Hearing Loss, and Hearing Aids

HadEnuff

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
As I was approaching 40, I was at a dental seminar with some colleagues who were 8-10 years older than I, and we were talking about our vision, and close-vision correction, i.e. "bifocals". One of these colleagues told me that his experience was that he started to notice he never had "enough light", and was always reaching up and playing with the light (you know, the one on the moveable arm the hovers right over your head when you are in the chair).

Anyway, he was spot-on for me. This is exactly the progression I went through over the next decade, until I started getting "Varilux" corrections in my eyeglasses.

So now I'm 65, clearly having to ask "what?", when people speak too fast, or indistinctly. I can hear, but I don't hear very well. I definitely have some considerable tinnitus.

What bugs me the most is watching TV. Some dialogue is fine, but when characters are speaking "sotto voce", especially women's voices, while I can hear them, I can't make out what they are saying.

I have no problem hearing the sports guys, but they are yelling all of the time, or news announcers who use clear diction with no background music, but anything soft or subtle is starting come across as indistinct mumbling.

For those of you with hearing aids, is this how you would describe your transition from acceptable hearing, to needing aids? Also, how did you do with your hearing aids? Are you happy? It seems to me that of the dozen or so folks I know who have them, only 1 or 2 find them an unqualified success.

DH had tinnitus (ringing in the ears), which didn't help- too much time near jet engines in the military. His symptoms were similar. Hearing in the higher frequencies deteriorates first, which is why it's harder for you to hear women's voices. Add an accent or speaking too fast and I had to "translate" for him. Background noise was a big problem. Sometimes we'd walk into a restaurant and walk out again because he knew we wouldn't be able to carry on a conversation.

Hearing aids must be a high-profit item because when we were in the ritzier Zip code we got tons of mailings for free hearing tests. We got DH's at Costco (thanks to this group for the recommendation). The technology is pretty advanced- they can amplify sound coming at you more than sound coming in from the side (to alleviate the background noise) and they're controllable by a smartphone app, which lets you change settings for concerts vs. TV, for example, and are also bluetooth-enabled so devices such as your phone can direct sound straight to your hearing aids.

I think they helped DH but he never wore them 100% of his waking hours- never got a straight answer why. I think he just didn't like the feel of them and the fact that the sound did sound a bit artificial.

Asking what? check. I found this SO irritating when my late father did it :)
TV dialog - same as yours. Without the aids I turn on closed-caption for everything.

My perceptive then-PCP provided the nudge. He asked me if the hearing problem was getting in the way of interacting with others.

I got Costco Resound about a year ago. I wear them whenever I know I will be speaking to other people. They have an app, and I make sure the tuning is biased towards speech. You have to set that every time you put the aids on, which is annoying.

I am happy that I got them but I don't wear them all the time. They make some sounds ugly to me. For instance running water, and the cat's meow. I don't need them inside anyway, except for TV.

I only have one, my wife can tell when im not wearing it, t.v. loud, i cant understand her.
I wear it during the week for work and in the evenings, usually dont on the weekends, i killed it once outside by sweating while doing yard work.

One thing i notice my work chair makes lots of noise when moving around, when i forget my hearing aid, i never hear it.

camping i notice mainly when sleeping all the cricket, frog and other critter noises i never hear in my left ear but the right can hear it, i just roll over and i have silence.

Sounds like my experience. I hear tv better with the hearing aids as does my wife. But we both still have problems understanding conversation on tv, especially British programs. We often turn on closed captioning which works pretty well. I even notice that CC sometimes illuminates background newscasts, low volume song lyrics, and other stuff no one could hear. Sometimes those features add to the film.

Sounds like my experience. I hear tv better with the hearing aids as does my wife. But we both still have problems understanding conversation on tv, especially British programs. We often turn on closed captioning which works pretty well. I even notice that CC sometimes illuminates background newscasts, low volume song lyrics, and other stuff no one could hear. Sometimes those features add to the film.
+1 on British films. I have hearing aids, but I bought a set of Artiste ADH 300 TV headphones.
I have tried a number of them, and this one seems to be the best. About $80 on Amazon

The low light situation is common. I once read that one needs 2x more light for every 20 years of age above 30. That may sound like a lot of extra light until one realizes that our eyes have a tremendous range of vision from very dark to mid-day sun. Still, we do need it to do things like read comfortably.

I have problems with lines spoken quickly on TV, and those heavy accents used in Australia, England, Scotland, Ireland, etc. According to a local audiophile, part of the problem is that many TV sound systems accentuate the bass and treble but spoken language is often in the mid-range area that seems to be forgotten. That explains why 'sotto voice' often can't be heard well. The TV sound system is not doing its job properly.

However, at this point I don't blast the rest of the family out of the room. I do turn the captions on when watching/listening to those accented folks listed above.

The low light situation is common. I once read that one needs 2x more light for every 20 years of age above 30. That may sound like a lot of extra light until one realizes that our eyes have a tremendous range of vision from very dark to mid-day sun. Still, we do need it to do things like read comfortably.

I have problems with lines spoken quickly on TV, and those heavy accents used in Australia, England, Scotland, Ireland, etc. According to a local audiophile, part of the problem is that many TV sound systems accentuate the bass and treble but spoken language is often in the mid-range area that seems to be forgotten. That explains why 'sotto voice' often can't be heard well. The TV sound system is not doing its job properly.

However, at this point I don't blast the rest of the family out of the room. I do turn the captions on when watching/listening to those accented folks listed above.

Some TV's have audio settings to enhance voice sound buried in the settings menu.

TV sound box

A great solution for TV watching is a TV sound box by Serene Inovations. I've ordered 3 over the years (one for my mom, another for an uncle who had a fall @ lost hearing in one ear, & more recently, one for FIL who moved in with us.) It sits in a charger base when not in use; it's wireless & can be moved to where you are sitting. Has its own volume control so the TV volume doesn't have to be turned up too loud for other watchers. Not cheap, but definitely worth the $129. I found it on Amazon.

I notice I need light and crave it now. I never have been to eye doctor I just have readers all over the place including a thin optic pair you clip on your nose I have glued to my cell phone for emergencies. My stepmother taught me the damndest trick that works it you dont have your readers around...Make a tiny pin hole circle with your thumb and point finger and look through that hole. I will be damned if I cant see as clear as day without glasses doing it. I did it at a restaurant and read the menu clearly...And embarrassed my GF all at the same time too.

My dad used to be in the hearing aid business, and I spent a ton of time with him at the time. Many people have trouble with hearing TVs, doorbells, women's voices, as I recall. Part of it is pitch of the sound and from what I recall. Everyone has a different type and extent of loss, so it is very individualized. I've seen people, children, whose whole family thought were deaf, no hearing at all, and were fitted happily in hearing aids and could hear like they never imagined. Don't go without, styles are really good now. I've known two ladies who had the new tiny and expensive in-the-ear style everyone has nowadays. One had replaceable batteries, the other not. Pros and cons to both styles. Make sure you get a good evaluation and fit in your ear. Also, I've known someone for some time, who had a tiny behind the ear type that I never ever noticed until she adjusted it once. Even the behind the ear kind are nearly invisible now.

I have what the ENT refers to as a “dead ear” otherwise known as single sided deafness. Doc says likely due to a untreated infection 20 years or so ago. I have CROS hearing aids by Phonak. The dead ear device is only a microphone and it sends the sound to a receiver in the other ear. They do work somewhat but the sound is very artificial however it’s better than nothing. The other option is saying “what” “huh” “excuse me” or simply nodding like you actually heard the person speaking to you. Very frustrating

I’m actually thinking about going with a Baja bone conduction device.
https://www.cochlear.com/us/en/home...GFec2yp89onbXEcC3QNm1MBLfQ7oiX88aAvZ8EALw_wcB

It looks very odd to me hanging there exposed but I feel like I am missing out on a lot.

Last edited:
TV is our biggest problem, especially when DW is clanging pots in the kitchen. The dual Bluetooth receiver worked for us. It connects via the optical port on the TV.

The A and B "channels" allow for independent volume control or one person can be using the Bluetooth headset and the other can listen via the speakers normally.

https://www.meeaudio.com/connect-video-support-guides/

Oh wow! I was taught not to clang pots and pans when I learned to cook. It actually requires some planning and forethought, since preparing supper can involve many pots, pot lids, and pans.

My Dad hated random sounds (no doubt due to his own hearing loss) and I grew up learning how to do everything very q u i e t l y. I can't imagine making enough noise in the kitchen to drown out the TV.

TV is our biggest problem, especially when DW is clanging pots in the kitchen.

I'm getting to the point of investigating h aids. Same as mentioned, TV dialogue especially w accents, anytime there's background noise. I also find as I get older that I find noise very... annoying. Ironic that loss of the sense makes one more sensitive to high input? Guess it could be something neurologically related.

I have what the ENT refers to as a “dead ear” otherwise known as single sided deafness. Doc says likely due to a untreated infection 20 years or so ago. I have CROS hearing aids by Phonak. The dead ear device is only a microphone and it sends the sound to a receiver in the other ear. They do work somewhat but the sound is very artificial however it’s better than nothing. The other option is saying “what” “huh” “excuse me” or simply nodding like you actually heard the person speaking to you. Very frustrating

I’m actually thinking about going with a Baja bone conduction device.
https://www.cochlear.com/us/en/home...GFec2yp89onbXEcC3QNm1MBLfQ7oiX88aAvZ8EALw_wcB

It looks very odd to me hanging there exposed but I feel like I am missing out on a lot.

Well, I hadn't previously heard of the relay from one dead ear to the good one. I understand how it might work and also be frustrating. Is there an echo of sorts? But I was thinking this must be an alternative to bone conduction. So, bone conduction is what I was thinking to suggest considering before I got to the end of your post. I remember it vaguely as being effective in areas similar to yours. If the ear drum or other inner functions of the ear are damaged, the bone conduction was always an option. You may have better quality with the relay but I'd test it out if it can be simulated. The woman I knew with a modern over ear type is someone I saw daily or weekly for years, at the gym or office. Given my history, I was surprised I hadn't noticed the tiny behind ear device, just a sliver thin plastic connector, mmaybbe fiber optics it's so thin, over top to the ear plug. So tiny and invisible.

It sounds like you might benefit from seeing your doc and attempting refined adjustment to your device, or how you use it. Sorry I can't bbe more helpful. Don't go without your hearing. It's too isolating.

TV, high pitched voices, background noise, telephone conversations....these are all areas where people have trouble hearing as they age. Anyone with these troubles should consider a solution. Hearing loss doesn't get better, unless it's temporary from an infection, under treatment for example. Ask any guy who worked construction without ear protection. They'll have ringing in their ears forever. Tell your friends, protect your ears.

Those big screen tv's all seem to be lacking a decent speaker system. Thats my excuse anyway. I also spent too much time around jet engines in my working days. Although riding Harleys probably didn't help much either. I am not quite ready for aids, but see that day coming in the future.

Is there a satisfactory tv system that will amplify voices? That my main complaint - too much background noise in tv shows and I do watch a lot of shows with uk and Australian actors.

At the very least buy a sounder for you tv. They work much better than the tv speakers.

For those of you with hearing aids, is this how you would describe your transition from acceptable hearing, to needing aids? Also, how did you do with your hearing aids? Are you happy? It seems to me that of the dozen or so folks I know who have them, only 1 or 2 find them an unqualified success.

Yes that is me, but I also have tinnitus. I have found that hearing in parties is much harder than a 1-on-1 conversation. And my hearing loss is mostly in higher frequencies, so hearing women is harder than hearing men.

I got hearing aids but they only improved things slightly. They did nothing to improve the problem of hearing in a crowded, noisy environment. And they did not help with hearing soft spoken people, or people who have accents or tend to mumble. I thought they would be good in movie theaters but they aren't, but maybe it is our local theater which has not great acoustics anyway.

I have the Phonak hearings aid system with the one ear aid that transfers the sound to the other ear. Sometimes it is annoying and I take it out. I did get another piece that I clip to my collar that is programable and works with an app on my phone. It really helps in restaurants as it cuts out background noise. It cost about $250 and I carry it in my purse to use when needed. Some male friends have the kind that they keep in their pockets that does the same thing.

Well, I hadn't previously heard of the relay from one dead ear to the good one. I understand how it might work and also be frustrating. Is there an echo of sorts?

Not really a echo. Think of it as two different "pitches" entering the same ear. One natural from the good ear and the transmitted sound that sounds like a transistor radio. It can get annoying. I do find the aids very helpful when riding as a passenger in a car.

But I was thinking this must be an alternative to bone conduction. So, bone conduction is what I was thinking to suggest considering before I got to the end of your post. I remember it vaguely as being effective in areas similar to yours. If the ear drum or other inner functions of the ear are damaged, the bone conduction was always an option. You may have better quality with the relay but I'd test it out if it can be simulated.

Yes, there is a "test" device that you can wear to simulate the bone conduction device. My ENT fitted me with it and it worked quite well. More natural sound. Sadly, the appearance turned me off the idea. Frankly, a silly notion I need to get over.

Last edited:
Is there a satisfactory tv system that will amplify voices? That my main complaint - too much background noise in tv shows and I do watch a lot of shows with uk and Australian actors.

Yes, I purchased a SONOS playbase soundbar. it is controlled with an app on your phone/tablet and you can modify the voices to make them more clear and to "stand out" more over the background noises in the show. It works quite well for now but I will likely be going to wireless headphones as my hearing declines further.

My dad used Sony wireless headphones after a industrial accident rendered him nearly deaf (even with in the ear canal hearing aids cranked to the max). He combines the aids AND the headphones all at once and he can hear the TV

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom