Has anyone here caught the Virus, or know anyone who has?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The whole thing weird. He put me on Facetime so I could see his computer screen. There is a whole list of things on screen of potential things they test for. Like all different kinds of influenza, different viruses - just a whole bunch of things - like more than 20. And over to the right of each of these it said "Not Detected". Then way down at the bottom in a separate section it show SARS-CoV-2 "Detected". Then you click on that and you get this (he copied and emailed it to me):

Additional notes from your result A Detected result is considered a positive test result for COVID-19. This indicates that RNA from SARS-CoV-2 (formerly 2019-nCoV) was detected, and the patient is infected with the virus and presumed to be contagious. If requested by public health authority, specimen will be sent for additional testing. CRITICAL VALUE REPORT Due to the current public health emergency, Quest Diagnostics is receiving a high volume of samples from a wide variety of swabs and media for COVID-19 testing. In order to serve patients during this public health crisis, samples from appropriate clinical sources are being tested. Negative test results derived from specimens received in non-commercially manufactured viral collection and transport media, or in media and sample collection kits not yet authorized by FDA for COVID-19 testing should be cautiously evaluated and the patient potentially subjected to extra precautions such as additional clinical monitoring, including collection of an additional specimen. This test has been authorized by FDA under an Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) for use by authorized laboratories. Methodology: Real-Time RT-PCR Please review the "Fact Sheets" for health care providers, and patients and the FDA authorized labeling available on the Quest website: Covid19 : COVID-19

So it's just screwy. Or, maybe he just didn't look down far enough on the screen yesterday and it was really there all along, just not up with the list of 20+ diseases and he overlooked it.

OK - makes more sense if he didn’t find it at first. And I think that long blurb is a warning about false negatives?

A little more info from my son (an email)

"There are 2 sources of data. Luminate health is part of Premier who did the actual test. The MyChart thing I linked is from my doctors office and is from the Kettering Health Network.

I showed you the Luminate health thing on the phone earlier. It’s been updated now to directly tell me I have it. Different from this morning even."

So I guess just a delay of one source telling another what the outcome is and then getting it posted to the website he accesses for the information.

My dad's got it, he's been under the weather and we thought it may have been medication interactions/side effects since he recently changed some, and his doc wanted him tested.

My brother works closely with him (they're in landscaping and rarely come close to other people), so he went and got tested today.

In general, I haven't come in contact with my parents or brother during our Stay at Home time, but in the last week I've been in close proximity to all of them a handful of times. Of course. I'll be calling my clinic's new help line tomorrow to see if I should get tested or just quarantine for 2 weeks.

The good news is that there haven't been any severe symptoms in my family, no hospitalization needed. Keeping my fingers crossed that it continues that way.

The good news is that there haven't been any severe symptoms in my family, no hospitalization needed. Keeping my fingers crossed that it continues that way.

Good luck and hopes for a quick recovery. Do ask him to keep taking vitamin D - from all that I read, deficiency of this vitamin may cause many of the respiratory problems among those infected.

My son got sick with the typical covid symptoms. Fever no higher than 100.5F. However, he tested negative. We researched the testing and in some cases the false negatives are as high as 30%, so we still think he had covid19.

So, just asked my sister about her friends husband...

Good news and bad...

He is still alive!! But, he has been on a ventilator for over 30 days now.

Hope he recovers and does not have any permanent problems.

So, just asked my sister about her friends husband...

Good news and bad...

He is still alive!! But, he has been on a ventilator for over 30 days now.

Hope he recovers and does not have any permanent problems.

That's pretty much all bad news...I wonder what the reasoning is to keep him on a vent at this point.

That's pretty much all bad news...I wonder what the reasoning is to keep him on a vent at this point.

Just my opinion, but not dying is a good enough one for me...

I saw on the news where someone was leaving the hospital and was on one for over 60 days...

Been away from this site for some time......just got busy with other things.
Do think I may have had it back in Feb, a worse cold than usual is all I thought at the time. Have several family members in different states who also think the same about their at the time minor illnesses in Jan to early March timeframe.
No one in my family has it yet, officially, although we do worry about one Aunt in her nineties who is in a nursing home that has 5 cases so far in CT.
In the local nursing home I have visited for 22 yrs monthly as part of a pet therapy team (the team has existed there for 27 yrs ), just about every single resident and staff person is positive for it, with most asymptomatic, but there have been 3 deaths so far.

Sadly, yes. In fact, the first person in the US (so far) who died of Covid, was a friend. We graduated HS together. This was in CA. Oddly, her family never became ill, nor as far as we know, any of her friends. About 30 of us from HS attended the funeral and no one has been sick ((we have a FB messenger group that is quite active so I’d know)

My daughters mentor (lived in TX) died in late March of Covid complications.

Another friend of the family died of pneumonia, so maybe Covid, maybe not?

Another HS friend and his wife tested positive for Covid and were sick about 2 weeks but never hospitalized and never gravely ill.

My son was quite sick but didn’t get the test until after he Was well so not surprisingly didn’t test positive. I plan to pay for him to take an antibody test in a week or so to see.

Our county was the first to shelter in place.

Son’s next door neighbor in Des Moines just tested positive. She’s in her 30s and is a paramedic. She’s at home but no idea how sick she is. Learned the news from another neighbor.

yup, three good friends, two men, one woman...early to late 50's.

guy #1 had a mild case, no hospitalization. recovered.

guy #2 went to hospital with pneumonia and diagnosed with CV19 as well. moderate case and sent home. recovered.

she was worse. almost all the symptoms. no hospital, doc told her to stay home which she did. she was miserable fir a while (1 on a 10 scale). doing better...6 or 7. recovering.

Phillie, a good friend of mine had her stage 4 cancer come back 8xs and she had chemo every time over a 18 year period. It caused dementia. The last time it came back her husband was dead and I was her legal and medical guardian. I didn’t treat it as the kindest thing was to let her go. She was 65.

My condolences.

A good friend's father passed away from it.

I had contact on Monday with someone whose girl friend now has it.

I feel fine, but did not want to chance it so I went and got a test today.

It is an "interesting" test is all I will say.

I just heard from a two former coworkers. They are a couple. It seems the husband has just recovered from CV19. He is the first person I know who has had this disease. (Not including any asymptomatic people who never even knew they had the disease. They are a big unknown).

[-]In any event, he seriously very sick for two weeks -fever, aches and pains, little appetite, etc. . In the third week he started to finally feel better, and by the end of four weeks he was back to normal. [/-]

The above was wrong. I have since found out he was completely incapacitated for four weeks, then he slowly started getting better.

He seems to not be suffering from an long term effects. FWIW, The guy is about 60 years old and very fit. He skies, backpacks, goes rafting and loves to work on his home doing things like replacing fences.

Interestingly, his wife never got the disease. Despite sharing a home like most couples do, for some reason she never got the disease. They have both been tested over the course of the illness, and she shows no signs of the disease or of ever having had the disease. He is a sack of CV19 antibodies!

Last edited:
I personally know 3 people that have had Covid-19:

1. An elderly acquaintance in bad health--he died.

2. A friend in NY state, age around 50, no other health conditions. He was very sick for weeks with Covid-19. Is now recovering but having lung problems--cannot walk across a room without running out of breath. He is concerned that his lungs may be permanently damaged.

3. One of my best friend's daughter in law is right now in the ICU with Covid 19. Very sick but not on a ventilator yet. She is in her 40s, no other health conditions but she is overweight. She has 3 small children.

When you personally know this many people who are sick and dying it makes an impression. It has made me much more cautious.

I personally know 3 people that have had Covid-19:

1. An elderly acquaintance in bad health--he died.

2. A friend in NY state, age around 50, no other health conditions. He was very sick for weeks with Covid-19. Is now recovering but having lung problems--cannot walk across a room without running out of breath. He is concerned that his lungs may be permanently damaged.

3. One of my best friend's daughter in law is right now in the ICU with Covid 19. Very sick but not on a ventilator yet. She is in her 40s, no other health conditions but she is overweight. She has 3 small children.

When you personally know this many people who are sick and dying it makes an impression. It has made me much more cautious.

All of your examples are important to note, but the #2 example is just another real example of the differences vs. the regular flu.

Influenza can cause permanent lung damage too.

Influenza is bad --I know I had a bad case a couple of years ago. But in my entire life I have never known anyone with life threatening influenza. On the other hand, in one month's time I know someone who died from Covid-19, someone with serious lung damage from Covid-19 and a young person now in ICU from Covid-19. Influenza is a bad disease but Covid-19 is many many times worse. I would guess that Covid-19 may turn out to be 10 times worse then influenza. There is no comparison.

Influenza is bad --I know I had a bad case a couple of years ago. But in my entire life I have never known anyone with life threatening influenza. On the other hand, in one month's time I know someone who died from Covid-19, someone with serious lung damage from Covid-19 and a young person now in ICU from Covid-19. Influenza is a bad disease but Covid-19 is many many times worse. I would guess that Covid-19 may turn out to be 10 times worse then influenza. There is no comparison.

LA mayor in one of his daily briefings a couple of days ago, compared COVID-19 and flu death. LA lost people to COVID-19 in one week (last week), more than flu in one year!

That makes it 50 times worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom