Has anyone here caught the Virus, or know anyone who has?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know anyone, but we have a couple of people with major risks in our family. We've locked down and have already been isolated for two weeks. We use masks, gloves, are washing often, and CV19 is just starting in our area. Our extended family is proactive too.

A trip to the grocery store every two weeks and we will otherwise isolate as long as we need to. We are home schooling our grandchildren. We did volunteer at their school, but it closed. Our sil and daughter work at home. And are also isolated except for us.

Others can make choices that work for them and their circumstances

Last edited:
Probably not. But when I refused to shake people's hands in early March people thought I was being irrational. And when I told the waitress not to pick up my glass to refill my water in mid March people thought I was being irrational too.

No, you are being proactive, and it has been widely recommended. I have seen no recommendations for regular civilians to stop having mail delivered to their home. Cautious with suspicious packages maybe, but that's all.

-ERD50

So I see on Twitter that someone promoting hydroxycloroquine as a cure was suspended. My two cents: although I love this drug I can't see how in any way it would cure covid 19. Make a person with terrible bodyaches and a fever feel much much better, yes, but it would not provide a cure for someone's lungs.

I read that it works by reducing inflammation. The death spiral from Covid19 is suspected to come from the extreme immune response.

Just found out that a friend of my oldest sister probably has it as she is showing signs and her husband is in the ICU on a ventilator...

More than likely he is going to die...

I'm sorry to hear this.

A friend was in Kenya on a mission trip in early March and apparently caught it in one of the airports coming home. He's had symptoms for 13 days now - fever, loss of appetite, and major fatigue. He did get checked yesterday in the ER as his fever spiked much higher, but his oxygen was still at 97% so they sent him home to tough it out. His wife hasn't been tested but assumes she had an asymptomatic case.

Imagine if this had happened pre-Internet. The phone lines would've collapsed from overload, and we'd be afraid to open letters from people.

Yes indeed. Without the Internet, the widespread dissemination of bad information and data would be more difficult.

Heard from our nephew and his wife in Minneapolis Thursday. They're mid-20's. Both had been home suffering from what they described as flu-like symptoms for several days. When his wife's fever spiked yesterday, he took her to the IR where she was seen by a doc and told to return home. She was not tested but was given instructions on isolation, self-care and the symptoms which would indicate she should return ASAP.

I was a bit surprised at the no-test decision at first. But, as others have mentioned, a positive test result would have done nothing to change the course of action and, given the fact there are false negatives occurring, a negative test outcome would likely still have meant going home into isolation.

Didn't get much clear information regarding whether others they have been in contact with are being notified as the nephew is not an outstanding communicator, to put it mildly.

A childhood friend of mine who is a nurse in NYC has a confirmed diagnosis, as do two of her housemates, but I am very thankful that they all seem to be recovering.

My husbands cousin in NJ has COVID 19. He’s about a week into it now.

The U.S. has still tested less than 1% of the population. So the odds of knowing someone that has been confirmed as positive are not that good. I know quite a few people who were sick this winter with symptoms similar to COVID-19. Some were probably regular influenza, but some could have easily been COVID-19. Most just toughed it out at home, without going to the doctor. A few others did go to the doctor, and were told to go back home and rest, without being tested.

This statistical analysis estimates that, as of March 31, the U.S. had over 10 million people infected with COVID-19. If true, we all probably know at least one person that has had it (at least indirectly); but since the testing was so limited (and continues to be pretty limited), we'll never know for sure.

https://www.dw.com/en/millions-of-coronavirus-infections-left-undetected-worldwide-study/a-53066134

And don't forget, plenty of asymptomatic or subclinically symptomatic people may have had it, too. Especially those under 20 or 30.

My son just texted me. He has a fever of 101. Coughing. Achy. He says he's figuring out what his next steps will be. He's called his doctor. He lives in another state. 30 years old. Young. Healthy. Single. I'm so worried. I'm teared up. There's nothing I can do.... He says he found out on Friday that someone at his megacorp was diagnosed positive a week ago and he had worked closely with them. So here we are...

My son just texted me. He has a fever of 101. Coughing. Achy. He says he's figuring out what his next steps will be. He's called his doctor. He lives in another state. 30 years old. Young. Healthy. Single. I'm so worried. I'm teared up. There's nothing I can do.... He says he found out on Friday that someone at his megacorp was diagnosed positive a week ago and he had worked closely with them. So here we are...
Sorry to hear. He has his youth and good health going for him at least. Hopefully he has supplies to get him through the next couple of weeks in quarantine. Can you send him stuff or have things delivered if needed?

We still don't know anyone that is confirmed. We know 2-3 that were tested but came back negative. There were 8 new confirmed cases in our county yesterday - one in our zip code.

Sorry to hear. He has his youth and good health going for him at least. Hopefully he has supplies to get him through the next couple of weeks in quarantine. Can you send him stuff or have things delivered if needed?

Thanks. He has a girlfriend. He says he took acetaminophen and took a shower. Fever 101.3. I'm sure his girlfriend will get him what he needs.

The woman who lives 4 doors down from us has it and is isolated at home. So far her husband has tested negative.

Just heard that my oldest sister's friend has it and has been hospitalized for 8 days but on the mend. She's 62.

Last edited:
A friend has died of the virus after being hospitalized 3 weeks ago. She was 78, in good health & super-active, a beautiful soul. Heart-breaking.

This disease is horrific. But even in NYC, where life has been upended, maybe it doesn't really hit you until it touches someone you love.

Last edited:
last Friday someone i have worked with for 20+ years in Southern MD, had just retired and started her SS at 70. GONE, so sad....

My friends father 84 years old is in a nursing home in Rye NY, Westchester county which is a hot bed of COVID came down with symptoms and tested positive was sent to hospital with low oxygen readings. He was treated as part of a study with Hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin, he was recovering and out of the hospital back to the nursing home in two days. Its been a week and he is doing great.

A friend that works in Manhattan had a cough and flu like symptoms in March. She could not get an appointment to be tested and company refused work from home option. Finally she got in-network Dr. apt... but Dr. had no tests and simply sent her home. She took train to work every day until the NYC shutdown. I think she had it and is in quarantine now. NYC/USA was not prepared and many people are paying the price.

My friends father 84 years old is in a nursing home in Rye NY, Westchester county which is a hot bed of COVID came down with symptoms and tested positive was sent to hospital with low oxygen readings. He was treated as part of a study with Hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin, he was recovering and out of the hospital back to the nursing home in two days. Its been a week and he is doing great.

Just yesterday I read that treatment was worthless and dangerous.how on earth are we supposed to know what's really going on.

He was treated as part of a study with Hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin, he was recovering and out of the hospital back to the nursing home in two days. Its been a week and he is doing great.

Just yesterday I read that treatment was worthless and dangerous.how on earth are we supposed to know what's really going on.

That's why it was part of a study. It's a learning process. We can't expect to know what's really going on. Not yet.

That's why it was part of a study. It's a learning process. We can't expect to know what's really going on. Not yet.

It seems like different studies aren't getting the same results with this protocol...like everything we need more information and some patience.

Yet another reason to not go by headlines and what the MSM is telling you to think. The study was a look back (review) which looked at 368 patients. Of those patients, 97 had been treated with hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin, 158 received "Standard of care" treatment. The study was only men, there were women patients but they were not included. The study looked at death and the need for ventilation.

About 28% of the HCQ + standard of care died.
About 11% of those receiving standard care died.
About 22% of those receive HCQ + Azithromycin died.

The paper states: "In this study, we found no evidence that use of hydroxychloroquine, either with or without azithromycin, reduced the risk of mechanical ventilation in patients hospitalized with Covid-19. An association of increased overall mortality was identified in patients treated with hydroxychloroquine alone. These findings highlight the importance of awaiting the results of ongoing prospective, randomized, controlled studies before widespread adoption of these drugs.”

Sounds like the drug caused more deaths, right?

Here's the issue - patients weren't randomly given/not given the drug. In addition, patients were prescribed HCQ or HCQ+Azithromycin AFTER being intubated. In other words, after the patient was in desperate shape, and likely in the midst of a cytokine storm.

Other issues with the study include:
- The "Standard of care" set of patients also included patients who were given azithromycin (30% of patients) and they were NOT broken out in the findings (azithromycin has been shown to have anti-viral properities)
- Analysis of the data also shows that the patients in the HCQ/HCA+ZPack set had Lymphopenia at twice the rate as the non HCQ/HCQ+Zpack patients. Lymphopenia is a condition in which there is a lower-than-normal number of lymphocytes. (White blood cells.) This is an issue in analyzing the results because Lymphopenia is a predictor of the severity of COVID-19. For example, see: https://www.nature.com/articles/s41392-020-0148-4

To summarize, this study doesn't tell us much except that more study is needed. But THAT message is contrary to the stream of information being fed to you and others, either because the press WANTS to mislead you or is too STUPID to understand it themselves. (I will leave it to others to determine which is the case).

p.s. I have NO IDEA as to whether HCQ/HCQ+Zpack/HCQ+Zinc/ or any other combination of letters works. What I do know is that this study (review) doesn't tell us that it does or doesn't.

ETA: Here's the link to the actual study if you would like to read it: https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.04.16.20065920v1.full.pdf.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom