Heathrow to Central London Transfer: Uber or Taxi?

I have had great luck in the past doing routing with public transportation using Google Maps. Really excellent step by step directions, schedules, walking distances, stop names and locations, bus/tram numbers or subway line and direction, etc..

Last edited:
TFL website journey planner is really good, real time info.

I don't think they have an app or there may be third-party apps. Just open it on Safari on the iPhone.

Rome2rio shows it being a 44 min subway ride. So that would be a nice idea for the day after our long flight. I think we were there in 1972.

Also an easy walk to Hyde Park and Kensington Gardens.
Confused about your reply. It looked like Kensington Gardens should be walking distance from Paddington Station. What was the 44min subway ride to?

TFL website journey planner is really good, real time info.

I don't think they have an app or there may be third-party apps. Just open it on Safari on the iPhone.

Yes, there is a decent app called TfL Go.

OP resolved his original question. For others reading this, here's a counterpoint to the Heathrow Express. DW and I just went to London and used the HRX. Nothing wrong with it, and it was efficient and very reasonably priced. At least in our case, we wouldn't do it again because: After a 7+ hour flight we were somewhat tired. Even though our suitcases are wheeled, the walk to HRX was longer than expected, and dragging those suitcases made it seem longer. If I only had a carry-on, I'd heartily recommend HRX. Have a suitcase? I'd rather take a cab or other car service.

OP resolved his original question. For others reading this, here's a counterpoint to the Heathrow Express. DW and I just went to London and used the HRX. Nothing wrong with it, and it was efficient and very reasonably priced. At least in our case, we wouldn't do it again because: After a 7+ hour flight we were somewhat tired. Even though our suitcases are wheeled, the walk to HRX was longer than expected, and dragging those suitcases made it seem longer. If I only had a carry-on, I'd heartily recommend HRX. Have a suitcase? I'd rather take a cab or other car service.
OP here. Our entire trip was somewhat of a BTD experience where comfort and convenience was concerned. We sprang for direct flights in premium economy and we opted for hotel rooms that were larger and specifically had larger beds e.g. king size in London and whatever the corresponding size was in Rome. Lugging suitcases any further than we had to was not worth the savings of even a few tens of pounds. Our hotel was several miles from Paddington station so the savings would have been quite minimal anyway. So did we take cabs everywhere? No, indeed we walked as much as possible getting more than our usual 12-13k steps in almost every day. But doing those steps lugging suitcases? No thank you!

After much research we are going with a Blackberry cab after landing at Heathrow.

After much research we are going with a Blackberry cab after landing at Heathrow.

Their prices start at £90 each way?

Yikes!

Paddington Express starts at £25 each way or £37 round trip.

I also checked Minicabit, which I once used years ago, recall it being like $50-55 or £50-55 for 3 people, one way from central London to Heathrow.

Now their prices start at £63 each way, goes up to £85 for Heathrow to Gloucester Road

I guess these prices are still less than a on-demand black cab.

Picadilly Line one way from Heathrow to Gloucester Road Underground is £5.60, 37 minutes according to TFL Journey Planner, which also lists Paddington Express route as about £27.70.

It's about 42 minutes taking the Paddington Express, changing to the Circle Line from Paddington to Gloucester Road and all the walking to and from versus 47 minutes if you take the Picadilly line directly.

A wide range of prices.

I'm all for BTD but I can BTD the big savings for meals and other amenities in expensive central London.

I booked an accommodation near the Picadilly line specifically to be able to use the Tube to and from the airport.

Our situation is probably different then others. Mid 70's, 1.5 hr drive to SFO, 10.5 hr flight to Heathrow. We are only going one way into London and after that probably the Eurostar to Paris. We'll probably stay near Victoria Station where a short Rabbie tour takes off for Devon/Cornwall.

I'm comfortable spending the extra cab fare.

Yeah I spend $50-70 plus tip each way to get to SFO.

I don’t take Uber or taxi from the airport in Europe usually though because there are other options.

I don’t really have bus or train options to get to SFO, not without driving or taking taxi to the bus or to Cal Train and then taking another bus or taxi at the other end.

If I could do it with just one change, I might attempt it. But it’s at least 2 changes with luggage.

Maybe when I’m older and realize I may not run out of money, I’ll splurge more.

I probably can splurge but old habits …

Sometimes I get too worried about small costs. As a % of our trip this decision is tiny.

I will hope for stocks to go up that day ?

Our situation is probably different then others. Mid 70's, 1.5 hr drive to SFO, 10.5 hr flight to Heathrow. We are only going one way into London and after that probably the Eurostar to Paris. We'll probably stay near Victoria Station where a short Rabbie tour takes off for Devon/Cornwall.

I'm comfortable spending the extra cab fare.
+1 We stayed within walking distance to Victoria Station (two tours to catch from there) at the Wellington Hotel by Blue Orchid in Westminster on Vincent Square. Quiet and pleasant. The black cab cost to get from Heathrow to the hotel late on a Monday afternoon two weeks ago was just shy of £83and paid with our Fido credit card. That was for two of us. Pricing for the train is per person of course. We only had to exit the arrivals terminal and walk to the black cab stand with our luggage. We did not have to traipse after a driver to a parking lot. And we didn't have to care whether our flight was early or late. While a hired driver will usually wait for you, it's not always possible for him to pick you up a lot earlier than the planned arrival as we learned five years ago at Heathrow.

If I was by myself with a backpack, then the train would be ideal. But with luggage and two of us, it's black cab thank you very much.

Tiny percentage but still a lot of money.

£90 pounds each way would buy several meals, even in London.

Hell even £25 pounds for Paddington Express is a good breakfast or lunch go would go towards most of the bills for those meals.

+1 We stayed within walking distance to Victoria Station (two tours to catch from there) at the Wellington Hotel by Blue Orchid in Westminster on Vincent Square. Quiet and pleasant. .....

A quick looks suggests to me this could be better than one I wanted to stay at that got cancelled due to covid.

Does this have elevators ?
Is the area safe ? , I thought I read the South side of the river was "less nice".

Anything outstanding or weird about the hotel ?

Finally, what was the price per night for 2 ?

A quick looks suggests to me this could be better than one I wanted to stay at that got cancelled due to covid.

Does this have elevators ?
Is the area safe ? , I thought I read the South side of the river was "less nice".

Anything outstanding or weird about the hotel ?

Finally, what was the price per night for 2 ?
Yes, it has elevators. It's in Westminster near Pimlico. We pretty much walked everywhere but we weren't out much at night. We certainly felt safe but then we'd just come from central Rome with a side trip to Naples which almost makes Rome look like Singapore! But seriously, my cousin who is a successful Barrister and Solicitor lives not far from there. Not around the hotel but we did see the odd homeless person on our walks to local pubs and restaurants.

The hotel exterior is old but the interior was completely gutted and fully modernized. We had an executive room with king size bed and were very comfortable. Bath had shower and tub. Lots of hot water. Like many hotels now, your room card keeps the lights on. However, in the bathroom there must have been a motion sensor which didn't always detect someone in the shower. It was a minor nuisance that we never bothered to figure out. With taxes and fees: $373 a night (dollars not pounds.) We had to prepay our six nights but could have cancelled with full refund up to a day before we got there. We used Google to narrow down the hotel options and show who had the best pricing - Priceline in our case at the specific time. Lobby was very nice with comfy chairs and we had drinks with my cousin and his wife there. They offer a decent but pricey breakfast that we only utilized once.

I should also mention that the hotel room had a fridge and safe which was very handy to use for our laptops during the day.

Tiny percentage but still a lot of money.

£90 pounds each way would buy several meals, even in London.

Hell even £25 pounds for Paddington Express is a good breakfast or lunch go would go towards most of the bills for those meals.

Agree.

On the high speed train from Venice to Florence now. Fast and very nice but the wifi stinks. Fortunately, the hot spot through T-Mobile is working great. Just booked a week-long "Walk the Cotswolds in Comfort" trip next May through Mac's Adventures and need to get from LHR to Paddington to catch the train to Moreton-in-Marsh.

I'm seeing date-certain early bird discount tickets on the Heathrow Express for £5.5.

Last edited:
The Sofitel London Heathrow is a lovely hotel and is connected to termial 5 (the international terminal). Plus the Heathrow Express is right there too. I like your original plan.

The Sofitel London Heathrow is a lovely hotel and is connected to termial 5 (the international terminal). Plus the Heathrow Express is right there too. I like your original plan.

And the Hilton connected to Terminals 2 and 3 is also nice, and quiet. I’d stay there again.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom