Has anybody reinvented the can opener?

Wow, I had no idea we were missing out! I like that you could put the lid back on if you wanted.

Yeah, very handy for something like Tomato Paste which I have (in my life) tossed many half or more more cans away. But the most common use for me is a can of chopped tomatoes which can be part of many meals -- Tacos, for example.

The we have is the "OXO® Smooth Edge Can Opener". I works great and the sharp edges are gone.

We use an OXO can opener at home, and I agree it works extremely well and is comfortable to hold. And I’ve opened some gnarly cans with it.
Actually, OXO has a more "modern" version. We have had this model for quite some time (6-7 years) and can swear by it.

One of the big advantages (IMHO) is that you can put the lid back on if you only need partial contents -- it is a little fragile that way but I do it all the time.

https://www.amazon.com/OXO-Good-Grips-Smooth-Opener/dp/B000079XW2
that looks like what we use. And it has these great grippers that can clamp on the edge of the lid and lift it. Very handy.

Last edited:
We use an OXO can opener at home, and I agree it works extremely well and is comfortable to hold. And I’ve opened some gnarly cans with it.

that looks like what we use. And it has these great grippers that can clamp on the edge of the lid and lift it. Very handy.

Anyone know where to get one of these NOT online?

I ordered the Oxo smooth Edge from Target.com, $19.99. Free 2-day shipping with $35 total purchase, which DW filled quickly. Cheapest one on Amazon was $27. I can't wait to open something!

OXO with the smooth edge opener. You can get it at bed bath and beyond. Also other places that carry lots of kitchen gadgets.

Here are two videos of regular people's reviews of the smooth edge can opener, not people who sell stuff. The guy in the first video turned the handle 32 times and it didn't work for some reason. The woman in the second video, who had experience with it, turned the handle about 21 times and it didn't work for some reason. Both eventually got it to work.

In my video, using OXO's standard ("soft grip") can opener, I turned the handle 9 times. I think it only needs 8 if you puncture the lid with a squeeze only, but I follow the instructions about turning the handle to puncture the lid.

Also, click the links I gave to Koolau to see the number of stars each one got. My standard one got about 4.5 stars (8 five star ratings and one 1 star rating). The smooth edge got about 3.2 stars (seven 5 star, two 3 star, three 2 star, and four 1 star).

Last edited:

I got one of these about 20 years ago, I think probably at Bed Bath and Beyond. It is great and it is my idea of the perfect can opener. I do not feel the need to ever even try another can opener.

According to the Amazon reviews, they are now made in China and some say they are no longer as good as the old ones like what you and I have.

So you guys are leaving food in a can once it's opened?

So you guys are leaving food in a can once it's opened?

Well, I don't have the good can opener yet, but, yes. Sometimes I'll use half a can of something. Typically I'll put foil or film wrap over the top and stick it in the fridge. Am I missing something?

No can opener? No problem. The Russian military way is to simply hold the can upside down, then scrape the top on a sidewalk, road, or side of a brick building, until the top lip grinds off the can. Then turn it back upwards and remove the lid. Good to go.

Last edited:
Well, I still have to reach down & open the lid before sitting.

Here are two videos of regular people's reviews of the smooth edge can opener, not people who sell stuff. The guy in the first video turned the handle 32 times and it didn't work for some reason. The woman in the second video, who had experience with it, turned the handle about 21 times and it didn't work for some reason. Both eventually got it to work.
Glad I'm not the only one having issues with these new side-cutters. We bought a battery powered version. Trash. It might work on a can with a 10" diameter. Anything smaller is hit and miss.

We tried the side cutters, maybe 30 years ago. Seems every 10 to 15 years they make the $19.99 special......BUT WAIT! Also tried electric, however for the last 20 years we have used one similar to the Seinfline.

In the early aughts I got this electric one that does a fancy side cut (totally lifts off the lid) - this thread made me look it up. Apparently it was Krups and no longer made, though it apparently had some folks who loved it enough to try to buy used ones on amazon for $70:
https://www.amazon.com/Krups-404-70-Open-Master-Opener/dp/B00004SPED#customerReviews

I rarely even use anything canned anymore, and for the past few years I've I've just grabbed a manual opener vs. plugging in my krups. They work easily enough the pricey electric one is now one of those "what was I thinking?" puzzles.

No can opener? No problem. The Russian military way is to simply hold the can upside down, then scrape the top on a sidewalk, road, or side of a brick building, until the top lip grinds off the can. Then turn it back upwards and remove the lid. Good to go.

Can't imagine any "proper" soldier of any nationality without a church key hanging around his neck. With one of these, it's quick work to open a can in the field. Plus my friends in the military always had one of those openers you see in post 6. I keep a couple of these in the cars and in the silver ware drawer - just in case.

BUT I have often wondered how quickly I would figure out how to open a can in the "wild" with no proper device to do so. My conclusion (without any evidence, admittedly): If opening a can by some means meant hungry vs not hungry, I'd figure out a way to open a can. (As my wife always says about herself "I went to college!") YMMV

I bought a couple of different manual can openers and did not care for any of them. I used a Zyliss can opener at my daughter's house and immediately ordered one. I love it so far.

I use an electric can opener. I keep it in a cabinet. I also have two no name brand manual ones that work well but I rarely if ever use them.

I have the OXO side cutter (above) and have used it for years. Occasionally I run into a can it won't open. I believe the problem is different "lip" (solder/crimp) dimensions on the can. I bought a zyliss, and at first (not reading the instructions), I thought it wasn't working. Set it aside for a few months, pulled it back out, read the instructions (duh!) and it works like champ! No can it can't open yet. It makes a clean "pipe-cutter" style cut through the wall of the can below the crimp. Even magnetically catches the lid at th end. I strongly recommend this opener!

https://www.amazon.com/ZYLISS-EasiC...hild=1&keywords=zyliss&qid=1602649972&sr=8-15

thanks, I will check out the oxo models. I looked at openers on Amazon; there is a daunting number of models to choose from. Never realized so many companies were in the can opener business.

Hamilton Beach 76606Z. My wife loves it. It cuts the side of the top of the can. Very clean cut. Very good reviews.

thanks, I will check out the oxo models. I looked at openers on Amazon; there is a daunting number of models to choose from. Never realized so many companies were in the can opener business.

I sort on average purchaser rating. Then scan for best price in the highest rated items. Delivery time is also a consideration.

Back
Top Bottom