I'm Changing My Fitness Routine

haha

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Many of you know that I have a Concept2 rower in my apartment, and it has been a heavily used mainstay of my attempts to keep fit for several years. I even found a way to keep using it when I was waiting for my hip surgery date.

But no longer. About last Memorial Day my back started hurting, and for a while i couldn't even stand up straight. I know that rowing had something to do with the back issue, because it started during a rowing session and didn't really let up. I saw a Physical Medicine MD, and he sent me to an excellent and very encouraging Physical Therapist. She gave me exercises and a few stretches, and for 2 months this was the extent of my fitness routine. I finally got a lot of relief and they discharged me from treatment, with the understanding that I could come back if needed. The Doc said that it should be fine for me to start rowing again, but the Therapist felt that rowing was a pretty heavy stressor to the back.

Rowing has been my go-to on bad weather days, and also when I am lazy, because I have it grooved. I used toi climb on and an hour or so later climb off having rowed 10 km and spent roughly 500 kc.

To cut to the point, I think that may be over. Every time I have tried to row even short distances since my injury last summer, my lower back starts hurting in the same way. I really do not want to do there again. As many of you have experienced, back pain sucks.

So I looked back into my past and remembered something i did very steadily in the 80s. It is called HeavyHands, a loose system of exercises popularized by a psychiatrist named Leonard Schwartz. Basically, you exercise your upper body with fairly light hand weights while walking, jogging, dancing or doing whatever activivity you want at the same time. I seems to fit my need, it does not hurt my back, it keeps me lean, and although it is harder to get out and get started during ugly weather, it is possible to get a full workout in an apartment the modest size of mine. My goal is about 35 miles/week. which is monitored with my Fitbit. It involves friends whose astounding feats are shared to help shame me into getting going even when I ame lazy. I have a very hilly neighborhood, so I typicallymight log 60~80 floors during a workout.

Rightly or mistakenly, I think that the recent emphasis on strength workouts is likely misplaced, so I always want aerobic type workouts at mostly moderate intensity. Pumping the handweights make a steep hill seem steeper, and I will typically be blowing fairly hard when I reach the top.

Anyway, I hope this works out for me, It has cost almost nothing to get equipped, and no space or storage problem. Right now, i expect this to be my new program, and I hope injury or whatever does not cause a revision. Dr Schwartz is dead now, but there are things on the web, and his books are available used. Some are pretty expensive, which to me is testimony to the usefullness of this exercise form.

Ha

Last edited:
HeavyHands sounds like a good workout. Especially for those with back issues. Light weight resistance training combined with cardio. And like you say - low cost and no space requirements. I'd say give it a try - start off slow and see how well it does for you. Hope it works well for you!

Good luck. Most docs will say "if it hurts don't do it". I also have quite a bad back. My mainstays for cardio are spinning and elliptical. Spinning doesn't hurt my back at all while the elliptical sometimes does.

All one can ever do, (unless you are one of the lucky few), is keep modifying your approach.......I'm resigned to the fact that, eventually, I'm likely not going to be able to do anything.......but that day isn't here yet, and I'm damned if I'm going to let it think it is.

Wanting to get cardio indoors and hating running I decided to go with an elliptical machine. I'd never use a treadmill but I can do 30-45 minutes/day on the elliptical without having my body hate me for it.

I wonder if some core work might also help with your back issues (e.g. planks, side planks, maybe some limited crunches), but walking with the hand weights certainly sounds like a winning plan for keeping fit.

I wonder if some core work might also help with your back issues (e.g. planks, side planks, maybe some limited crunches), but walking with the hand weights certainly sounds like a winning plan for keeping fit.
i don"t know. Those planks hurt a lot during the period of back pain before I recovered. The PT never prescribed these exercises, other than the modified wrestlers bridge. (Rest on the shoulders, not the back of the head.)

Right now my back is fine, as long as I stay upright, which does fit well with my current program described above.

Thanks for the suggestion, I would like to get back to doing these because I think they are excellent exercises. Heavyhands routines do require and like enhance core stabiity, just as you woujld expect when one is messing with dumbells while or walking orpacing or whatever.

I have an old copy of Dr. Schwartz's book, with a lot of pictures of him and his wife, children, grandchildren as models of the movements. At the time he was in his late 50s, his wife in her face looked mid-fifties. He was very powerfully built, with low subcut fat like a sprinter. His wife was wearing very short and tight shortshorts. Her figure looked closer to a 25 year old than to that of the typical middle aged woman.

So I really do think this is likiely to be a fairly complete routine. Which I like, because it is simple.

Ha

Last edited:
I've always thought that rowing would be hard on most peoples backs. It sounds like maybe rowing isn't for you any longer. The heavy hands workout sounds like a good way to go. I would favor walking over running with the weights due to potential joint/back issues.

The best exercise is one that you enjoy and will consistently do.

The best exercise is one that you enjoy and will consistently do.

Exactly! I have found that one of the best ways to re-kindle one's interest in exercise, is to switch to an entirely different routine.

I would suggest using caution when jogging with hand weights. My experience doing this resulted in a long recovery from tennis elbow. It happens slowly. You might try it for a day or so, then pause for a week to see if any discomfort begins setting in.

Best of luck.....

I'm impressed that you found another good exercise to do when you had to give up rowing. Keep it up!

Personally I'm not interested in this because I don't even like running with a handheld water bottle, and use a waist belt with a bottle holder instead. Maybe wrist weights, keeping my hands free, would be acceptable to me. But it makes sense to me that this still has valid benefits. Like anything new, start off slow and gradually increase duration, effort, and weight (if at all).

I'm also a fan of finding activities you like and sticking with them. The best exercise in the world is no good if you constantly find excuses for skipping it.

I was having some shoulder issues recently that was hindering my golf game. Not sure what the cause was, maybe bad technique with some of the dumbbell exercises I was doing. I read the 'Younger Next Year-The Exercise Program' book and started following their suggestions, after a couple weeks no more shoulder pain. Their weekly routine is a combination of strength training (two days) and cardio workouts (four days) and a warm up routine before doing any workout. They really emphasize the need to do a good warm up routine before exercising, especially as we age.

Haha, I don't know your age, but I'm curious how your new program will work long term. I've never heard of HeavyHands, but I'll google it. What weights do you jog or walk with? What kind of exercises do you do while you're moving with the weights in your hands? I've seen people jogging with 3-5 pounders, but I find a bit risky. While I job, a bottle of water in my hands is more important. Walking with weights sounds reasonable.

However, if you think that your back injury originated from rowing, I would be VERY careful with planks as someone suggested. They are great exercises for building core strength, but if you've never done them or if your lower back was injured I'd use big caution if I were you. If you know the correct form of 'planking', you'd feel the muscles working in the upper-middle abs (the whole core in general). If you feel stress in the lower back though, it would imply your 'plank' position is not correct. I recall that feeling until I learned that my plank posture was not right. Of course, the posture can get incorrect when you are tired but still feel stubborn to hold a bit longer.

I'd think that squatting with weights wouldn't be advisable either.

I'm not a fitness pro or a doc but I know how back/spine is important...

As a person with OA of the spine, and a leg length discrepancy that causes problems with pretty much everything, I recommend Pete Egoscue's "Pain Free" for its analysis of the body from a mechanical standpoint.

Everything we do with one part of the body affects all the others. Egoscue's method is to analyze what you may be doing (or not doing) that is causing undue stress on whatever part of you is hurting.

Good luck! I am confident you will always find something to keep you active and lean.

However, if you think that your back injury originated from rowing, I would be VERY careful with planks as someone suggested. They are great exercises for building core strength, but if you've never done them or if your lower back was injured I'd use big caution if I were you. If you know the correct form of 'planking', you'd feel the muscles working in the upper-middle abs (the whole core in general). If you feel stress in the lower back though, it would imply your 'plank' position is not correct. I recall that feeling until I learned that my plank posture was not right. Of course, the posture can get incorrect when you are tired but still feel stubborn to hold a bit longer.

Just a word of explanation on why I suggested planks: often times when we do particular exercises extensively we can create muscle imbalances which can eventually come back to bite us. If Ha was working his back extensively, and not his front side, its possible his abdominals and obliques may have weakened and that could manifest itself in back pain. My lower back bothers me from sprinting and playing softball, but when I do planks, I do not feel any lower back discomfort. I certainly would not knowingly suggest anything that would cause harm to someone. But whatever you try exercise wise, the one golden rule is listen to your body and do not do anything that causes pain.

Thanks to everyone re all the suggestions and warnings and comments.

I do not jog, with or without weights. When I had my hip replacement, the surgeon said no jogging.

Anyway, I am careful with this because I really believe that moderate exercise and health are very closely entwined, and I do not want another injury that may sideline me.

BTW, I am 75, but have never really had downtime when I lost a lot of of fitness, other than whatever I lost in early summer this year. A few days ago I was coming up Madison St from the Central Library (a pretty steep pitch) and I was happy to reflect that I was having less breathing challenge than when i first moved to the ~downtown area roughly 10 years ago.

Ha

Just a word of explanation on why I suggested planks: often times when we do particular exercises extensively we can create muscle imbalances which can eventually come back to bite us. If Ha was working his back extensively, and not his front side, its possible his abdominals and obliques may have weakened and that could manifest itself in back pain. My lower back bothers me from sprinting and playing softball, but when I do planks, I do not feel any lower back discomfort.

A very good point, DFW.
I guess, like with everything in life, moderation is the key. Sometimes it's so hard to acknowledge that we're not getting younger. I've always used DVD's and/or group classes to work out. Just recently my friend and I started meeting with a trainer and he already advised me to correct my postures in a few kind of exercises. Unless something changes, I'll meet with him for maybe a year until I'm sure I've learned correct postures. It will be helpful going forward. Neither DVD's nor group work-outs pointed out what I did wrong.

I have had back issues since I was a teenager.

A few years ago I found the work of Stuart McGill (Professor of Spine Mechanics) from the Univ. of Waterloo, Ontario, Canada. https://uwaterloo.ca/kinesiology/people-profiles/stuart-mcgill He has written a number of books and papers on his work. (low back disorders, back mechanics, etc.)

He has 3 critical exercises for core strengthening which are also good for recovering from lower back injury. These he recommends doing daily. They require nothing more than a floor on which to do them.

After a warm-up of Cat/Cow, then Curl-up, Side plank and Bird dog. (Stir the pot is a 4th, more-challenging, exercise which entails an exercise ball.)

Here's a demo video:

omni

Last edited:
I am no stranger to lower back pain, having herniated two disks twenty years ago. I find that one needs to do training that strengthens the entire body, especially the core muscles. It almost appears as if doing JUST the rowing could have caused some problems. If you have another back injury, you're going to have to be careful and work back up slowly.
As I age (soon to be 58) I still stand by strength training as a component of good overall health. And this includes the most warned about lifts, like squats and deadlifts. But I am very careful with technique, and don't over lift and this has helped tremendously with my back. My back is stronger and without pain now, after spending decades fighting lower back pain. I may get occasional flares now and then, but they are minor, and it is usually due to not paying attention to what I am doing with my back. Good luck!

A few years ago I found the work of Stuart McGill (Professor of Spine Mechanics ) from the Univ. of Waterloo, Ontario, Canada.https://uwaterloo.ca/kinesiology/people-profiles/stuart-mcgill He has written a number of books and papers on his work. (low back disorders, back mechanics, et.)

He has 3 critical exercises for core strengthening which are also good for recovering from lower back injury. These he recommends doing daily. They require nothing more than a floor on which to do them.

After a warm-up of Cat/Cow), then Curl-up, Side plank and Bird dog. (Stir the pot is a 4th, more-challenging exercise which entails an exercise ball) Here's a demo video: ...

omni

I do a different set, but similar in that it just takes a few minutes, all done on the floor, and focused on the core. It has made a night-day difference in my back problems. Even when I didn't have a full blown 'episode', I would often feel a 'tinge' just bending over to brush my teeth, or pick something off the floor, or just anything at all.

I have not had one of those 'tinges' or any other back problem for a long, long time. It took a few months before I suddenly realized that it was far easier to do the leg extensions, which were very difficult at first. No doubt, I strengthened those muscles, and I believe that is what made the difference for me.

I lay on my back, alternate pulling each knee to my chest, tightening the abdomen as I do this and hold. Repeat ~ 10x.

Then just push my back as flat to the floor as I can, tightening the abdomen as I do this, hold, and repeat.

Then planks, raising my back and holding with feet and shoulders on the floor.

Then the leg extensions - lay on back with ab tight and knees up at ~ right angle, feet on floor. The slowly raise the feet a bit, and extend them out, and return. Repeat.

I do this when I wake and before I go to bed. Sometimes I'll do a few during the day if I've been sitting, just to loosen up.

-ERD50

A few years ago I found the work of Stuart McGill (Professor of Spine Mechanics) from the Univ. of Waterloo, Ontario, Canada. https://uwaterloo.ca/kinesiology/people-profiles/stuart-mcgill He has written a number of books and papers on his work. (low back disorders, back mechanics, etc.)

After a warm-up of Cat/Cow, then Curl-up, Side plank and Bird dog. (Stir the pot is a 4th, more-challenging, exercise which entails an exercise ball.)

Here's a demo video:

omni

Good video Omni. I've done all of those over the years, except stir the pot, although I did a variation on that where you push the ball straight ahead with no side to side motion.

I do a different set, but similar in that it just takes a few minutes, all done on the floor, and focused on the core. It has made a night-day difference in my back problems. Even when I didn't have a full blown 'episode', I would often feel a 'tinge' just bending over to brush my teeth, or pick something off the floor, or just anything at all.

I have not had one of those 'tinges' or any other back problem for a long, long time. It took a few months before I suddenly realized that it was far easier to do the leg extensions, which were very difficult at first. No doubt, I strengthened those muscles, and I believe that is what made the difference for me.

I lay on my back, alternate pulling each knee to my chest, tightening the abdomen as I do this and hold. Repeat ~ 10x.

Then just push my back as flat to the floor as I can, tightening the abdomen as I do this, hold, and repeat.

Then planks, raising my back and holding with feet and shoulders on the floor.

Then the leg extensions - lay on back with ab tight and knees up at ~ right angle, feet on floor. The slowly raise the feet a bit, and extend them out, and return. Repeat.

I do this when I wake and before I go to bed. Sometimes I'll do a few during the day if I've been sitting, just to loosen up.

-ERD50

These are good ones as well, but what I do for leg extensions is lay on my back and lift one leg at a time (maybe 6-8" off ground) while pronating the foot/ankle outward as far as it will go and hold for 5 seconds. I do five repetitions like this and then repeat with the other leg. Also do this same routine on my side and laying on my stomach. Very helpful to relieve sciatic pain.

Good video Omni. I've done all of those over the years, except stir the pot, although I did a variation on that where you push the ball straight ahead with no side to side motion.

These are good ones as well, but what I do for leg extensions is lay on my back and lift one leg at a time (maybe 6-8" off ground) while pronating the foot/ankle outward as far as it will go and hold for 5 seconds. I do five repetitions like this and then repeat with the other leg. Also do this same routine on my side and laying on my stomach. Very helpful to relieve sciatic pain.

I'll look into incorporating some of these others into my routine. I think mixing it up is good, I'm sure there are areas that my routine isn't hitting, and that overall strengthening is important to this it seems. And we can never really be sure what has helped, it takes time, and not easily measured. But I put a fair amount of faith in the fact that those leg extensions were so difficult for me, indicating a real weakness there, and now they are very easy, and that correlates with my being better.

And at this point, I think doing some of my 'standards' less than every day won't be a problem, as long as I replace them with something else. As I said, I'm much stronger than when I started, maintenance should be pretty easy (I think).

-ERD50

As I said, I'm much stronger than when I started, maintenance should be pretty easy (I think).

-ERD50

Amen, once you build strength maintenance becomes much easier, but very important as well.

Ha,

I woke this morning with an idea for you--I hope this works.

You buy a weight or Bowflex machine, but you use it in an aerobic/cardio way!

That is, you set the weight low enough that you can do, say, 500 repetitions instead of only eight. You could choose from different exercises and find which are not stressful to your back. Chest press, curls, leg press, etc. You could even do this type of row, in which your chest is supported:

Like the OP I'm a fan of the Concept 2 rower and have used it for a number of years 2 or so times a week. (More heavily during nasty winter weather; less so during the summer.) Unlike the OP, I generally row for about a half hour each time and reach about 5600 meters. My core (no pun intended) exercise is spinning, 2 or 3x per week.

When I was a lot younger, I had a set of Heavy Hands and sometimes ran with them, running being my core exercise back then. I've tried on many occasions to start and sustain a modest weight program but I've never been able to stick with it more than 1-4 months without blowing it off. I just find it boring and I'm one of those taller, thinner guys who never has had much muscle mass anyway.

Recently I started going to classes at my gym which may keep me interested for a longer period. They're these cardio/strength classes where you do a lot of jumping around/almost dancing, stretches, crunches and upper body exercises with relatively light Dumbbells (I use 10 or 12 pounders at the moment.) The classes kick my butt but the hour seems to go by much faster than an hour of weights would.

I figure if I do those classes 2x per week, spinning 2x, some rowing and walking my dog for 30-50 minutes 3-4x I should have a pretty well rounded routine (and keep myself from getting too well rounded.)

BTW, I'm a 71 yo guy. Most of the classes are heavily populated by women which is fine with me. I'm not sure how many of the guys working out on weights, ellipticals, treadmills and stationery bikes in the main part of the gym realize how hard these classes are. I know I didn't.

Back
Top Bottom