HIIT

I'm a 58 female and have always enjoyed exercise. Have run most of my life and got into cycling about 12 years ago. Most exercise was cardio based until I started gym classes after I retired in 2014. I've been doing BodyPump and Tabata (HIIT type of class) and have seen my body change significantly. The Tabata has cardio components, but also includes strength training. I've also cleaned up my eating and feel the best I have felt since my early 30's. Just need to get DH on board :)

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I can say even a moderate addition of HIT has improved my running performance (age 50). I go the gym 2x per week and run an almost all-out 5K 2 to 3x per week.

Based on reading this board (thanks), I decided to add a single all-out 20 second sprint after resting 10 minutes or so after running the 5K. Sometimes I do a 45 second sprint instead. Anyway, my 5K times have improved by at least 20 seconds, on average. I was already in very good shape, so that is a big improvement for me.

Skiing is my favorite HIIT activity. A challenging ski run is perhaps 6 minutes long and I will take 1 or 2 breaks along the way (I enjoy the mountain scenery while my wife catches up:))

Get on the lift and rest for 7 minutes and repeat. Can to this for up to 6 hours a day and 3 days a week. Love it!

Have no idea how many calories are burned, but I never, ever lose any weight (fat). I feel I have to over eat to sufficiently recover for the next ski day.

During the off season, I still perform HIIT with the elliptical machine (knee permitting). I also swim sprints and enjoy high altitude mountain biking and mountain hiking.

At 54, my joints simply do not allow running and jumping (plyometrics).

Back
Top Bottom