How Many Eye Glasses Do You Use?

easysurfer

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Things are getting out of hand.

I have 7 eyeglasses that I use :facepalm:

All serve a purpose. I should start giving them human names like John or Jim :(.

Five.
My regular pair
My old pair - use when I work out
Fashion sunglasses
Cycling sunglasses
Old cycling sunglasses- use to hike

Two:

One pair for normal day to day wearing.

One pair of sunglasses.

Both are prescription and are progressive bifocals.

I have a spare for each which are the "old" ones.

(I wanted to make this a poll thread but hit the submit button before checking the poll, Oh well).

Of the seven I use, I primarily use 2. One that is about 20 years old, for day to day in the house, the other about a 15 year old computer glasses.

one - day to day indoors
two - computer glasses by my desktop
three - daytime driving
four - daytime driving in bright sun (in car transitions)
five - night time driving
six - old glasses that works for laptop and stored in laptop bag
seven - prescription sunglasses

3:

Prescription progressive bifocals
Sunglass Prescription bifocals
Progressive computer glasses, lower for reading, upper for slightly longer distance to laptop or desktop screen.

I was skeptical of the last one but it really makes a difference.

My distance vision is actually pretty good since I had LASIK done over 20 years ago, but a little correction helps, especially for driving. I do have some regular sunglasses for when perfect vision isn't critical, and a few nonprescription readers stashed around the house that I hardly need anymore since I tend to keep my prescription glasses handy.

I've been seeing the eye doc every other year and only replace one pair of glasses at a time since my vision doesn't change much.

Three:

Prescription - regular glasses for driving/distance
Prescription - sunglasses for driving
Prescription - reading glasses

Two:

One pair for normal day to day wearing.

One pair of sunglasses.

Both are prescription and are progressive bifocals.

I have a spare for each which are the "old" ones.

About the same combo here, but I don’t have a backup pair of prescription sunglasses.

Two

Regular progressives. I wear for night driving or distance vision.

Progressive sunglasses. I use for anything outdoors.

I always get the automatic tinting when I buy glasses, unless they are computer glasses, so I don't need sunglasses in addition to my regular glasses.

So I use 3 pairs:
Outside
Old pair by the tv
computer glasses.

I don't wear my glasses in the house, which is why I have an old pair by the TV, so I don't have to hunt for my glasses when it's TV time.

Since my cataract surgery, 8 years ago, I no longer need glasses for distance vision. :dance:

I use readers up close. They are SO CHEAP on Amazon these days! Today I see 5 pairs for $8, 6 pairs for $10, and so on. I probably have about 15-20 pairs in every color of the rainbow. Some are in different strengths since I wanted to try stronger or weaker ones. Like easysurfer, there are just 2-3 pairs that I use a lot.

I have a nice pair of Ray-ban non-prescription polarized sunglasses that I always wear for driving, and keep in the car. They are amazing but cost a lot.

None, but I use 3 magnifying glasses of different sizes.

2 have duct tape on them.

Zero. I went for monovision lens when cataract surgery came due. I had used monovision contacts for years. I used to have reading glasses all over the house, work, the car, in my pocket...

Three

Regular glasses with progressive lenses
Sunglasses with progressive lenses
Bicycling glasses

The ones I wear all day and my sunglasses which I keep in the car.

Three plus. My prescription has not changed much in the past several years. I get computer glasses which are basically progressive lenses. I don’t need glasses for distance. The computer glasses allow me to see the screen and be able to view papers and such on my desk.

I keep the newest pair at my chair where I use my iPad. I keep the next oldest pair at my desk (main computer). I keep the next oldest in my pocket as they work well for reading glasses - mostly my phone.

The plus is that I have non-prescription reading glasses around the house and in my car. One on the nightstand, one in the bathroom and one in my vehicle.

About the same combo here, but I don’t have a backup pair of prescription sunglasses.

I bought a second pair of sunglasses from Zenni when they had a 20% off sale to keep in the second car (now only one car these days).

Two. When indoors, I have been wearing non-prescription reading glasses for the last 10 years, gradually increasing the magnification over that time but have not increased it in the last 2 or 3 years. Since last November, I have been wearing prescription distance glasses at certain times - mainly when driving (that was the motivation for getting them, especially for the rare nighttime driving I do) and if I am walking outside at night (mainly in the winter months with earlier sunsets). I don't wear the distance glasses indoors.

Eleven
  • I have 2 progressives, new and old pair (driving & anything out and about, shopping, restaurants, concerts, etc.)
  • I have 2 progressive sunglasses, new (cooking) and old pair (pickle ball & yard work).
  • I have 4 cheapo 2.5 readers in family room (reading), office (computer), bathroom (shaving) & laundry.
  • I have 2 cheapo 1.0 readers for TV in family room & bedroom.
  • I have 1 cheapo 1.5 readers for golf in golf bag. I can't handle progressives for golf.
I win. And I don't have to remember where they are...

I should probably just rely on progressives more, but I had cheapo readers scattered around long before I ever bought progressives, and never stopped the practice. Never needed glasses until my mid 40's, and prescription has changed very slowly ever since - that's why I was reluctant to buy anything but cheapo readers until my 60's.

Last edited:
I have my latest prescription, and two older pairs.

I use whichever one I can find. (I am a bit ADD.)

During my last visit to the optometrist, he told me that I had cataracts, and referred me to a surgeon. He also prescribed new glasses for me. I asked him whether the surgery would result in yet another prescription, and he conceded that was very possible - so I told him I would hold off on the new glasses until after I consulted with the surgeon. The way I'm going - that will probably be next year.

Am I the only one who only uses 1 pair of glasses? They progressive and transition.
I'm the same as you. Only need sunglasses in the car and Zenni has $4 clip ons that fit perfect so I usually buy about 4 pairs if the clip ons to cover loss, breakage etc.

I’m married to a retired optometrist and wish I had purchased more glasses at cost when it was possible. For most of my life, I didn’t need glasses at all, so that discount was wasted on me. Now I need reading glasses, so I have glasses for the house and glasses that I keep in my vehicle.

I use for pairs. Transition glasses for most uses, computer glasses ,sunglasses for driving and an old pair if I'm watching tv in bed.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom