Has anyone here caught the Virus, or know anyone who has?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well my wife just talked to her coworker. She went to the Dr. and he said she likely has it but wouldn't test her! She then went to the local hospital and they wouldn't test her either! I don't get it. Now everybody she has had any contact with has to quarantine for 14 days. If she was tested we'd know if this was necessary. Although it would probably take a week to get results anyway.

A couple of points. As far as I am concerned, if you can walk, talk, stand in line at the hospital...you have NO business being there. NONE. There is not much they can do for you unless you need acute care. Also, as far as I know, most states have drive through testing available *if* your doctor feels like you should be tested.

Second point. A few weeks ago my DW had surgery. While in the ICU, a well seasoned nurse said the absolute BEST WAY to avoid getting the virus is to assume that EVERYONE has it...EVERYONE and act accordingly. It was only a few days after her discharge did we hear that the very hospital she was in had COVID patients. We have done our best to follow her guidance and hopefully it will help us. Although, going to the pharmacy yesterday, it was apparent that a great number of people just do not understand social distancing.

Last point. There is a lot of information out there (and I know much of it is conflicting) but honestly, we just don't know what we don't know. There are different reports about symptoms/time periods/asympomatic/more variables. I think it's quite likely that there are a few different strains out there and it's pretty obvious that it affects people in different ways. So, as mentioned earlier...the best prevention is to assume that EVERYONE HAS IT.

A couple of points. As far as I am concerned, if you can walk, talk, stand in line at the hospital...you have NO business being there. NONE. There is not much they can do for you unless you need acute care. Also, as far as I know, most states have drive through testing available *if* your doctor feels like you should be tested.

Second point. A few weeks ago my DW had surgery. While in the ICU, a well seasoned nurse said the absolute BEST WAY to avoid getting the virus is to assume that EVERYONE has it...EVERYONE and act accordingly. It was only a few days after her discharge did we hear that the very hospital she was in had COVID patients. We have done our best to follow her guidance and hopefully it will help us. Although, going to the pharmacy yesterday, it was apparent that a great number of people just do not understand social distancing.

Last point. There is a lot of information out there (and I know much of it is conflicting) but honestly, we just don't know what we don't know. There are different reports about symptoms/time periods/asympomatic/more variables. I think it's quite likely that there are a few different strains out there and it's pretty obvious that it affects people in different ways. So, as mentioned earlier...the best prevention is to assume that EVERYONE HAS IT.

The hospital is where the drive through testing is, that's whyshe went there.

Well my wife just talked to her coworker. She went to the Dr. and he said she likely has it but wouldn't test her! She then went to the local hospital and they wouldn't test her either! I don't get it. Now everybody she has had any contact with has to quarantine for 14 days. If she was tested we'd know if this was necessary. Although it would probably take a week to get results anyway.
Given the number of false negatives, those steps are necessary anyway.

....we just don't know what we don't know.

Donald? Donald Rumsfeld is that you? ;)

DW & I talk about possible extremes, ranging from an almost 'immediate' antidote to the 200 years+ it took Europe to recover from the Plague...(apparently analyses of London cemetery bones indicated that those that lived through, or were born after, the Plague had longer lifespans in general than those born before.....of course, other factors were also in play).

Also looked at myxomatosis, (not Covid, but a virus nonetheless), deliberately introduced into Australia in the 1950s in order to eliminate imported European rabbits that were decimating crops.

The rabbits (that didn't die) evolved some immunity and the virus also weakened....but the lifespan of a wild rabbit is about a year......don't know how many generations it took.

Pretty much as long as I've been alive I've heard that 'the bugs' (in all their forms), are eventually going to 'get us', and although we 'presume' this current contagion is finite we don't have a yardstick.

Donald? Donald Rumsfeld is that you? ;)

DW & I talk about possible extremes, ranging from an almost 'immediate' antidote to the 200 years+ it took Europe to recover from the Plague...(apparently analyses of London cemetery bones indicated that those that lived through, or were born after, the Plague had longer lifespans in general than those born before.....of course, other factors were also in play).

Also looked at myxomatosis, (not Covid, but a virus nonetheless), deliberately introduced into Australia in the 1950s in order to eliminate imported European rabbits that were decimating crops.

The rabbits (that didn't die) evolved some immunity and the virus also weakened....but the lifespan of a wild rabbit is about a year......don't know how many generations it took.

Pretty much as long as I've been alive I've heard that 'the bugs' (in all their forms), are eventually going to 'get us', and although we 'presume' this current contagion is finite we don't have a yardstick.

All good points. As previous major events have taught us (9-11/Major Ice Storm/Hurricanes), there is much to learn *after* the event. Right now, there is information OVERLOAD....and trying to sort through what is actually relevant and what is irrelevant or just wrong is just about impossible. Throw in the fact that media outlets are seeing viewership unlike we have seen in a very long time, there is bound to be a lot of bull squeeze making the rounds. So, maybe Rummy coined the term, but I stick with it.

Update on Mom- she's home from the hospital and clearly on the mend. They sent her home with an oxygen tank to use as needed and she's using it less and less. She was feeling good enough to talk and to tell me that I put the wrong kind of soil in my garden.

Dad only had a mild fever for a few days but is now fever free and feeling good.

Update on Mom- she's home from the hospital and clearly on the mend. They sent her home with an oxygen tank to use as needed and she's using it less and less. She was feeling good enough to talk and to tell me that I put the wrong kind of soil in my garden.

Dad only had a mild fever for a few days but is now fever free and feeling good.

Excellent news.:dance:

Excellent news.:dance:

Most excellent.

Outstanding news!

What a relief!

You must be so relieved, Ugeauxgirl. Best wishes for a continued return to good health for both.

that is great news !

I was just thinking about asking you again, so this is great news! Hope they continue to improve and are soon well again.

Good to hear some positive news. I hope they continue improving.

You must be so relieved, Ugeauxgirl. Best wishes for a continued return to good health for both.
Thanks all. Yes, it has been a tremendous relief. Last night was the first night I got more than a few hours sleep in WEEKS.

I asked my Dr pal when it would be safe to go and see them again and She told me that no one is really sure at this point. I can't wait to hug them both.

Yay!

You must be so relieved Ugeauxgirl. It's hard enough to have loved ones seriously ill but add in the fact that they are isolated in the hospital makes it so much worse.

Good to hear!

Thanks all. Yes, it has been a tremendous relief. Last night was the first night I got more than a few hours sleep in WEEKS.

I asked my Dr pal when it would be safe to go and see them again and She told me that no one is really sure at this point. I can't wait to hug them both.

That's wonderful news! I'm very happy for you all.

You had a whole village here rooting for you and your parents, Ugeauxgirl! Very happy to hear this news :dance:

Yes, we need to hear good stories like this one! 95 years old, mild case, recovered. Doesn't make the news, like the horrible stories do!

So glad to hear this news!!! :dance::dance::dance:

Report from here in Louisiana: Over 1% of New Orleans residents have confirmed positive COVID-19 test results. New Orleans 2020 population is only 391K and there are 3966 confirmed positive cases within the city limits. As of yesterday there were 12,496 confirmed positive cases in Louisiana, most in the New Orleans area, and 409 deaths.

https://www.wwltv.com/article/news/...ates/289-349a02d5-03f7-4939-8838-23dddd76e80f

So yeah, even an introvert like me probably knows at least one person who has the virus, or more, but I couldn't tell you who since I am at home alone on semi-lockdown and haven't talked to anybody except Frank.

Very encouraging news! I am surprised they have her on the anti-malarial drug. I didn't know anyone was actually being prescribed that outside of trials.

The FDA has approved Hydroxychloroquine for various illnesses. As such, physicans can, in general, attempt to treat other illnesses with an FDA approved drug outside of clinical trial.

The main legal restriction has always been that the drug manufacturer can not have any type of marketing for other than FDA approved uses.

-gauss

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom