Hearing Aid Advice

I'm surprised the batteries would not be rechargeable through a little docking device, or even wireless-ly (like some toothbrushes are).

It sounds like you actually need to pull the rechargeable batteries out and replace them? That would be a pain if you need to do it every few days versus a week. But that seems odd for a $2,800 device.

-ERD50
Great idea ERD. I bet by the time I get around to buying my next set, the $2800 Costco version will offer some sort of wireless recharge. They definitely were not available when I got mine (probably a matter of weight and space limits) but wonders never cease in the tech area.

Update

She's had the new hearing aids for a few weeks now, and it is a significant improvement. I need to repeat myself much less often, and that makes a big difference.

It's hard to quantify, but I'd say that with her old hearing aids, if my hearing were 100, her's was 50. Now, I'd say that her's is about 80.

She can adjust the volume, and that's useful.

There are things that are now too loud for her. She has to leave the room when I run the blender.

If we're driving at 60 MPH with the windows closed, and run the fan in the outside air position, there's some kind of resonance in her hearing aids that we both hear.

But those problems are minor.

Highly recommended.

Blenders are very noisy but the pitch may be real issue. Usually the audiologist adjusts a new aid a couple times as the wearer adapts to it, bring the blender along on her next visit to see if s/he can mitigate this. It is amazing what they can do today.

A tip for anyone with behind-the-ear hearing aids.

A friend of mine wears this style. She lost one of the aids while on a long autumn walk. After she noticed that it was missing, she tried retracing her steps, but to no avail. The ~ $2500 aid was gone for good, probably lying under some leaves.

To try to mitigate this situation from reoccurring, after she got the replacement aid, she went to a guy who sells jewelry chain "by the inch". She had him measure the space between her ears (along her hairline in the back). He then cut a piece of thin gold chain (allowing for a little slack) and added a spring clasp on each end.

She put the spring clasp over the "thread" portion (the part that runs into the ear) of each hearing aid, thereby creating a tether holding the hearing aids together. This way if one hearing aid manages to works itself out of her ear, chances are that it will dangle from the chain until she notices.

Her hair is blonde, so the gold chain blends in. For someone with gray hair, a thin silver chain might blend in better.

On the off chance that you happen to notice the chain, it just looks like jewelry.

omni

Good idea -- maybe dental floss would work.

DW's hearing aids can respond wirelessly to the hearing tech's machine, and they make a noise when they're being adjusted. It would be easy to have something that you could use to make a lost aid chirp.

Lena goes away when I run the blender. I asked her whether she could just put her hands over her ears, and she said no, but I just realized that she'd have to put her hands over the receivers (behind the ear) rather than over her ears.

or light weight fishing line.

Monofilament line has a tendency to stick out and scratch/itch your skin.

(Several years ago, some clothing manufacturers tried using thin monofilament line as a 'universal' color to stitch hemlines and labels at necklines. This resulted in annoying and unbearable scratching until the offending material was cut out. LOL)

If you really want to 'go cheap' on a tether, just use sewing thread!

omni

Back
Top Bottom