing out! I like that you could put the lid back on if you wanted.

I still have a couple of these left after the military. In 2002, I had one taken from me by the TSA when I was going thru security at the airport. Really??:facepalm:

We changed to one of the OXO ones that uncrimp the lid rather than cut through the top. I will never go back!

I recently saw a battery powered uncrimping one on QVC that you set on the lid and it operates hands free. You can probably find one on Amazon.
We have the hands-free unit.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom