How do you live after FIRE ?

We each have a small pension, savings, and I had a part time job until recently. Being 65 I just started my small SS. We have HC through my employer but it’s not cheap.

We saved since 1984, and are now living off our IRA's (used to be our corporate 401k's until we converted to lower fee funds at Vanguard). I recommend this article for figuring out how to convert that money you'll squirrel away into a 'paycheck'. https://www.theretirementmanifesto.com/how-to-build-a-retirement-paycheck/

I have a modest pension, started my SS at 62, and DH is taking my spousal benefit until he turns 70. We'll have a BIG bump in four years when that happens.

I have Retiree Medical for (HOPEFULLY!) two more years, then I'm on Medicare. DH is on Medicare. Best thing since sliced bread.

Retired at 56, now 62. Been living on post tax brokerage account and a yearly 12k IRA distribution.

DW has her Medicare I'm doing ACA. It's great I can buy insurance, using it is nearly impossible. I need surgery only there's no providers in network. I'm still trying to figure out what to do and suddenly I need another procedure.

Retired at 57 w/pension. Megacorp pays our monthly BC/BS premiums. Taking SS in a few years (at 62 our pension decreases by $1K/month, while our combined SS at 62 will be $3K/month).

Wow.... Must be from IL... saying this as they have a big pension mess on their hands.

No, California. Same big pension mess, just a bigger system with more money. Although I'm sure I'll weather the financial storm because of my age, the current younger workers won't get off as easy down the road.

DW & I 61 now. We manage our income from IRA's and dividends to 64K MAGI and still get a $0 ACA BCBS bronze plan because of high cost silver plans in our area. Embarrassing. Any extra needs are covered from after tax saving withdrawals.

DB pension, investment income. Healthcare costs not an issue-we have medicare where we live.

Military pension, dividends on numerous stocks and bond funds, withdrawal from IRA's. Soon will have SS and the mortgage paid off.

Retired at 56 and have enjoyed the last 10 years.

For those with no more jobs(Not while one spouse still has PT/FT jobs), is it through dividends/interest ? Rental income ? What else ? Trying to get some idea what successful FIRE people do to live before SS.

What about health insurance(Again not if one spouse still has a job and covers insurance) before Medicare ?
I am a 70-year-old woman, unmarried, and live alone. I have not worked for even one minute since my retirement at age 61, almost 10 years ago. Not even a "fun job", or volunteer work. I am done, done, done...

INCOME/EXPENSES:
1) Mini-pension (very small dollar amount)
2) dividends from my investment portfolio (broad index funds, 30% Wellesley VWIAX)
3) Social Security, at least now although I did not have it for the first few years of retirement.
4) Paid off mortgage and car, no other debt, no dependents.

HEALTH INSURANCE:
1) Part of my retirement planning was to take a job qualifying me for federal employee/retiree health insurance.
2) Medicare. With Medicare I pay the same for my federal retiree health insurance as I did before, but my insurance now acts as a Medicare supplement and covers more than it used to cover.

Thanks everyone for sharing. Sounds like a lot of you are living on taxable dividends, pensions plus other things. I think we have to find time to build up more on our taxable accounts. We're just late to the game and unlikely to achieve FIRE before SS age due to busy with young kids among other things, wish I discovered it long ago.

So sounds like ACA is available if one stops getting income(zero active income), is that right ? Do interests/dividends/CG count as active income ?

No, California. Same big pension mess, just a bigger system with more money. Although I'm sure I'll weather the financial storm because of my age, the current younger workers won't get off as easy down the road

Yep. Know a couple whose pensions combined are ~$300K/year.

What gets me, is CA has to have the worst roads in the country.

Too much to cover in a few words. We left at age 53 with not a lot of money, so many of the early years were spent in living carefully. Here FWIW, a review of the years before Social Security @62, and withdrawing from the IRA's.

http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f27/sharing-23-years-of-frugal-retirement-62251.html

I recommend reading this one.

My story is much more erratic. Canned(layed off) at 50. A year or so as a jobshopper(high paid temp). 12 years without heatlh insurance (a no no ).
Hindsight - really cheap and frugal early. Mr Market and time were kind over 26 years.

heh heh heh - :cool:

Retired at 48 in 2006.

Built up a dividend growth individual stock portfolio while working, still 100% stocks. The dividend flow initially replaced 65% of my final salary, and has now grown to 170% of my final salary. Most was in IRAs, so used 72t SEP withdrawals to access funds until last year.

Bought individual coverage after COBRA ran out, now buying non-subsidized ACA - looking forward to Medicare in 4 years.

Very comfortably. And I do not pay FA 1%. Wellesley.

Thanks everyone for sharing. Sounds like a lot of you are living on taxable dividends, pensions plus other things. I think we have to find time to build up more on our taxable accounts. We're just late to the game and unlikely to achieve FIRE before SS age due to busy with young kids among other things, wish I discovered it long ago.

So sounds like ACA is available if one stops getting income(zero active income), is that right ? Do interests/dividends/CG count as active income ?

Nothing 'active' about it. Interest/dividends/cg and 401k?IRA withdrawals are taxable income. Contributing to Roth IRA's help manage that. However, before 59.5, those are taxed too.

https://www.fool.com/retirement/iras/the-roth-ira-part-iv-early-withdrawals.aspx

Just a thought - you may want to find a FEE ONLY financial planner who can walk you through the tax quagmire while you're in the planning stage.

Last edited:

Yes - all interest, dividends and Cap Gains count as income against the threshold for ACA subsidies. Even tax-free income (eg: from a muni bond fund or individual munis) counts for subsidy calculation purposes.

We're both 58. I retired at 52; DW at 56. We each have a small pension and affordable retiree health insurance from former employers. We also have a rental property that generates decent cashflow, and we take dividends in cash from our taxable brokerage account. Those sources cover 65-70% of spend, which includes all ongoing, non-discretionary expenses. Beyond that, we sell equities in the taxable account, usually just for large discretionary items like travel, home improvements, or a new car. Our WR is around 2.7%.

At the moment, our plan is to defer SS and RMDs to 70, which maximizes time to convert tIRAs to Roth. In the meantime, if the taxable account starts getting uncomfortably low, or if there's a sharp market decline, we might claim DW's SS a bit early and/or cut back on discretionary spend.

We also have two possible "Plan B" items that will likely occur before 70, including a small inheritance, and proceeds from downsizing the current house, which is way too big for the two of us.

As a sidenote: Prior to age 44 or so, our taxable account consisted only of a $50K emergency fund. But this grew very rapidly over the next several years as our income was growing (including stock options and bonuses), but our expenses were flat or even down slightly as we avoided lifestyle creep and the kids both went off to college. By 52, the taxable account was almost as big as tax-deferred and the kids were on their own.

Retired 2 days before my 57th birthday. Spent the last 17 months living off $1250 per month of taxable $$ and 1k a month in p/t discretionary $$. Insurance is via wife who works in a hospital. My portion runs a little over 300 per month. A steal.

I’m strategizing to transfer tIRA to Roth over the next few years as I have a State pension with 100% paid healthcare that starts in January 2021. Nice problem to have.

I stopped going to work at 45. Rent + dividends+ pension + 457 total about 50% more than I spend.

And CA does have awful roads.

I have a portfolio of stocks and bonds and I budget/spend a modest % of year end value of the portfolio during the following year. Most of the spending is dividends and interest, but I also tap into capital gains of the stock allocation a little to complete the withdrawal %.

Social security and a small pension await me down the road in a few years, basically treated as “reinforcements” for now.

Income taxes and medical insurance are included in the annual budget.

I came late to the party. I had to keep w*rking to have medical coverage for my late wife.

I did not have to worry about ACA or medical coverage until SS kicked in.

After I retired, I lived on SS and a small pension. A few years after my wife passed away, I remarried, and her SS and small pension covered all of our basic expenses..
We live modestly, no debt, which is one of the things that helps us.
For anything else, we use dividends and other investments,

The dividends from the taxable portion of my portfolio are paid directly into a savings account, which I then funnel into my checking account every month, for living expenses. Dividends from this part of my portfolio don't cover my living expenses on their own, so I also sell a small amount of one of my funds every year to make up the difference. I tend to carry a year or two's worth of living expenses in the savings account for emergency expenses, to act as a cushion, etc.

By the time I reach 59.5, in 4 years time, and can access my IRA's without the help of a 72(t), I would be able to live off dividends alone if my expenses are similar to what they are now. This is a big if, as I want to give myself a raise soon. I love cats, but I really don't need to leave all my money to the local cat charities when I go - just some of it :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom