How Many Eye Glasses Do You Use?

I have a couple of pair of very dark safety glasses made by Klein Tools and Milwaukee tools for flying R/C airplanes.

I had no idea there was such a thing. I used to have a red pair to help see the red dot from the laser measuring device I had. did not really do it for me though.

I’ve been wearing glasses since I was seven. I have two pairs-progressive bifocals and computer/music glasses-one diopter less correction. Both are transition lenses. I play music outdoors all summer.

When reading I take my glasses off when I can.

I have a couple of pair of very dark safety glasses made by Klein Tools and Milwaukee tools for flying R/C airplanes.

I had no idea there was such a thing. I used to have a red pair to help see the red dot from the laser measuring device I had. did not really do it for me though.

Ah, I probably phrased that awkwardly. The sunglasses are not made specifically for flying R/C airplanes, but they are made for job sites, where there isn't a lot of greenery to absorb sunlight, which reflects more off bare concrete and dug-up dirt & sand.

Three:

Prescription - regular glasses for driving/distance
Prescription - sunglasses for driving
Prescription - reading glasses

Same, except for the reading glasses. I buy half a dozen cheapies at dollar tree at a time and keep one in my coat pocket, one on my nightstand, one next to my computer, one in the truck, one in the car, one in the family room, and a pair in the kitchen. When they break, Im out $1.25/pair

I have prescription glasses for distance vision and drugstore reading glasses. Whichever pair I'm not wearing is usually in my regular shirt pocket or hooked over the neck of my t-shirt. I am constantly losing the reading glasses when I bend over while I work out in the yard and garden. But they're really cheap.

I am so pleased to hear your wife is doing well with the multi-focal option! (Did she have any astigmatism before?)

I used to have multi-focal RGP contacts, which I loved, until early cataracts somehow made RGPs no longer feasible. I have pretty bad astigmatism, which soft lenses can't correct.

Yet when I asked my eye doctor if she'd recommend multi-focal cataract lenses when the time comes, she said No. She's seen too many cases where the multi-focal rings irritate people, cause haloes, etc.

]

Amethyst, she did not have astigmatism before the surgery.
Sorry to hear that your astigmatism is impacting your choices and decisions for cataracts.
Good luck.

Regular progressive,
newer sunglasses kept in the car,
older sunglasses for taking walks.

I am very glad I had LASIK two decades ago (roughly -8 in both eyes prior to surgery)

Now I only (occasionally) need reading glasses or a magnifying glass.

Somewhere between 6 and 10

I buy from Zenni and regular bifocals were costing me about $35. I order them two at a time, and not so good at throwing out the old.

4 - all readers - various strengths, but somehow they all migrate together throughout the house!

Things are getting out of hand.

I have 7 eyeglasses that I use :facepalm:

All serve a purpose. I should start giving them human names like John or Jim :(.

One. They are progressive and transition lenses.

I don’t get needing more than one. They’re expensive as it is.

I have no glasses!!!

A year ago I had the lenses in my eyes replaced. The procedure is called refractive lens exchange (RLE). I used to have correction for distance, computer glasses, combination glasses with progressive readers, and cheaters here and there. I now can see without any glasses! And, since I live in the cloudy Pacific Northwest, I don't even use sunglasses.

Mark

6, including a spare that is still close to my current prescription.

Not including all the other glasses I still hold onto with prescriptions that don't work well (since fashion/size comes back around some day and then I can reuse the frame...).

I don’t get needing more than one. They’re expensive as it is.

I keep all of my older glasses, probably going back 25-30 years (I've worn glasses for 40). When I started to need computer and then reading glasses, I reached into my stash and pulled out out-of-fashion frames, because who cares what you are wearing while you are sitting there? And you don't need many of the add-on coatings for reading and computer, so all of that keeps the cost down. I've also reused the frames for my distance glasses and sunglasses many times.

Probably a dozen, maybe more. One or two in each of three vehicles. One or two in most rooms, 4 or so at the camp.
I buy them for a few bucks, 1.75 Diopter, for reading, at various discount stores. Technically should do prescription to correct for skew, but it is only a few degrees IIRC around 8 or 10, and with the miracle of human brain's of eye input to adapt, I don't bother getting overpriced prescription. 'been doing it for the last ten or so years since I had cataract surgery on both eyes.

The annoying part is that before cataract surgery all sorts of computer measurements were made to model the eye shape and dimensions, and reviewed by the opthalmologist before cut, extraxt and insert. Still need readers.
Though likely the artifical lenses can only correct for near or far vision. Suspect the muscles controlling the Diopter of the orignal lenses are insufficient in strenght to compress or expand the plastic lenses. Choosing for distance vision was the most prudent move.
BTW besides regaining color perception, the other upside of the plastic inserts is their ability cut off UV frequencies.

After cataract surgery I have
3 pairs of "cheaters" for close reading I bought from Costco (came in a 3 pack)
1 pair of sunglasses also a Kirkland brand
2 pairs of safety glasses. One for bright light and one for low light. I also use for bike riding.
I gave all the old prescription glasses to the optometrist office to recycle.

Cheers

Well.

When I didn't had prescription glasses:
3 in each of the cars I may drive.
2 more sun glasses in the house.

Now
2 prescription sunglasses in each of the car I regularly drive, skipped the 3rd.
1 regular in-house use
1 backup in house use
1 for yard use (it gets scratched, bent, etc. over time)
I also save last years glasses so I don't count those.

One pair of sunglasses with prescription

One pair of regular glasses with the same prescription (primarily for night driving.)

I have reading glasses but use them very little.

6 pairs of sunglasses, one for windy days, the rest for fashion and protection.

5 pairs of readers I strategically place around the house where I need a pair at that moment. Where we bring in the mail, in my bathroom, near the computer, near the big screen tv for iPad use while watching, and near the other TV for convenience. I rarely say "where are my glasses?" I got a pack of 6 on Amazon.

After cataract surgery I have
3 pairs of "cheaters" for close reading I bought from Costco (came in a 3 pack)
1 pair of sunglasses also a Kirkland brand
2 pairs of safety glasses. One for bright light and one for low light. I also use for bike riding.

We have 8 or 9 pairs of cheaters spread among the house, vehicles, and bicycles. Plus a half-dozen broken ones stashed for spare parts.

I have one pair of sunglasses that I really need to replace, as the lenses are getting a little cloudy on the tops and bottoms, probably from exposure to sunscreen.

Safety glasses, love them! We have probably 10 pairs of various shades—clear, yellow, blue, and dark blue-grey. The yellow and blue shades are perfect for biking on cloudy days or on shaded trails. Even the clear ones offer UV protection. I always wear a pair when doing yardwork, whether using power equipment or not. Saves the eyes from any debris I stir up and from getting poked by branches when pruning.

We also have some gaming glasses that we got for blue light reduction when using computers in the evening. Don't use them much though, I started just reducing my screen brightness in the evening and reducing evening screen time in general.

I guess I'm glad to see I'm not crazy having several pairs of glasses around. I have one pair of prescription progressives with prism for general wear, i.e. distance and driving. I have drugstore progressives with a different range and no prism for computer and I use single vision readers from the drugstore to read. I keep pairs of those all over the place including bedroom, kitchen, sewing table, car, and my bag. I also keep a few pairs in reserve. I sometimes wear sunglasses over my prescription glasses when I drive.

I'm in a research study where I get cognitive testing and I have to keep switching between the 3 kinds of glasses because testing goes from on a screen to using paper and to oral questions. I feel a bit nuts about it but I am reminded I see much better now than I did 5-10 years ago and I'm grateful for that.

I still need another pair of glasses. Was really apparent recently as while using the best one I own, driving when there wasn't much light before and at the break of dawn the glare from car headlights was terrible. Then I noticed my right and left vision wasn't paired right as driving and looking at signs on the interstate I was seeing double vision. Later in the day, when things got brighter, I was able to see normally again.

I went ahead to a nearby Pearle Vision and gave my current prescription to have a pair made. I'm already having buyer's remorse and in doubt the glasses will be any good. I don't mind paying a premium if the glasses are done so I can see clearly. The glasses won't be ready until 7-14 days but I noticed shortcuts were taken in measuring. No pupillometer used to measure my PD instead just dotted the lenses with felt tip markers. Also, did even remove the anti-theft device on the frame arm while measuring.

When I asked, after the glasses are done, do the patients go to a room and try out their vision with them on? Answer, "Nope". I should have walked away then. Is that too much to ask? Or am I the crazy one? If that is the norm, then how the heck to people get glasses that work besides just trial and error?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom