How long do you plan to keep your car?

My main issue with minivans, is that I virtually never have any passengers other than Frank. I'd be perfectly happy with an SUV with no second or third row, but a second row seems obligatory even though what I really want is cargo space. Minivans often seat more than 8 people and that is just silly for someone like me.

Shhh...don't tell anyone...keep minivans cheap!

I have had far fewer problems with our 15-year-old Dodge Grand Caravan vs our 10-year-old Chevy Suburban.

Oops, too late. I do like the point about how sliding doors don’t ding every vehicle in the vicinity.

Imagine a ding-free world! Don’t you just hate that first one on your new ride?

Traded in my 2001 Buick Regal with 106,000 miles last December. Bought a 2017 Buick Cascada (You can get a bargain on a convertible in December . )

At my usual rate of about 3,000 miles per year- ( My now grown kids also used the Regal. I bought it in 2001 and not a convertible because my then 16 year old Daughter was going to be driving it. ) I should be in my 90's when the car hit's 100,000 miles. I will probably trade in in for a self driving car before then.

I inherited my DH's 2012 Toyota Camry with 49,000 miles on it in October. He bought a 2018 Toyota Tundra 4x4 TRD SR5. It now has about 2200 miles on it. Both of these vehicles were bought new. He also has a 2007 Corvette with 34,500 miles on it. It was bought second hand and it had a new engine and clutch put in in 2017. The engine blew at 22,000 miles. I donated my 2002 Buick Century to charity. I don't know how many miles were on it, since the odometer stopped working quite a while back. I bought it when it was a year old and had less than 2000 miles on it. It was still running fine.

I keep my trucks for ten years. Going to retire in 2020 and will sell this truck just before I sell my business. And buy a new 3500 4x4 diesel that should last me much longer without the trashing of working out of one has.

Current car bought this year Porsche 2015 911 GTS, intend to keep it for the longest time, we will see for how long.
Previous cars:
2015 Lexus Lx570 traded in with 30k miles
2013 BMW 328 Xdrive traded in with 13K miles
2014 Lexus GX460 still have it wifes car
the list goes on with several Lexii, Mercedes, BMW and trucks.

All cars paid cash for and only kept for 3 years.
You can tell I am a car guy

When we retired we splurged and bought new vehicles. My wife wanted a truck so she got a red 2011 F150. It now has 25k miles after 8 years and looks showroom. I bought an Escape in 2012. Also showroom with 56k miles after 7 years. I think we will keep them a little longer. Maybe 10 more years. By then they might take away my license if I'm still around. Or a self driving car might be in my future.

Cheers!

The ones I like, I keep long enough so that they have gone completely through the depreciation cycle and have started back up the appreciation cycle as antiques.

I sold one this year I bought used in 1992 for $6,000, put tons of miles on it since it was my daily driver for 15 years, and sold it last May for just under $10,000.

Last edited:
I got rid of my14 year old truck, which I loved, 3 years ago for a Toyota Highlander. It's a great vehicle, I hope to have it for at least 10 years. But if any car I have becomes unreliable, I get rid of it. Life is too short to spend much of it waiting for tow trucks.
A year ago DW's 11 year old Subaru started leaving her stranded, and the head scratching of the technicians left me worried. We replaced it a year ago with a brand new Honda CR-V, which she loves. Unfortunately it has an issue with gasoline diluting the oil, and so far Honda is trying to pretend that it doesn't exist, and besides, it's not a problem etc etc. Very disappointed in Honda...had hoped to keep the CR-V for a long time, now, not so sure.

Once we paid off our 2003 VW Passat and 2006 Honda Accord about 10 years ago, we put the money we had been paying for one car loan into a separate savings account. In 2016 the Passat started having recurring issues, and we decided to trade it in for a 2017 Subaru Outback, which we paid for in cash. We'll probably replace the Accord in 2020, preferably with an electric vehicle, and either sell the Accord or give it to the kid, who will be going off to college at that point. Then we'll start saving up again for another new car...the timing depends on the condition, mileage, and satisfaction with the existing cars, mostly, but as someone pointed out, 10 years is usually enough time for a lot of useful and convenient technology to make it into the base models, so that's when we'd generally start thinking about it.

I've had 2 cars, 3 trucks and a motorcycle. Been driving for 21 years. Paid a total of $6000 for the 2 cars, sold them after beating the heck out of them for $2,000.

Then my first truck is a '99 I still own, my second was a '12 Silverado I sold on Maui before I left, owned it 2 years, paid 27k sold it for 24k. Work paid to ship it to Maui.

Last truck, paid $32k for it in 2014. Plan on keeping it for at least another decade.

Motorcycle was fun. DF wrecked it one afternoon hitting a patch of sand. Split that with him for $1700 and sold my share back to him when I moved to the island, then he totaled it a few years after that and insurance paid him $4500 for the bike and all his medical bills.

$8700 / (21*12) = $35/month total cost of ownership if you don't include my late model pickup I am driving. Not too bad. Once I bought the shiny new truck it looks like it will cost me about $222/month if it lasts 12 years and I sell for nothing. Talk about life creep. Even if I sell it for $12,000 in 8 years with about 150k miles on it I would still be at $139/month cost of purchase. Still better than a lease though. I haven't spent that much on repairs maybe 10k in my life for maintenance and repairs. Cheaper than a lifetime Lyft payment.

I still own and drive my first vehicle - a 1978 Jeep CJ5 Renegade. I intend to eventually be buried in it.

My main issue with minivans, is that I virtually never have any passengers other than Frank. I'd be perfectly happy with an SUV with no second or third row, but a second row seems obligatory even though what I really want is cargo space. ...

On all the SUVs I know of (and I'm talking the smaller ones, I think they call them 'crossover'?) the rear seats fold down easily, so you do get quite a bit of cargo space.

Oops, too late. I do like the point about how sliding doors don’t ding every vehicle in the vicinity.

Imagine a ding-free world! Don’t you just hate that first one on your new ride?

We had a mini-van when our kids were little, and the sliding doors and ding-free result were something I was always very happy with, and seldom mentioned.

When a small kid gets out of a car, they may not be able to hold onto that big door, and they may ding the car next to them. That never happens with the sliding doors. They were great with small kids!

-ERD50

We had a mini-van when our kids were little, and the sliding doors and ding-free result were something I was always very happy with, and seldom mentioned.

When a small kid gets out of a car, they may not be able to hold onto that big door, and they may ding the car next to them. That never happens with the sliding doors. They were great with small kids!

-ERD50

I sometimes wished my parents had bought a car with sliding doors when I was a kid. I remember when my parents bought a 1972 Olds Delta 88 and picked it up on my 9th birthday. The first time I closed the big door, I closed it on my leg. I wasn't hurt, but it was a nice "birthday present," huh?

I eventually figured out how to get my leg into the car without closing the door on it. Nine years later, it would become the first car I drove, a few months before my parents got rid of the gas guzzler, doors and all!

-ERD50

Right! This is no doubt location-dependent, but parking spaces aren’t getting any bigger either. I think twice when choosing a spot and pay attention to the “next-door” vehicle. I have to have a really good reason to go to the nearest Whole Foods although it brings back childhood memories of “bumper cars” at carnivals.

Have a 2015 Subaru Outback with 65,000. When I bought this car I knew I was going to keep for a long time so purchased a 100,000 mile extended warranty. Have not needed that and have a feeling I won't. Also have a 2018 motorcycle but that's more a toy then used for transportation.

I usually will keep a vehicle until I no longer trust it for long trips (over 150 miles) - at least 10 years.

1997 Toyota Camry - 170,000 runs like a kitten. Will keep until it drives no more.
2004 Toyota Camry - 273,000 runs like a kitten. Will keep until it drives no more.
Bodies are in good condition. A little rust on the 1997. We bought them new and took care of them.

Our last two cars were replaced at 210,000 and at 295,000 miles. Both were traded in at 15 years. We believe we are on our last two cars with a 2018 Honda CRV and a 2015 Hyundai Genesis. Neither has enough miles to brag about. :)

I have a 2006 white Toyota 4Runner with 150,000 miles on it. It replaced a 1996 white 4Runner with nearly 200,000 on it. I am starting to drool at the new 4Runners....

1993 MB second owner, daily driver after almost 24 years of ownership. We keep em until somebody crashes into us.....buy what you like and it will never become dull.

Attachments

• butch4.jpg
    butch4.jpg
    730.5 KB · Views: 23

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom