Heart rate monitor

aaronc879

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I need to have ECGs very frequently for my job. I have to pass them if I want to keep doing my job. Recently, one of my ECGs showed a PVC. A single isolated PVC is generally considered asymptomatic in healthy people(so said the doctor)but it got me thinking that i'm not getting any younger and really should start doing some cardio exercise. Running or jogging isn't really an option for me(bad knees) so I think biking is my best option. I would like to bike 6 days a week for 30-45 minutes per day. Weather permitting i'll bike outside otherwise i'll bike at the gym(which I haven't been using often). I'm looking for recommendations for a heart monitor watch that has a constant readout of your pulse and doesn't require a chest strap. Does anyone have suggestions on a specific model? Specific features to look for? I'm a low income person so i'm not looking for the absolute top of the line. I'm looking for the best value. Thanks.

When you are at your gym, check to see if they have some sort of a cross trainer bike that also has handles that pull and push in addition to the foot pedals. When I was in Cardio rehab that type machine was able to get my heart rate the highest, over all the other equipment. I eventually bought a floor model for my house. Because of the recumbent nature of these type of cross trainers, they are also easy on the knees.

I'm looking for recommendations for a heart monitor watch that has a constant readout of your pulse and doesn't require a chest strap. Does anyone have suggestions on a specific model? Specific features to look for?

I've only used monitors with a chest strap, it seems like most of the heart rate monitors with a continuous readout come with one. Is there a reason why you don't want a chest strap? It does need to be fairly snug to work properly but I don't find it uncomfortable at all. I've also found that my chest strap (Polar model) works with most gym cardio equipment that have built in monitors.

I've only used monitors with a chest strap, it seems like most of the heart rate monitors with a continuous readout come with one. Is there a reason why you don't want a chest strap? It does need to be fairly snug to work properly but I don't find it uncomfortable at all. I've also found that my chest strap (Polar model) works with most gym cardio equipment that have built in monitors.

I just thought that it could be a problem if the chest strap comes loose while biking near a busy road. I heard there are models that don't require a strap so why not get one of those.

Why do you want to continuously monitor your heart rate. Just go get some exercise. Where a watch and take you pulse once in a while if you are really curious. Low tech is often the best tech, and quite affordable.

Why do you want to continuously monitor your heart rate. Just go get some exercise. Where a watch and take you pulse once in a while if you are really curious. Low tech is often the best tech, and quite affordable.

I'm not exercising to lose weight(i'm 6'6" and 175lbs) i'm doing it specifically for heart health. Therefore I want to stay within the proper range. I need two hands to take my pulse the "low tech way" which is rather difficult while riding a bike along a busy road. If I have a heart rate monitor watch then I can just glance down and see if I need to speed up or slow down.

I use a Blue Wahoo HR. It is bluetooth and so I don't have to wear a watch with it as it talks to my iPhone. To record workouts I use an iPhone app called Digifit. It is very helpful.

On the knees issue, I just had a knee MRI and found that my cartilage is mostly gone (the phrase used was bone on bone). I had been walking for exercise, but I've been told to not do that in future.

The 3 suggestions I was given for cardio exercise was (1) swimming (best), (2) elliptical or (3) cycling. I'm probably going to go for the elliptical. I had an exercise cycle years ago and my seat tended to get sore using it. I also have a Concept 2 rower (which right now I can use if it doesn't bother my knees) so I don't want something else that requires me to sit. I would have to go to a gym for swimming and I don't really like fitness swimming. So, the elliptical seems like the best choice for me and the one that is closest to walking (which I do like).

I just thought that it could be a problem if the chest strap comes loose while biking near a busy road. I heard there are models that don't require a strap so why not get one of those.

That shouldn't happen if you adjust it right and don't have your fans clutching at your body. I don't use one while biking, but if I did I'd tuck my shirt in.

Most of the monitors that don't use a chest strap are not as good at measuring heart rate particularly under exertion. I do like my Wahoo Blue HR because it snaps on. I've never had trouble with it coming loose.

First- I'll repeat the standard advice to see a doc for medical clearance before starting any exercise program. Assuming medical clearance.....

I always use HRM's with chest straps. IMHO these are the only units which give reliable continuous HR readings during exercise. I do triathlons so I bike/run/swim for exercise. To work well all chest straps need firm, moist contact (i.e. $$$ electrode gel or (cheaper) saliva licked on finger then smeared on electrode area of the strap). I've biked literally 10,000+ miles with HRM (inc some mountain bike racing a few yrs back) and never, ever had a chest strap come off during exercise. BTW- Only some HRM's give reliable readings in the water (and many units are only water resistant- not waterproof for swimming). HRM's bother me during swimming so I generally don't use one in the water.

Polar is a top brand. I've also seen some Timex and Sigma units work well, too. I use Polar & Garmin (for GPS tracking). I find it helpful to get a unit that gives ave and peak HR for each exercise session. I don't find the other 'fancy' features that useful. Don't know your budget, but checking the reviews on Amazon may help you find a good unit in your price range.

Last edited:
Another vote for Polar. In fact, after doing some research, I bought one about a month ago (Polar FT60). Easy to set up and use....I love it. I use it on both the elliptical and when I bike. I suppose anything is possible, but I don't think it's likely the chest strap will come loose/fall off, as long as you hook it correctly.

Garmin has non-GPS models, too. I use one. It has a chest strap which has no chance of coming off one's chest.

What I like is that one can download the data into a computer and look at it and keep a digital diary, etc.

In the old days the Polar chest straps did not have replaceable batteries, so when the battery died, you needed to buy a new one. I don't know if that is true anymore. The Garmin I have has a replaceable battery for the chest strap, for the watch, and for the footpod and an adapter for one's bike, too. So it can tell you how far you have run, biked, etc even if you use a stationary bike or treadmill or elliptical.

I think I may just go with the Polar FT2. Nothing special but has what I need at a reasonable price. Is Amazon the place to go to get the best price?

I got my Polar at Amazon. No need to worry about the strap coming off when riding, it won't happen. If it slides around its not tight enough. The instructions with my Polar said to adjust the chest strap so that there is ~8" between the ends when placed unstretched around your chest.

I got my Polar at Amazon. No need to worry about the strap coming off when riding, it won't happen. If it slides around its not tight enough. The instructions with my Polar said to adjust the chest strap so that there is ~8" between the ends when placed unstretched around your chest.

+1

I have a Polar HRM and never notice my chest strap at the gym. It is so comfortable I don't even feel it at all, and it never moves around whether I am weightlifting or doing cardio exercises. I got my Polar HRM at Amazon too.

The Polar should be good; I've used them and had good results.

Also, you probably already know this, but it might be good for your peace of mind to have a consultation with a good cardiologist (instead of a GP). I have a couple of small abnormalities in my ECG (they have always been there), and they always alarm a doc who sees them. But I got a cardiologist to examine my tracings and she told me there was nothing to worry about -- they are not unusual in young healthy people. That was over 30 years ago, so I guess she was right. Before seeing her, I was pretty concerned about it.

Hi,
I belong to a gym that has many machines (24 hour fitness). I have on again of again knee pain. I find the bike is not the best for me, my favorite is the arc trainer, it is like a elliptical but seems to be easy on the knees.

Not sure why but after a couple week of mixing in the bike I was getting knee pain.

Just a heads up that you might want to try other machines.

Why do you want to continuously monitor your heart rate? Just go get some exercise. Wear a watch and take your pulse once in a while if you are really curious.

I bought a Polar FT7 because my company had a wellness program and if your workout wasn't electronically monitored and recorded, it didn't count. When I could see how hard I was working (or not), it affected my workout. I didn't realize the effect till I did a sprint triathlon last year that I had done 2 years prior (before the HRM). I cut 2 minutes off the bicycle time- same course, same weather conditions, and I was 60 instead of 58.

It's also clumsy to try and take your pulse while you're on an elliptical trainer or on the road on your bike- you pretty much have to stop to do it. I want to keep moving!

Don't worry about the chest strap falling off- has never happened to me. You need to keep it fairly tight anyway so it can pick up your heartbeats.

Hi,
I belong to a gym that has many machines (24 hour fitness). I have on again of again knee pain. I find the bike is not the best for me, my favorite is the arc trainer, it is like a elliptical but seems to be easy on the knees.

Not sure why but after a couple week of mixing in the bike I was getting knee pain.

Just a heads up that you might want to try other machines.

Maybe i'll bike outside when the weather is good and use an elliptical at the gym the rest of the time. I hear it's best to mix things up a little anyway.

I use a Garmin 610 for running and biking and love it. On the dark side, when I crashed biking in the woods, breaking collarbone, it gave a really neat account of a) where it happened b) how long I was unconscious and then c) when I went into shock!

I find using it motivating in that you upload your workouts. Depending on your style of motivation, seeing the statistics is rewarding. Seeing no statistics being accumulated is motivation to get out there!

Gamin Foreruner 405, or predeccessor

I use the Garmin Forerunner 405. It's a nightmare to learn how to use but it's really accurate and reliable. It's not very affordable either. I've read that the Forerunner predecessor was more user friendly. FYI I would try Ebay for a used unit of any manufacture. I agree with the other posters that a unit with a chest strap is a must. I tried a cheapo , "watch only" brand and it was a complete waste of money. The heart rate sensor was hit or miss and worthless. You will be amazed at how sensitive your HR is to emotion. Everyone who goes out in public should be required to wear one. The moment you get upset or excited it will quickly spike Your HR. Getting up from sitting position will spike your HR. The point is that a chest strap will pick that up every time. There are actual zones for HR workouts and the Forerunner is actually programmable to your individual zone and will sound alarms when above or below your zone. Whatever you use you will need to figure your zones based on standard age formulas. You then "get in the zone" based on HR. My second zone is 117-130 which is moderate exercise for me. My normal workout zone is zone 3 around 130-143 which is breaking a sweat. Zone 4 would be working really hard for only minutes at a time and my zone 5 is only possible for seconds at a time at around 175 BPM. It's a great tool and I highly recommend using any reliable brand that you can afford.

I can't imagine any kind of cardio that would cause a chest strap to come loose. Maybe if you work out with Cirque du Soleil you might have an issue, but I've been using Polar HRMs for years and never had an issue while doing cardio (biking, running, swimming, rowing, etc). The only time I ever knock the sensor loose from the strap is when I do certain Olympic lifts in which the barbell stays close to the body all the way up. Even then it's maybe once in every twenty lifts.

I wonder how many of the knee problems mentioned in this thread are due to muscular/tendon weakness. Thanks to almost two years of resistance training I have recovered most of my knee strength and flexibility without any pain. I know a lot of folks think cardio is all they need, but I think that without resistance training and mobility work that cardio is not going to accomplish much good by itself.

Last edited:
I use the Garmin Forerunner 405. It's a nightmare to learn how to use but it's really accurate and reliable. It's not very affordable either. I've read that the Forerunner predecessor was more user friendly.

FWIW, the successor (410) which I use, is much more user-friendly.
My 405 died after less than two years, and I'm very happy with the 410 which has been in use for over two years and is still good as new.

I use a Garmin 610 for running and biking and love it. On the dark side, when I crashed biking in the woods, breaking collarbone, it gave a really neat account of a) where it happened b) how long I was unconscious and then c) when I went into shock!

Jesus! I could have used that when I joined E-R.org!

Back
Top Bottom