Home prices getting interesting, what price are homes in your neighborhood?

Reseda, a middle of the road San Fernando Valley suburban area.
We bought in 2010 at $340k. Similar house next door sold 2.5 years ago at $610, sold again last month for $916k after being listed at $839k. Other houses close by in the similar range. Insaneaneane!

We are def thinking about cashing in our chips to retire elsewhere.
Clearly demand is kicking butt on supply.

We live in a small (1500 sq ft) painted concrete block house in a small beach town not far up the road from you. Almost all the houses on our block have been built in the past 10 years on lots where the previous houses like ours were standing. They are all between 3500 to over 6000 sq ft. Our house that I bought for about $50k in 1983 would now sell for over $1.1MM. A lot on the block the size of ours where the house was raized just sold for that so I think the Zillow estimate is pretty close.
I have no intention of selling since there is everything we want or need from lots of hospitals, stores, theaters, etc. within 10 to 45 minutes.
It is totally NUTS! I wouldn't buy it for anywhere near that price now.

Cheers!

I did get a link from a home valuation site estimating out value at just over $1M. First time I'd seen a value that high. If you assume a somewhat lower value that's still up about 45 percent over past 5 years or so in our neighborhood in Loudoun County (Northern VA).

It's 4500+ SF so more than we need but here if you downsize you get a tiny lot. If you build on a big lot, you probably don't save much money.

And unless you are moving to a different market, your home rising in value is a non-issue except rising property taxes.

But if history is any guide, prices will fall.

Yes home prices are up a lot in most areas like most everything else these days. Great time to already own a home but horrible time for those looking to enter the home buying market or those looking or needing to relocate. How long will it last nobody knows.

With all this home equity riches anyone planning on looking at a reverse mortgage or some other way to access the equity? Seems a shame to be sitting on so much equity.

In the Raleigh-Durham area where we have rentals - Apex, Cary, Fuquay - homes that were in the $200s a few years ago are now in the mid-$400s and keep going up. (Up 22.9% in 2021) Apple deciding to expand to the Research Triangle didn't hurt.

Where we live near San Diego, comps are up 50%+ during COVID. Prices range wildly from $750K 650sf condos to $10M+ beach homes. (Current median listing price is $1.9M)

Last edited:
FL Panhandle between Destin and Panama City Beach.

Had a house in our gated hood go for $2 million, $530/ft. Paid $135/ft for mine 6 years ago, though not on the resort-style pool.

The unusual thing in my area is that homes that could be vacation rentals (4-5+ bedrooms like that mentioned above) go for much more than homes suitable for a family/fulltime resident. There is a beautiful home nearby that has been on the market for nearly a year but hasn't sold-only 3 bedrooms. Unsuitable for a vacation rental.

So, an upgraded personal residence isn't selling at a high, but reasonable price, but people are paying up for something that will rent at most 18-20 weeks per year. Doesn't make sense to me.

Another data point-know someone selling a 3BR house within walking distance of the beach in Destin. Of the *18* offers within a few days, only one was for cash. With the leveraged speculators coming out, I agree with OP we're near the cyclical top in RE prices, at least where I live.

Why are home prices up so much? :confused: Covid? Interest rates? Stock market?

Prices have been skyrocketing in Reno because of all the Californians moving here. I read that our prices are higher than Sacramento. I paid 211 for my 855 sq ft condo 9 months ago and now they are selling for 260k. Houses are between 600-1 million in this neighborhood. I have been hoping that prices go down because my kids want to buy a condo.

I don't mind that the housing keeps going up. Any move would only be a downsize, plus am protected on the tax side.

Me too. I'm downsized enough as it is.

We live in Palm Springs and the appreciation here has been insane. Everything sells quickly, often multiple all cash offers for $800K-$1.2M homes in our area. I think the major driver is the ability to work remotely that COVID accelerated. Lots of people left LA, the Bay Area, San Diego, Seattle, and Portland for the more laid back desert lifestyle. They can sell their property in the city, buy a nicer, larger property here and still pocket some serious cash as those areas have also appreciated strongly.

Also this area is popular with retirees, and it’s the perfect place to move from a major So CA city after retiring. We are still a 2 hour drive from our Coastal friends so it’s easy to get together with friends and family still in the city. Most of our friends love visiting us here - it’s always been a resort area.

I think finally the US is catching up with Canada, that has been insane for years, property NEVER seems to go down there. They earn a lot less on average and have no Mortgage interest benefit. Personally, I think mortgage interest benefits should be phased out in the USA. It is about time to stop propping up the RE Market, that seems to ignore it anyway.

SWCO - 5 years ago we paid $150 a foot today $300++. There's no inventory for the last 2 years, every week another realtor ad in our mailbox. Our neighbors are all of the same mind, love the idea of grabbing the equity but where would I go? I talked with a young guy who did, found a old junk trailer home and is going to build on the property over time.

5 Homes were for sale in our whole community at the weekend, all super high IOHO. Only 1 left (Smallest one, 2,300sqft. on a through street, busy by our standards, but hardly), all others are under contract. 1 was only on for 3 days.

If you want to see crazy prices, check out Santa Cruz, CA in Realtor.com. Small older homes located several blocks in from the beach are going for $1500/sqft. My sis lives in a 1,000 sq ft home on a tiny lot. A realtor recently told her she could expect to get cash offers ~1.2mil.

Where to go? There are lots of options

Three years ago, our only child, working for Lowe's in SoCal, quickly figured he'd never be able to buy a house there. So he got a transfer to Evansville IN. Same salary, housing prices about 70% less, and in less than a year he had his starter house.

We figured we'd follow when we got "old" but Covid and the RE bubble convinced us to pull the trigger early. Sold the 3100-sf mostly empty place (bought 1994 $218k) for nearly $700k, moved to Evansville, rented an apartment for six months to make sure we could tolerate the summer weather, and then bought a perfectly nice one-story, 2000-sf place with losts of renovations for $199k. We haven't seen a tax bill yet, but last year's was $1350 and we're expecting under $2000.

Evansville is a city of 116k but -- I think this is important -- it's a 2-hour drive from any other city that large or larger. That means all the major store chains are here, there are two humongous healthcare systems and lots of chain and local restaurants, some of them surprisingly good. The city library has eight branches (vs one in SoCal for same population), etc. There are theater companies and a small but decent orchestra. (There are two universities here.) Gas is currently 3.10.

Or you can live "in the county" -- ten minutes from the city -- and get the same house on two acres with a pole barn and maybe a tractor thrown in, for a little less money. If that's not modest enough, drive across that they call the "Money-Saving Bridge" into Kentucky, and for the price of a 10-minute drive you can get a further 15% of the cost of almost everything.

Indiana is not California nor Florida, and there is a little cultural adjustment to be made, but nothing you haven't done when traveling to other countries for vacation. It helps if you don't have strong political views either way. The public schools are generally not as good, but you're retired. Spring and fall are nice, summer is kinda steamy and the lows might be 72. Winter is milder than the Northeast, where I have had some experience. The drivers are no crazier than SoCal (except that EVERYONE runs red lights, and it's expected), and the roads are way emptier and in much better condition.

We actually came for the family connection, not the prices, and I'm not pitching this particular town for you, but there are lots of Evansvilles in the US. They do tend to be in the midwest and states like OH and PA, the weather is not "coastal" and it's kinda flat here, but if you're flexible and want a less-expensive retirement, you can find one you like. Find one of those "America by night from space" photos and look for a good-size bright spot surrounded by some darkness. Visit in the summer and go to an actual pie-eating contest at the county fair.

Last edited:
I'm not convinced that Zillow is correct on an absolute basis, but if I assume that their methodology is at least consistent over time, then my house value has gone up by about 20% in two years.
The Zillow value for our house is wildly low; less than our 2019 purchase price. Realtor.com and our county assessment are close together, between 15 and 20% above our 2019 price.

Zillow, for my area is outdated BS. I think the algorithm they use runs an average that has a look-back for at least 18 months, if not longer.

So my pre-pandemic price was about $430 - which was stable and aligned with then-current home prices.

Today Zillow has me at about $550, which would be a joke of a giveaway vs. current comps of the past 90 days - avg around $700, and mostly homes that have a lot more need of upgrades. If I listed today, I'd ask $780.

Not gated...not sure what relevance that had in the original question. The gated community next door isn't comparable, as their homes require a massive country club equity payment and annual membership dues.

BUT, if one sells, where does one go? Without cutting one's QOL that is.

SWR - you mentioned in the past about downsizing. That may be the route you take, while still moving to the same or comparable neighborhood.

Our Zillow estimate is 20% too low. I got 4 pieces of mail offering to buy our home today. I am sure they are based on the Zillow prices, hoping that the homeowner will use them too.

SWR - you mentioned in the past about downsizing. That may be the route you take, while still moving to the same or comparable neighborhood.

Agreed, if only it were that easy. Saving 10% to downsize is not really an option, that is basically or almost what it cost to sell & buy again at the end of the day.

Agreed, if only it were that easy. Saving 10% to downsize is not really an option, that is basically or almost what it cost to sell & buy again at the end of the day.

True. Tough spot for you with a coastal desire, desire to keep excellent medical options, political leaning ruling out much of FLA, etc.

Why are home prices up so much? :confused: Covid? Interest rates? Stock market?

Classic supply-demand mismatch.

Low supply due to depressed building since financial crisis, new housing construction shut down or delayed during covid, people who wish not to show their homes due to pandemic.

Increased demand due to housing formation deferred since financial crisis, greater ability to work from home, people spending freed up commuting funds on larger homes in the burbs and fleeing cities, pandemic changing people's mindset about housing. Low interest rates drive affordability...

For now at least.

Homes in our direct neighborhood are selling for $650,000-800,000.
Homes w/i 3 miles can be similar or in the multi-millions. Depends on the view, water, mountains, etc.
We live in a simple 1700 sq ft 1960's Ranch, on a good sized lot, as are most on this street. But there are many McMansions and even larger homes within the city.
So far, our little neighborhood has managed to have homes remodeled and sold, rather than torn down and rebuilt into larger homes, or frequently 2 homes on the lot due to the lot size.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom