Hello from cold Michigan

There are people who retired while still not having their house paid off. But when one retires, there is less income coming in, of course, and to still have mortgage payments — no matter how appealing the rate [3.25%, 2.25%, 1.25%] — is not advisable. It would be better to not have any mortgage payments.
Well, that depends. I did the math when buying my retirement home. If I had paid cash, I would have depleted my investment portfolio by another $500K, and it would have actually been $645K with taxes. I left that money invested, and took out a $500K loan at 2.6% APR. That's looking pretty good right now!

P.S. My 'income' is now more than 3X what I spent while w$rking!

Last edited:
Congrats!

If you don't mind disclosing the brewery name, I'll keep an eye out for it and buy some.

Brewery Nyx. We are a dedicated gluten free brewery. Please don't let that scare you, lol. Our beer tastes just like regular beer!!

Well, that depends. I did the math when buying my retirement home. If I had paid cash, I would have depleted my investment portfolio by another $500K, and it would have actually been $645K with taxes. I left that money invested, and took out a $500K loan at 2.6% APR. That's looking pretty good right now!

Yeah, from my post about a decade ago, I looked at both sides of this discussion. Financially, it would be better off just investing the money into the market (in the long run). However, I went with the emotional decision of not having the mortgage over my head. My home will be paid off in about 6 months, and it feels awesome!

When the home is paid off, I'll take that old mortgage payment and just start dumping it into my taxable. I feel like I'll be coasting to the finish line :)

Isn't it just wonderful!? NOW our money is w*rking for US - not the other way around. I still recall the first year my passive income exceeded my salary. Yet one more reason I felt comfortable retiring the minute Megacorp told me to do something I didn't want to do.

Brewery Nyx. We are a dedicated gluten free brewery. Please don't let that scare you, lol. Our beer tastes just like regular beer!!

I remember your post about the brewery. I was curious how that venture is doing. Is there an update on the brewery venture thread (link?).

I remember your post about the brewery. I was curious how that venture is doing. Is there an update on the brewery venture thread (link?).

Hey, jazz4cash! Good idea. I'll post an update to that thread, but things have been going very well.

Back
Top Bottom