Honda Very Disappointing

We have a 2013 CRV. It has been through brakes twice, currently has a door lock issue, and the air bag light was stuck on and it needed a module- all before it even had 30,000 miles on it! I have complained to Honda about everything and they gave me some small token $ towards these things, but it has been frustrating.

Right now, I can't even tell you what we are going through about the door lock, which is the drivers side and the hatch that don't work with the key buttons.

PS- We live in semi-rural NY and I can relate about your traveling long distances. We are also one hour away from the dealer.

I also had a 2013 Honda Fit which I sold- no problems with it at all- I liked driving it except in snow- but it was like made of tin. Every time I went through a car wash, the roof would bang and has visible waves.

I will say one thing, I will never buy another Honda again. We had Toyotas previously and they were all great.

We currently also have a 2016 Hyundai Sante Fe which we bought used last October and we love it!

Next car will be another Hyundai or Suburu. We were even considering trading in our CRV for a used car, but it is paid for and only has 32, 000 miles on it.

Last edited:
My friend said the same thing about his 2013 Accord vs. his wife's 2013 Sonata. It's sad when Hyundai (remember the old garbage Excel and Sportages?!) is now better quality, nicer looking and perhaps even slightly cheaper compared to Honda.

In the spirit of LBYM, maybe owners could siphon off the extra oil and sell it to make side hustle money?

I kid, I kid! Sorry for those having problems. It really stinks.

My friend said the same thing about his 2013 Accord vs. his wife's 2013 Sonata. It's sad when Hyundai (remember the old garbage Excel and Sportages?!) is now better quality, nicer looking and perhaps even slightly cheaper compared to Honda.

It's sad for Honda, but not for us Hyundai owners. We've had two and the first one went 120,000 miles before needing front brakes (plus the usual oil/filter changes, and tires). we gave that one to DD and she drove it to college for 4 more years.

Our 2013 Santa Fe with 85,000 miles has been trouble free. I just put front brakes on it last week. Dead reliable car and great traveller.

I have one Honda and 3 Hyundais.... the one thing that Honda has going for it is resale value... this is important in case the car is totaled...

I got one of my Hundai from my sister who paid big money for it and it lost 75% of its value in 4 years... only had 18K miles on it...

She bought another as she does like the car... I look forward to buying that from her in another 3 as it has been a year since she sold me the other :dance:

The 1.5 engine has another problem besides the gas in the oil. They are also complaints that it does not produce enough heat during the winter months. The colder it gets the worst the lack of cabin heat.

This new models also have direct injection, the injectors are inside the combustion chamber next to the spark plugs.

If you looking to buy a CRV look at the 2.4L and avoid the 1.5L. Not sure how reliable the CVT trans is going to be.

I live in Winnipeg.

No problem on both cases.

But hey, my car is plugged in the beginning of November when temperatures hit -10 at night. Bought a timer, warms for about 3 - 4 hours in the morning. Changed oil 2 times, no problems yet.
Car is 1,5 years old

fingers crossed

Part of the issue is that the manufacturers reduced piston ring tensions greatly in a effort to reduce friction and increase mileage/efficiency. You can see how a turbo coupled with raw fuel could simply get pushed past the weaker rings. New car blow by. It’s happening with Subaru’s as well.

Part of the issue is that the manufacturers reduced piston ring tensions greatly in a effort to reduce friction and increase mileage/efficiency. You can see how a turbo coupled with raw fuel could simply get pushed past the weaker rings. New car blow by. It’s happening with Subaru’s as well.
My Subbie has 120k. This is the first time I'm letting it go to 5k between oil changes. It is due as I'm at 6k. Whoops. Anyway, I just checked it yesterday (probably this thread got in my mind) and the oil level has gone up slightly since my oil change. So, yeah, I have a mild case. But it has 120k too.

Well, it is better than creating honey and molasses, which my Olds did. Intake gasket failures allowed coolant to mix with oil. Nice way to make syrup!

People generally think because it's new and it has a warranty it will be reliable (and it should be) unfortunately all too often that's not the case.

The worst car I've ever owned was new and it had to have been to the dealer 10 times in the first 2 years, the dealer was 60 miles away....

In 2000 I bought a V6 Accord. The transmission was replaced at 2 weeks; and again at 150k miles. Was going strong at 295k when I sold it.

Bought a 2018 Honda CRV. Check the oil every week; no gas in the oil. Very good car.

Inherited a 2015 Hyundai Genesis. Excellent car and was voted the Motor Trend Car of the Year for 2019.

I guess I've been lucky with these cars. The accord transmission was diagnosed at the time of purchase so the two week wait was for the new transmission to arrive.

15+ years ago they had a big problem with the auto trannies on their V6 vehicles, and essentially told customers "too bad" if they needed replacement out of warranty (one poster I read claimed they had to replace the transmission in their Odyssey three times before it reached 100,000 miles)

Our 2006 Odyssey had one of the problem transmissions. Honda replaced it free of charge less than a year after we bought the car. We've since replaced it one more time (a year ago, different transmission issue). It was cheaper than buying a comparable vehicle.

We now have approx. 190K miles on that van and it shows no sign of stopping. We've been very happy with it, and I would not avoid Hondas in the future - but we will do our research before buying any car to help avoid known problems.

Between me and my kids, I’ve bought 8 Honda cars over the years. The only one that has ever given me any problems is my current Ridgeline. I had an emissions light come on, and took it to the dealer. Dealer did a software fix. 1500 miles later, back on it came. Took it in to a different dealer...who said the original dealer didn’t complete the software fix problem, and re-did the software fix. 10 miles later, back on it came. I took it back and they said “well, it must be the catalytic converters”. Waited four days, out of state, over July 4th, away from my family, for it to be delivered and installed. Another 1500 miles, and back on it came. Then they said, “we’ll have to change the fuel injector rail and the injectors.” So they did. That seems to have completed the fix for this problem, for now. Then the Navi went out. Had that replaced. When I bought the Ridgeline, I did something I almost never do, unless, I’m buying a Ford: I bought the extended warranty. The problems started at 35k miles and extended to about 45k miles. If I had not purchased the warranty, I’d be staring down an $8000 or so tab for repairs. The warranty lasts until 80k miles. This truck will be sold before it hits 79,999 miles, just in case. My CRV, otoh, nor any of my other Honda’s, has ever had any problem.

I spoke with my Honda dealership this week about the fuel in oil issue. At first, they downplayed it, and said it did not happen to all of the 1.5L engines. When I said that I have an elevated oil level and fuel smell on the dipstick they really changed their tune. We are scheduled for the software patch tomorrow. The details and evidence that I picked up here were definitely helpful.

I live in Winnipeg.
But hey, my car is plugged in the beginning of November when temperatures hit -10 at night. Bought a timer, warms for about 3 - 4 hours in the morning. Changed oil 2 times, no problems yet.
Car is 1,5 years old
fingers crossed
That was my thinking when I suggested this. In addition to quick warm-ups, gas is volatile, this can be exploited.

When arriving home with a hot engine, pop the hood and remove the oil filler cap. That might be enough during the summer months. Worth a try.

A little inconvenient, but I would try something like using an oil pan heater plugged in overnight with the oil fill cap removed to accelerate fuel evaporation.

I sold my 2008 Honda Accord LX (138K miles on it) this past May for $6,400. I am grateful to have sold it for a reasonable price. I purchased a 2018 Toyota Rav 4 Hybrid as a replacement.

The reason for my frustration with Honda is that 2 1/2 years earlier, the Accord had 97,000 miles on it and the engine stopped - on Christmas Eve. The car was towed to the local dealer and Honda claimed that the vehicle did not have any oil in the vehicle. Anyway, I provided receipts that I had changed the oil each 3K - 5K miles over the life of the vehicle and that the last oil change had taken place at the 95,200 mile mark. There are numerous articles of problems with the 2008 Accord Engine losing oil - and Honda refused to fix.

Since the vehicle was no longer under warranty, Honda generously offered to replace the engine for $3,500. Since the car was not running, it was my best option at the time - as opposed to putting in a rebuilt engine that may or may not work.

Over the last 5 years = when the car was cold, the vehicle made a harsh sound during starting which Honda claimed they were aware of - but no fix offered.

Anyway, I just didn't like doing business with Honda after the aforementioned experiences and took my business to a closer dealer and brand - which was Toyota. So far, after 7 months - the Rav 4 runs like a charm.

I

You don't check your oil while filling the gas tank? Wow.........

I kinda got laughed off an earlier thread for mentioning that I still check my oil level regularly. Maybe I'm not so out of line for doing so after all based on your experience. My cars are almost two decades old ('99 Buick Century, '99 Ford F-150 and a 2000 Honda Civic), have lotsa miles on 'em and, for quite a while now, I've been in the "check-your-oil" habit. I've never had an instance of one of them being unexpectedly low on oil despite dozens and dozens of checks, but still, nothing else to do while the tank is filling. And I also give a quick glance at some of the other fluid levels.

Did you ask for and did Honda give you any diagnosis accounting for the no oil situation? Oil pan plug missing or loose? Gasket blown? Oil filter loose? If your car was normal at the prior oil change and then lost 4 - 5 quarts of oil rather quickly, something happened.

You don't check your oil while filling the gas tank? Wow.........

I kinda got laughed off an earlier thread for mentioning that I still check my oil level regularly. Maybe I'm not so out of line for doing so after all based on your experience. My cars are almost two decades old ('99 Buick Century, '99 Ford F-150 and a 2000 Honda Civic), have lotsa miles on 'em and, for quite a while now, I've been in the "check-your-oil" habit. I've never had an instance of one of them being unexpectedly low on oil despite dozens and dozens of checks, but still, nothing else to do while the tank is filling. And I also give a quick glance at some of the other fluid levels.

Did you ask for and did Honda give you any diagnosis accounting for the no oil situation? Oil pan plug missing or loose? Gasket blown? Oil filter loose? If your car was normal at the prior oil change and then lost 4 - 5 quarts of oil rather quickly, something happened.

My '95 BMW has sensors that trigger warnings for both low oil level and low coolant.

My '95 BMW has sensors that trigger warnings for both low oil level and low coolant.
Well yea, but do the sensors tell you when the oil is overfull due to gasoline dilution? ;)

Our 2006 Odyssey had one of the problem transmissions. Honda replaced it free of charge less than a year after we bought the car. We've since replaced it one more time (a year ago, different transmission issue). It was cheaper than buying a comparable vehicle.

We now have approx. 190K miles on that van and it shows no sign of stopping. We've been very happy with it, and I would not avoid Hondas in the future - but we will do our research before buying any car to help avoid known problems.

Two transmissions in under 200,000 miles is still...ungood.

Of course, those older types could be replaced for as little as $2,500.

Current Honda models use 9-10 speed transmissions or a CVT...which cost on the order of a new engine to replace.

I live in Winnipeg.

Car is 1,5 years old

fingers crossed
I have another comment for the owners of CRV with the turbo motor.
This week for example is really, really cold here. -26 degrees or -14.8 Fahrenheit
It's crazy cold.
Well, in order to the engine warms faster, the best way is to TURN OFF the economic drive mode. Yes, if you turn it off, the car gets in ideal temperature faster.
Without turning off it takes forever to raise temperature in this extremely cold weather.

I have another comment for the owners of CRV with the turbo motor.
This week for example is really, really cold here. -26 degrees or -14.8 Fahrenheit
It's crazy cold.
Well, in order to the engine warms faster, the best way is to TURN OFF the economic drive mode. Yes, if you turn it off, the car gets in ideal temperature faster.
Without turning off it takes forever to raise temperature in this extremely cold weather.

How does that system work? I know some pickup trucks use a cold weather algorithm with delayed shift points so the engines revs more and heats up more quickly. It does this automatically since it can sense the temperature. The delayed shift points are not good for fuel economy but so is running below normal operating temp.

How does that system work? I know some pickup trucks use a cold weather algorithm with delayed shift points so the engines revs more and heats up more quickly. It does this automatically since it can sense the temperature. The delayed shift points are not good for fuel economy but so is running below normal operating temp.
I'm not sure how it actually works, but I know when activated the motor runs at a lower rotation. That's what I can tell from my observation, when off the rotation is always higher than"normal"

I will take a Japanese car maker over a problematic American or European car make any day of the week. Reminds me of the old 1986 movie Gung-Ho that describes how terrible American car makes really are.

I will take a Japanese car maker over a problematic American or European car make any day of the week. Reminds me of the old 1986 movie Gung-Ho that describes how terrible American car makes really are.

so how's that turbo crv working out for ya?

Back
Top Bottom