OTC Hearing Aids-- What's Your Experience?

NoEZmoney

Recycles dryer sheets
So I had a recent hearing test and did the whole nine-yards and ENT follow-up. Long-story short: I have moderate hearing loss in one ear and slight loss in the other. I've noticed it's harder to understand people in noisy areas like restaurants or places where there's a lot of talking nearby. I've always found people to not enunciate worth a dang even when I had good hearing but now it's just difficult to pick up what they're saying so I move in closer. My consistent nasal allergies and congestion only adds to the problem.

I had checked with a hearing clinic and had a bit of sticker shock at what they recommended ($3,000 to $4500) and just thought they are selling a good bit of technology (and services) that I may not fully appreciate. So here lately I've been reading about OTC hearing aids that may provide what I need at a considerbly less cost.
Costco hearing centers have some for around $1,000 but I've been reading about different kinds available through Amazon, WalMart, Sam's Club, etc.
Anyone take the plunge and use lower-costing hearing aids? If so, please share your thoughts.

Thanks in advance.

I am in the same boat as you. Slight to moderate hearing loss. High cost from my ENT, but with the recent regulations I am hopeful the cost will come down for all. I am also hoping that big players like Apple will develop a better and cheaper solution. After all, I hear their ear buds are fantastic.

Every so often I will look at what is available and I don't see much.

I read the costco ones are quite good, and save a lot over a traditional hearing clinic. The hearing clinics don't actually make their own hand crafted treasures, they just sell manufactured ones like everyone else.

Personally I'm not ready for a hearing aid, but am looking forward to the $250 OTC real hearing aids at the drug store, et al.

Since I can buy a cell phone for less, it should be pretty easy for manufacturers to make lots of profit on hearing aids that are far simpler than a cell phone.

i have been using my earbuds connected to my phone by bluetooth with an app that basically works like a hearing aid. very clear and can control the volume on the earbuds. makes for watching tv much easier.

I've noticed it's harder to understand people in noisy areas like restaurants or places where there's a lot of talking nearby.
My experience is that hearing aids over-promise when it comes to making speech more understandable in noisy environments. They make it a little better, but not as much as people are led to believe. They work well for watching TV at home, or taking one-on-one with someone in a non-noisy environment. But in a restaurant with other people around, it's still exhausting to try to follow conversations.

The 'over the counter' hearing aids are supposed to already be available in stores. But I haven't seen any. My Walmart says they may get them in, but they don't know when.

Costco is your best option for in office hearing aids. Over the counter will probably work fine for you also. There are some hearing aids that can be purchased on line that are good also, audicus ( in the Phonak family ) and lively by resound, Lexie hearing aids. those are all good hearing aids by one of the big manufacturers. Just be sure there is a return policy so that if they don't work for you , you can return them.

I forgot to mention tinnitus in right ear. Would be great if I could find a lower-costing hearing aid that had a Bluetooth setting where you could use your mobile app to dial in a phase reversal to reduce or cancel it.

mn54 which app is that you're using?
I ordered a set of Samsung earbuds mainly for hearing improvement. I can easily return them if they don't help much.

Back
Top Bottom