Help For Groin Pull

the self-massage book mentioned (from Amazon as there is long waiting list for it at the library.

Ha
I'll tell you exactly who has that self massage book---it's a pack of nine year old boys and you can find them and the book in the darkest corner of your library--just follow the giggling.>:D

Perhaps the women on this forum can come together and give Haha a hand.

Well there goes this thread......I hope it is still funny when someone loses an eye....:eek:

There is a "one eyed monster" joke lurking there, if I am any judge.

I guess it wouldn't help if I were to point out to you gentlemen that a groin pull actually involves the hip muscles.

But who needs accuracy when we are having so much fun? :)

Ha

a groin pull actually involves the hip muscles.

Ha

Hmmm, a groin pull using the hip muscles:confused:? Sounds really different and maybe a little kinky---but, could be worth a try:cool:

I guess it wouldn't help if I were to point out to you gentlemen that a groin pull actually involves the hip muscles.

Ha

OK - dangerous place to jump in but...

I had a groin pull a few years ago, and it happened while I was recovering from a bad back. I think the fact that I was using all those back & hip muscles differently while trying to be careful with my back had something to do with the strain.

I never did see a doctor about it, figuring I would just get pain pills - but that may have been an ignorant move on my part. From what I read, it can take a long time to heal - like 6 months. So I was careful for a couple months, and slowly went back to stretches and some more exercise. I try to do lunges most days for my knees, along with a bunch of other stretches to keep my back in shape. I *always* take that first lunge gingerly.

-ERD50

LOL, I never knew a groin pull could be such a fertile field for jokes. :)

Anyway, it still hurts like hell. Next week I am going to see my MD, who will give me a referral to a Sports Medicine clinic to see a PT who is supposedly trained and experienced inn this area.

I will also look into this DO angle, thanks.

Ha

Hope you get some relief soon, seriously........:)

Maybe one of these MD's, DO's, PT's or other two letter acronyms can also help with your fields fertility.

I play indoor soccer once per week and if I take 2-3 weeks off or do not stretch properly, my groin is usually tweaked for around 2 days to 2 weeks afterwards.

Here is what I do:

1) I try to warm up for about 15-25 minutes prior to physical activity. This warm up will be
a) movement and changing directions
b) stretching
c) more movement

2) I then try to do a short stretching period while drinking a beer after the game.

If my muscle is tweaked, I will make sure to keep moving it during the day- take steps at work, mow the lawn or something.

I coach soccer too, and more often than not my muscle pulls come when I am not coaching and moving on a field with the players I coach (so I see more pulls when the only activity I get all week is when I play).

Most NFL players work out on Mondays- the day AFTER their game and take Tuesday off. The reason for this is because they need to move the muscles which are sore to maintain flexibility.

In sports training I receive for coaching, we talk about 2 things quite often. 1 is dynamic stretching. That means using activity to stretch instead of doing static muscle activities. I do this by moving prior to my static stretching activities and moving after my static stretching. The other issue is microtears. More often than not a muscle tear is when a micro tear becomes bigger. Microtears form after physical activity. This is why a cool down after the activity is important. This is why NFL players work out the day after their games- to work out the micro tear.

I am NOT a PT and have NO experience in sports medicine. I do coach soccer 6 days a week and get paid to do it, and I also play 1 day per week in addition to that. I am 35 yo and maybe my lack of injuries has more to do with my relative youth than it does because of what is taught in the coaching classes.

I did not know a hernia could cause a groin pull as others have mentioned.
I did not know back problems could also cause a groin pull (I have a bad back).

HaHa - if the self-treatment doesn't work, I second the recommendation to see a good physical therapist (of course, I'm a bit biased!:D). You likely have a muscle imbalance in either flexibility or strength (or most likely both) and specific exercises may prove helpful. A therapist would be able to do a thorough evaluation. Just make sure you find a good one (someone who has additional training in manual therapy would likely be your best bet).
I finally got a referral to a PT clinic and have been going for 2 weeks. Over a year ago Nords observed that my problem could be back or something other than my hip per se.

Well, this is also what the PT thinks, that it is in fact a lack of flexibility in my lumbar spine loading up my S/A joints and causing me to compensate with hip, etc. He found some very specific weakness in small movements that correspond to L5 myotome on the left.

The stretches are kind of painful; and I have some trouble recognizing when my multifidus is activated as part of the core development. Overall it is interesting, The PT and his exercise assistants seem very skilled and I am quite hopeful.

The rest part is very hard. Most of my social life that I depend on pretty strongly is dancers. This has been the case for over 10 years. This afternoon I went to a birthday party for a woman dancer who just turned 62. The party was a dance. Other than me, she is probably the oldest person around much. Many people were talking about their injuries, their PTs, their arthroscopic surgeries, and in a couple cases about pending joint replacement. (Talking out on the sidewalk, away from the music!)

I took a bus over, and caught a ride back with a woman who lives in my neighborhood. She is sidelined with a wrecked knee. She can't dance, she is kind of hesitant to have the recommended joint replacement, and she is lonesome. As she pointed out, all the communication between dancers is touch and movement and facial expression since the music is so loud that you can't hear speech.

It has always been psychologically important to me to be able to tear it up, and I hope I can regain full function. Today when I got home I did my therapy exercises, stretched, then iced, and I feel pretty good.

But I can also see the good sense in developing some less demanding hobbies that also provide social outlets. On the other hand, dancers are very physically warm and affectionate-it's kind of addictive and would be hard to walk away from.

Ha

Glad you are feeling a little better . It is hard as we age to move into less physical hobbies especially since you love dance so much . I find I can exercise a lot as long as it's in the water . You do not get the wear and tear on your joints and to me water is peaceful .

Back
Top Bottom