Has anybody reinvented the can opener?

So, I got my Oxo smooth Edge from Target.com ($19.99). Just opened a can of condensed milk. After clamping on the opener, the handle turned surprisingly easy. I was concerned it was doing nothing but after a complete rotation I felt a slight easing of pressure turning the handle. I used the little grabber and the lid popped right off. Very cool device. Thumbs up for now!

Attachments

• 5ABB5F21-5BFC-4F78-92FB-547C457D20FF.jpeg
    5ABB5F21-5BFC-4F78-92FB-547C457D20FF.jpeg
    107.3 KB · Views: 17
Aren't Most cans self opening nowadays? We have not used a can opener for ages.

Yes, I think so. With the pull tabs. There's an entertaining YouTube video of young people trying to figure out how to use a can opener. I prefer the non-pull tab cans because the seal is probably less likely to break if the can falls, but I never made a buying decision based on that.

Not the 'huge' cans. Our "specialty" is midwestern green beans at pot luck luaus. We take one of the huge cans (a couple of quarts?), cook them with kielbasa and then add diced potatoes. Opening those cans can be problematic even with a "good" electric opener. YMMV

You don't want them on split pea soup cans. It's a real effort to get the soup out of the pull tab cans :LOL::LOL::LOL:. Andersen's went to pull tabs then quickly back to the old can. Cans of pumpkin that I buy also have the old can. Our kitties get a spoonful with their morning canned food. That's about all I use my can opener for.

You don't want them on split pea soup cans. It's a real effort to get the soup out of the pull tab cans :LOL::LOL::LOL:. Andersen's went to pull tabs then quickly back to the old can. Cans of pumpkin that I buy also have the old can. Our kitties get a spoonful with their morning canned food. That's about all I use my can opener for.

And with Thanksgiving coming up, some people insist on serving those cranberries with the "can lines"! :)

I was looking for an image, and this one came from someone who makes their own cranberry sauce/jelly, and puts it in a can for the expected "can line" appearance her family expects.

https://foodinjars.com/recipe/home-canned-cranberry-sauce-made-in-a-tin-can-mold/

molded-cranberry-sauce.jpg

-ERD50

Back
Top Bottom