Home Repairs - YouTube is Your Friend...

Midpack

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I recently had our routine annual AC cleaning/check on our 8 yo unit. The tech told me the dual run capacitor was getting weak (61 microfarads?) and should probably be replaced, he had the part and quoted me $325 to do it same day. I remembered a YouTube video I watched a while back and seemed to recall it was an easy DIY job, so I declined their service. A few minutes later, he volunteered the capacitor was a $10 part and told me exactly what to buy and how to replace it. I told him I couldn't understand why the AC company would quote such high prices for a routine 2 minute job - I had already covered their travel costs with the tuneup, so it was all additional profit. He shook his head in agreement, but he said most homeowners just assume it's a fair price and approve without thinking. Sure enough I ordered the part on Amazon for $19, and replaced it in a couple minutes. It's typical for run capacitors to fail after 7-8 years.

Just another PSA as I have saved myself thousands doing whatever I can DIY around the house or our cars, either I knew how to do the job (thanks Dad) or I did a little research on YouTube to decide. If I look and realize it's beyond my ability, nothing lost. There are certainly jobs I would not tackle, better left to a pro, but there are quite a few that homeowners can easily do themselves and save thousands $.

The best part is DW thinks I'm a genius when I fix stuff, even though I tell her I just research online to decide when to DIY.

Last edited:
7-8 years? My central air is now over 22 years old - it was here when I moved in. I have always been pretty conservative about usage of AC and rarely run it Oct to May. I did have to replace my thermostat a few years back because the furnace blower fan would kick off (while compressor continued to run) due to a worn contact on the old thermostat. I went digital at that point.

I agree youtube along with the interwebs in general can be very useful for DIY. Don't forget to get any necessary permits when required for your own protection / liability.

Last edited:
I'm a DIY'er from way back. Originally out of necessity, but eventually it allowed me to retire early by keeping housing expenses way down.

I must be old fashioned. I never made the "pivot to video" which apparently everyone else did. I simply don't have the patience to watch some moron blabber on for 20 minutes, just to get to the part where they show how to get at the part I need to fix or replace. I don't want your life story, and I don't want to click on "like or subscribe." I'd much rather have a clear, still photo or diagram, and if necessary, written instructions, a parts list or whatever.

I've noticed it's getting even worse now, with video creators going to great lengths to "spice up" their videos with click bait titles and thumbnails, background music, video effects and all the other trappings of post-production I hate. You don't need a producer and a professional videographer to give me the facts.

Replaced the cap on my RV AC a few years ago I think it lasted 9 yrs from new to dead.
Was easy to see it was bad with the capacitance meter on my DVM.

I got our old Kenmore washer working again twice, for less than $20 each time - I thought I was going to have to replace it both times, but nope! Found how to fix our exact model on YouTube, it was easy. It was still running strong after 25 years when we moved from that house, and the guy at the appliance parts store where I bought parts told me that old washer would last 50 years if I took care of it...

I have to agree with CaptTom on the "overproduction" videos; I've found a good screening tool is look at the length of the video. If it's 30 minutes to show a ten-minute job, keep looking, there's probably a ten-minute video to show that ten-minute job. One series I like is by RepairClinic.com. They show the parts replacement/repair using brand new equipment so you don't have to deal with parts obscured by layers of dirt, they are (I think) well edited and lighted and they show all needed steps without repetition or endless yackity yack. I'm well aware they do it to sell their parts, but that's a legitimate sales tactic I think.

I've fixed the washing machine, lawn mowers, done some light carpentry that I wouldn't have done otherwise, and greatly improved my house painting skills and techniques by watching youtube videos. It's a terrific resource in spite of all it's flaws.

You can also set the playback speed to 2x. Sometimes I navigate away from YT and let them blather on until I hear they are talking about the info I need. My laptop also has some form of precision scrubbing(?) that helps me skip through the blather.

I recently had our routine annual AC cleaning/check on our 8 yo unit. The tech told me the dual run capacitor was getting weak (61 microfarads?) and should probably be replaced, he had the part and quoted me $325 to do it same day. I remembered a YouTube video I watched a while back and seemed to recall it was an easy DIY job, so I declined their service. A few minutes later, he volunteered the capacitor was a $10 part and told me exactly what to buy and how to replace it. I told him I couldn't understand why the AC company would quote such high prices for a routine 2 minute job - I had already covered their travel costs with the tuneup, so it was all additional profit. He shook his head in agreement, but he said most homeowners just assume it's a fair price and approve without thinking. Sure enough I ordered the part on Amazon for $19, and replaced it in a couple minutes. It's typical for run capacitors to fail after 7-8 years.

Just another PSA as I have saved myself thousands doing whatever I can DIY around the house or our cars, either I knew how to do the job (thanks Dad) or I did a little research on YouTube to decide. If I look and realize it's beyond my ability, nothing lost. There are certainly jobs I would not tackle, better left to a pro, but there are quite a few that homeowners can easily do themselves and save thousands $.

The best part is DW thinks I'm a genius when I fix stuff, even though I tell her I just research online to decide when to DIY.

I personally just clear of anything to do with ELECTRICITY. Decades ago, a close relative died after being short circuited while working on an appliance that was "malfunctioning". I am not worried about being killed but I do fear electricity and would not want to set a house on fire. I do basic plumbing myself but electricity is off limits for me.

^^ For all but the simple stuff, I agree re: staying away from electrical work. I’ve wired ceiling fans, light switches, replaced light fixtures and the like. And I would never work on anything live. But I just had a 240V receptacle/circuit added to our house, I understood every step but I never would have attempted it myself, same reason you give - I don’t want any risk of fire.

I consider each project as they come. If I am not 100% comfortable, I’ll call a pro - I don’t want to find out I’m over my head the hard way. I am more than happy to pay a professional when there’s any doubt.

That's half the battle - knowing your own limits. For me it's gas fitting. I am very comfortable working with electricity, based on both experience and formal training. Gas scares the crap out of me. Sort of reminds me of working on hydraulic lines, which I barely muddle through, but with far worse consequences for screwing up.

Here in the heartland we actually do have heat and AC. Our landlord (niece) has a service contract on it and similar at the business next door. If anything quits or acts up, we just tell her and she calls the service company to fix it. I think she has to pay for parts but the contract covers labor. I wouldn't touch an AC or furnace anymore (I used to change thermocouples in the furnace and hot water heater.)

Yes, youtube us great! I previously did a lot of DIY, for numerous reasons they are now infrequent. I limit myself to easy ones, not dangerous, and requiring little time. As I write this, I may have to replace one of my dishwasher racks, and if one of my kids can't do it I'll likely call a handyman because I see great potential to f*&! it up.

you should add annual AC cleaning to your DIY list, its easy to do and will save what ever they are charging you.

DH just regreased our ancient (30+ year old) KitchenAid heavy duty stand mixer. This maintenance would not normally be necessary but we had left it stored unused for long periods.

Anyway, it was complicated but a three part YouTube series led him though the whole process in detail. DH was researching this because he thought the mixer was louder than it should be. He’s a happy camper but it did take 4 hours mostly due to cleaning out the old dried up grease.

So if you have a KitchenAid stand mixer, use it once per year to avoid additional maintenance. It’s tough for us because we don’t bake anymore.

Last edited:
you should add annual AC cleaning to your DIY list, its easy to do and will save what ever they are charging you.
My next door neighbor from our previous house was a HVAC guy. The annual AC cleaning after we downsized also serves as a time to catch up with him. I enjoy it!

I agree, give me a parts list, a few pictures, and I'm good. But don't know how many times I've tried to watch a youtube and got so darn frustrated with shaky videos, bad lighting, um, uh, etc. But there are some that are really good just takes time to weed through them.

While I’d be happy to do the coil cleaning myself and it’s indeed easy, it’s the other diagnostics I can’t do myself - like identifying a failing run capacitor, checking refrigerant levels, blower motors, static pressures, etc.

I enjoy watching the short videos posted by Dad Advice from Bo (dadadvicefrombo on YouTube, Instagram, etc). He provides lots of useful info in a quick format.

BMW shop wanted $600 to replace the camshaft position sensor (whatever that is), $400 or more to replace some seat track bushing part and more than $500 for a new plastic rear window in the convertible top. This is in my 2002 BMW Z3 3.2 black beauty.

DW found YouTube videos, we ordered the parts for maybe $400 and away we went. Most of the work was two person, so DW allowed me to assist on my car. Saved $1,000 or more.

I've always done my own plumbing, electrical (even new electrical box & 240V), heating/AC repairs (replaced heat exchanger), replaced gas water heater, etc.

But once I needed an underground feed to my house replaced, which had knocked out a leg of my electrical, and rain was in the forecast, plus I had a day job, so I hired that out.

I agree, give me a parts list, a few pictures, and I'm good. But don't know how many times I've tried to watch a youtube and got so darn frustrated with shaky videos, bad lighting, um, uh, etc. But there are some that are really good just takes time to weed through them.
Heh, heh, at least they're worth what you pay for them.

First time I realy used youtube was to cut down a large, dead tree near our home a dozen years ago. I was clear to drop it on 3 sides, so decided to rent a chain saw and give it a go. Tree was about 12-14 inches in circumfrence. Watched a couple of 'tubes, then started in. No problems, and the tree dropped to within 18 inches of target. Cut up into small pieces, and tossed into the woods nearby. Most likely saved $1000 plus.

While I’d be happy to do the coil cleaning myself and it’s indeed easy, it’s the other diagnostics I can’t do myself - like identifying a failing run capacitor, checking refrigerant levels, blower motors, static pressures, etc.
Do they actually do the other things other than cleaning?
and when they do do they ever find anything?

Do they actually do the other things other than cleaning?
and when they do do they ever find anything?
Absolutely. I wouldn’t use them if all they did was cleaning, I could do that. I’ve watched them do the work over several years, so I know there’s more to it than this basic description, checking refrigerant levels - something I want to know proactively before cooling season. Yes, they find issues sometimes, like the run capacitor this time.

IMG_2978.jpeg

I have to agree with CaptTom on the "overproduction" videos; I've found a good screening tool is look at the length of the video. If it's 30 minutes to show a ten-minute job, keep looking, there's probably a ten-minute video to show that ten-minute job. One series I like is by RepairClinic.com. They show the parts replacement/repair using brand new equipment so you don't have to deal with parts obscured by layers of dirt, they are (I think) well edited and lighted and they show all needed steps without repetition or endless yackity yack. I'm well aware they do it to sell their parts, but that's a legitimate sales tactic I think.

I've fixed the washing machine, lawn mowers, done some light carpentry that I wouldn't have done otherwise, and greatly improved my house painting skills and techniques by watching youtube videos. It's a terrific resource in spite of all it's flaws.
The "production quality" can be wildly different, from the sterile "repairclinic" to the guy who just talks to the camera with actually showing anything. Or the bad camera work or bad lighting.

If I'm looking for a video to fix something, I'll drag the slider and see how much footage is actually showing the process. And the length is a good indicator. Another indicator is to look for "cuts". If, In the first 30 seconds after the lead-in, you haven't seen a "cut", you're probably not going to have a video that's produced with high regard to respecting your time, and it's time to move on. Another key is the number of views; videos that people abandon get down-ranked and have fewer views.

If I don't find a video, I'll often make a video. As a producer of content, I can say that making a video is easier than making a web page with stills and text. My approach is to shoot what I actually do, without talking. Then clip each shot to show just something that was done. Once I link all of the clips together, I watch the video myself, and record a voice over. People don't even know what I look like, but they do have to listen to me yammer...I don't have a script, and do it in a single "take"...not professional, but I get mostly "thanks" comments. It's not monetized, otherwise it would be w*rk.

As to the capacitor replacement and the A/C check up, I've always thought the check up barely paid for the visit, so they need to sell you something or they would not be profitable. I've never had that service. The annual coil cleaning isn't required if you keep a good filter in place. I keep a spare capacitor and have replaced quite a few over the years.

If your outdoor condenser unit fan is warm, but the fan isn't spinning, the cap is bad. Harder to tell if the compressor motor isn't spinning, but if the fan is spinning, but the air coming out doesn't feel warm, it could be several things, one of which is a bad cap.

Back
Top Bottom